Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #71
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Yah its seems like anyone headed to the track should pull it so you dont get flagged later!

Someone should pull the antenna and see if it damages the board. Not all radios willl be damaged if its disconnected, it depends on how lazy or constrained the engineers were - some rasios will sense this.

Also its extremely unlikely the radio will work without the antenna, especially given its location behind the metal panels of the car/by wires/near metal enclosures, etc.

Hmm, I disclosed to the insurance company this was a weekend track car when I applied for insurance. They told me they had no issues with that.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #72
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLimit View Post
This is a great idea. If they work as expected can you post the vendor link for the 575 MHz GPS L1 Bandpass Filters?
It seems that the Chevy GPS does not use L1 my guess it it's utilizing L2 at this point, I am working with a vendor to provide me an L1 & L2 bandpass filter, however the L1 filter did in fact block all cellular connectivity even at close range to a cell site.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #73
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
It seems that the Chevy GPS does not use L1 my guess it it's utilizing L2 at this point, I am working with a vendor to provide me an L1 & L2 bandpass filter, however the L1 filter did in fact block all cellular connectivity even at close range to a cell site.

Good info... I'll need to send my L1 bandpass filters back to the vendor when it arrives in the mail.
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #74
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
@cellsafemode:

Is there any Sim Card visible on the Onstar PCB?

I live in Europe and GM will turn off Onstar completely in 2020. The car is less than a year old and GM informed me about this issue.

I prefer to keep at least the data package and Wifi and replace the Sim for that.

The question is just: is it worth disassembling the PCB to replace the Sim? It's only worth if there is really a physical Sim (not an E-Sim)?

Thank you.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #75
mbnwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
@cellsafemode:

I live in Europe and GM will turn off Onstar completely in 2020. The car is less than a year old and GM informed me about this issue.

I prefer to keep at least the data package and Wifi and replace the Sim for that.

The question is just: is it worth disassembling the PCB to replace the Sim? It's only worth if there is really a physical Sim (not an E-Sim)?

Thank you.
The OnStar module does not have a physical SIM card, it's a form of E-SIM however on top of that, even in the US when you activate the OnStar module with AT&T (outside of OnStar) all data is passed to OnStars proxy servers, in other words the APN that is provisioned on the module connects to OnStars hardware before going out to the internet. So far none of the cellular tools I have allow me to program the APN or any other settings on the modem module for OnStar.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
Old 09-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #76
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
That means, it will be impossible to use any of the Onstar stuff after 2020 in Europe. Pretty sad.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #77
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I’ve never owned a car with Onstar, my 1LE is my first. Can someone clearly up what Onstar does? What I mean by that is, my insurance will contact onstar to see my driving habits? Or onstar automatically report it to my insurance or some type of database for insurance company to check?

My trial period just ended yesterday. I will not be renewing the onstar, wasn’t planning to anyway.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #78
sport65

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue, NPP,A8
Is their any warranty issues with this onstar delete? I assume the dealer will know about it when they do any service work?
Old 11-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #79
mbnwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLimit View Post
Good info... I'll need to send my L1 bandpass filters back to the vendor when it arrives in the mail.
I just got a custom L1-L2 filter, I just need to connect it up and see how things work and if it blocks the cellular reception or if it allows it to pass due to the L2 freq being added.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #80
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
@cellsafemode:

Thank you.
So you have active OnStar service in Switzerland? (this is where you are, right?). I thought that it was only active in the States. What other stuff can you do with the Hardware installed for that matter?
Any way to use other cellular or WiFi services out of the car?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #81
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
For those who have the nav,

Nav module (HMI) and onstar module are different?
Or are we talking about the same module?

Does the car has 2 GPS?
One for onstar and one for nav?
I understand if we pull the fuse, we loose the mic and the GPS...
Just to confirm for those who have nav and PDR,
That means we don’t have gps and mic amymore (for PDR)?

Don’t care about Bluetooth
But want to keep mic and gps for PDR and Nav.

For the remark in Europe (no more onstar after 2020):
Does that mean there is no signal (out/in from the car, but we keep gps and mic without removing everything....(fuse or card)

A little bit confused about the gps...
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #82
mbnwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
For those who have the nav,

Nav module (HMI) and onstar module are different?
Or are we talking about the same module?

Does the car has 2 GPS?
One for onstar and one for nav?
I understand if we pull the fuse, we loose the mic and the GPS...
Just to confirm for those who have nav and PDR,
That means we don’t have gps and mic amymore (for PDR)?

Don’t care about Bluetooth
But want to keep mic and gps for PDR and Nav.

For the remark in Europe (no more onstar after 2020):
Does that mean there is no signal (out/in from the car, but we keep gps and mic without removing everything....(fuse or card)

A little bit confused about the gps...
Yes the HMI and OnStar modules are two different modules, the Onstar / WiFi module is next to the HMI.

The car does have two GPS if you also have the PDR, the PDR has a dedicated GPS under the dash cover, the HMI and OnStar shares the GPS antenna that the HMI uses for Navi. If you disable the OnStar module by unplugging the antenna you will lose GPS on the Navi.

I have not tied just removing the fuse to see what happens, however removing the cellular modem from the module retains the mic but you lose Navi GPS, I have been testing some band pass filters that plug inline to block cellular but allow GPS to pass, just trying to find the right combination. in that case you would not need to do anything except plug the band pass filters inline.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #83
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Thank you
The only gps antenna is on the onstar board?
No way we can keep Nav without onstar?
Except with your filters you are working on...

For those who had their HMI reprogrammed by Gen5 for the front camera set up
It will do the same I assume,
If you remove the onstar board and antenna, you will have the icônes (camera, nav, PDR,...) but no GPS and no nav

Other question:
There is only 1 mic in the car?
If disable with the fuse we loose it for the PDR?
(Or does the PDR has its own mic like it’s own gps?)
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #84
mbnwa

Disabling Onstar Network connection

Everything on the HMI will still be the same (icons, etc) you will still be able to enter the Nav screen input addresses etc the car will just not see a GPS signal.

From what I can tell the OnStar board converts the GPS signal and passes it on the CanBus (assuming here as I have not validated)

As far as the PDR mic from what I can tell it’s built into the camera for the PDR, I grafted the PDR into my Vert and did not have to install a second mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro