Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
nooblyfe

Drives: camaro 2ss 6th gen
Exclamation 2017 Camaro 2SS a8 Transmission Problems!

Hello all. This is my first post on here. This is the first time im owning a real American v8. I come from a european car background with bmw's and supercharged audi's. I love my 2017 camaro 2ss. Bought it used about 2 weeks ago from 2 hours away from a Ford dealership with 17,000 miles. Ive had a few issues with the car that I want to address. I have searched the forums and saw nothing similar.

I'm almost always in triptronic/manual mode.

My first issue is with the transmission shifting. Whether I am going fast or slow, when i let my foot off the gas, and down shift to 6th, its smooth. Even to 5th, its smooth. 4th is smooth as well. But when i shift down to third, its VERY rough. The whole car jolts forward for a split second. Downshifting to 2nd is okay as well. Ive tried shifting down from 4th to 3rd from multiple RPM's. whether im going fast or slow, it jolts alot. Is this common?

My second issue is with the RPMs themselves. When im in first, I let go of the gas and shift to second (at 3k rpm), it goes into 2nd gear but the rpms just drop as if it was in idle until i push the gas pedal again. When i push on the gas, it snaps into the correct gear (2nd) and jolts a bit and then drives normal, and the rpm goes back up where it is suppose to be at around 2k rather than ide at 1k. This mostly happens from 1st->2nd->3rd. Common?

My third issue is coorelated with the second issue. It is the throttle response. It just seems like even when im in DRIVE mode, and im cruising at about 35mph, and let off the gas, and then push on it again, the car jolts forward a little bit as if it just caught the gear it is suppose to be in. Its an odd feeling that isnt smooth.

For all 3 scenarios, I have tried all 4 modes and its no different in any of the modes. The issues remain consistent.

My 4th issue is just a nuisance. It is a clicking/ticking noise from the passenger rear side of the car when i am cruising at 70mph+ on the freeway. Its just really annoying. I turn my music up so i dont hear it. It sounds like long piece of rubber trim is hanging off and just knocking against the car consistently. Normal?

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by nooblyfe; 10-09-2018 at 11:55 PM.
nooblyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
urirx98

Drives: 2016 Bumble Bee Yellow 2SS
Dealing with that SHUDDERING, SHAKING Feeling also when im driving at 40-60mph in Touring mode in my Auto. I have tried it in Sport mode and its there aswell, but not as often. Theres a post about it today that i posted in and Im getting my car checked out next week ( needed something else fixed so its a 2for) It says it could be the Torque convertor or the tires. Ill keep you posted after my checkup next tuesday
Old 10-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
nooblyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by urirx98 View Post
Dealing with that SHUDDERING, SHAKING Feeling also when im driving at 40-60mph in Touring mode in my Auto. I have tried it in Sport mode and its there aswell, but not as often. Theres a post about it today that i posted in and Im getting my car checked out next week ( needed something else fixed so its a 2for) It says it could be the Torque convertor or the tires. Ill keep you posted after my checkup next tuesday
That sounds horrible. Mine isnt shaking, but its definitely a clicking noise from the rear. mine drives fairly smooth. taken it on 300+ mile trips with no shaking problems while cruising
Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
I know what you're talking about when you say letting off the gas, getting back on it and the transmission deciding "oh, this is the gear you should be in" and you feel a jolt.

I'd also like to hear from others and see if this is a real issue or normal.
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblyfe View Post
My 4th issue is just a nuisance. It is a clicking/ticking noise from the passenger rear side of the car when i am cruising at 70mph+ on the freeway. Its just really annoying. I turn my music up so i dont hear it. It sounds like long piece of rubber trim is hanging off and just knocking against the car consistently. Normal?
If you find out what this is please let me know. I have the exact same thing, and its effing annoying.

I thought it was the trunk lid, or something in the passenger wheel well. My car has been in the shop overnight for a couple other things (your tranny shudder issue was one of them), and they let me have camaro loaner cars and the 2 2018s I drove both had it. Mine is a convertible, but the loaners were hardtops.

still looking for the fix.

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC

Last edited by speedup; 10-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:35 AM   #6
nooblyfe

No more input? Another unfinished thread.. sad..
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
I have a 2018 2ss, automatic, k&N cold air intake and now flowmaster american thunder axleback that replaced my dual npp exhaust. I have the same hesitation transmission problem. When I am cruising around at any speed, and then hit the accelerator, there is a brief pause, I hear a click, and then it goes. However, if I hit the accelerator nice and easy, no hesitation. I read on here it is the electronic throttle and it is normal. I don't have a ticking noise in the rear going over 70. Let me know what you find out.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
as for the rough shifting,

yes third gear seems to do that in four of the 6th gen SS that I have driven, the zl1 not as much but it wasn't broken in yet.

when it shifts down from 3-1 its like it lunges, very stupid.

the gear shiftings around gear three are mostly rough up or down but as your car gets broken in that becomes less pronounced.

I just hit 25k miles and mine does not have rough shifts when I first start the vehicle (like the 1st gear clunk)

just a part of the A8 being track ready, I think that is why they went to the 10 speed auto for the refresh.

also for the clicking, just take it to a GM dealer and have them locate it.
mine was in the rear passenger but I noticed it a lot more in parking garages. it ended up being "build up" or surface corrosion on the hub if I remember correctly which was causing rubbing.

hope you get yours fixed, a lot of my issues were laughed at by GM
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
NoctisLucisCaelum

Drives: 2019 SSG Camaro 2SS
There is a service bulletin for the shuddering in the A8. Bulletin 16-NA-175. First attempt is a flush and then it has to be driven for some amount of miles. If it still shudders the torque converter will have to be replaced. All under warranty for the 6th gen.
NoctisLucisCaelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoctisLucisCaelum View Post
There is a service bulletin for the shuddering in the A8. Bulletin 16-NA-175. First attempt is a flush and then it has to be driven for some amount of miles. If it still shudders the torque converter will have to be replaced. All under warranty for the 6th gen.
This is a big deal and all over the forums for the Camaro, Corvette, Colorado and Silverado. Some transmissions seem to have no issue and others, the shuddering is very bad. The issue is so big there was a waiting queue when I had mine serviced for the TC replacement. Read up on it in the transmission section.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
This is a big deal and all over the forums for the Camaro, Corvette, Colorado and Silverado. Some transmissions seem to have no issue and others, the shuddering is very bad. The issue is so big there was a waiting queue when I had mine serviced for the TC replacement. Read up on it in the transmission section.
There's a bulletin for the shudder TSB. GM is saying not to replace any TC until the 1st quarter of 2019 when they have their "fix"
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblyfe View Post
No more input? Another unfinished thread.. sad..
Maybe because there are 20,000 transmission threads?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #13
nooblyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Maybe because there are 20,000 transmission threads?
downshifting to 3rd specifically? 0 threads.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
nooblyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoctisLucisCaelum View Post
Nice! thank you sir