Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
jpdaugherty

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Power Steering Failure

Had my power steering go in and out at random at my first track even with the car. It was terrifying. Would reset back to touring. At first didn't through any codes. Later did and put the car in limp mode. Glad this didn't happen on the street and really thankful I didn't go into the wall...

It's currently at the dealership. Will update once I hear something

Last edited by jpdaugherty; 07-31-2018 at 09:43 PM.
jpdaugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Hey man! I was there with you in the other Hyper Blue 1LE. I’m glad you handled it safely on the track and kept it and yourself in one piece. Great driving on your part! To hear you talk about it in the garage is one thing but to see it on video is more telling. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to what the cause may have been.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
..I was there as well..in the Red ZL1 1LE. I really hope the dealer finds the issue, and it is traced to a previously known TSB. Like Hyper1LE said seeing it is frightening! Glad you kept your head and hands!

..also nice wheeling in the Stu's Miata :P I didn't bring my SD card to SF with me, but I'll grab that vid as soon as I get back.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
jpdaugherty

Hey guys! Great meeting you both - hope to see you all at more events. I will definitely be at AMP with Jzilla in the fall instructing.

Thanks Fred!! Had blast poking around in that car! And great job out there on track!
Old 08-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Glad nothing serious happened.
I remember something about a harness on the front of the engine that gets rubbed through by the belt or tensioner on some '17 Camaros. Wonder if that's what happened.

Good luck with the dealer.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
jpdaugherty

Thanks! Me too! I'll keep you guys posted. One of my Corvette friends thought that might be the issue. Someone mentioned main power connector at the rack or steering torque sensor.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
It's a wiring harness issue. Happened to a friend of mine with his 50th 2SS.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Some earlier cars had a wiring harness rub from an ac belt that would cause a whole lotta weird stuff going on as a result. Check your to ensure it is clear of thr belts.
Attached Images

TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
jpdaugherty

That's gotta be it! Car acted really funky after the steering would cut out. Haven't heard anything from the dealer yet.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdaugherty View Post
That's gotta be it! Car acted really funky after the steering would cut out. Haven't heard anything from the dealer yet.
If i were you id call them asap and tell them where to look. Could save them a ton of time...
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
HYPER1LE

Quote:
Hey guys! Great meeting you both - hope to see you all at more events. I will definitely be at AMP with Jzilla in the fall instructing.

Thanks Fred!! Had blast poking around in that car! And great job out there on track!
Cool JP! Jzilla is on my to do list in the following upcoming events I’ve picked:

8/25, AMP, Just Track It (just signed up)
9/23, AMP, Just Track It
9/28, Road Atlanta, Jzilla
10/21, AMP, Jzilla
11/30, Road Atlanta, Just Track It

You and I both were running stock everything if I recall correctly. Since you were in the fast group and me intermediate, going through my PDR videos thus far I found a best time of 1:38 though 1:40 was usual average. How does this benchmark to your average lap time there. I have realized I could have carried more speed through the high banking. I was between 105-110 but I’ve seen others reaching 122’ish. I’m still in the learning limits stage for both me and the car. Sorry I’ve gone off topic but curious if you don’t mind sharing. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
jpdaugherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPER1LE View Post
You and I both were running stock everything if I recall correctly. Since you were in the fast group and me intermediate, going through my PDR videos thus far I found a best time of 1:38 though 1:40 was usual average. How does this benchmark to your average lap time there. I have realized I could have carried more speed through the high banking. I was between 105-110 but I’ve seen others reaching 122’ish. I’m still in the learning limits stage for both me and the car. Sorry I’ve gone off topic but curious if you don’t mind sharing. Thanks!
Yep! My car is bone stock, down to the brakes. Going to buy some track pads for the next event. Thinking about a set of 19x11s wheels with 305 RS4s for longevity.

I didn't get to explore the true limits of the car unfortunately. But my first session I got 3 laps in and was warming up to the car ran a 1:35. In the banking was hitting 130 by the exit and 140 by the bus stop, and was parking it through there - still was getting use to the car. Think I could've gotten into the low 1:30s. At AMP figure it's capable of a 1:27-28. Best in my S2000 there is 1:32 on street tires.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
HYPER1LE

Quote:
Yep! My car is bone stock, down to the brakes. Going to buy some track pads for the next event. Thinking about a set of 19x11s wheels with 305 RS4s for longevity.

I didn't get to explore the true limits of the car unfortunately. But my first session I got 3 laps in and was warming up to the car ran a 1:35. In the banking was hitting 130 by the exit and 140 by the bus stop, and was parking it through there - still was getting use to the car. Think I could've gotten into the low 1:30s. At AMP figure it's capable of a 1:27-28. Best in my S2000 there is 1:32 on street tires.
Thanks for sharing that! Yep, so it’s my limits and not the car; I need more work and experience for further improvement then. I know this. In my thread “Finding it’s limits...or mine” (emphasis in said thread on mine), it is suggested I have an instructor ride along. I’m not opposed to this as I’m always open to learn for gains and improvement. I’m more used to being the pursuer rather than a pursuer. So, looking forward to seeing you again at a future event.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
jpdaugherty

That's a great approach! I instruct for Jzilla and various other groups. Would be happy to ride along. Hope to see you at one of the AMP events!