Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Well peeked at the tires last night seems I just started cording the inside of one of my fronts. The outside shoulders were probably getting there too. I drove 8k miles before the track alignment I'm pretty happy with the wear. Looks even but I will be getting a new set of the GY Supercar 3's in the next few days. It'll be nice to not be worried about tires when I'm on the high banks and 10/10ths.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Well peeked at the tires last night seems I just started cording the inside of one of my fronts. The outside shoulders were probably getting there too. I drove 8k miles before the track alignment I'm pretty happy with the wear. Looks even but I will be getting a new set of the GY Supercar 3's in the next few days. It'll be nice to not be worried about tires when I'm on the high banks and 10/10ths.
How's your rear tires doing?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
How's your rear tires doing?
Much more wear towards the outer 2/3rds almost completely worn flat near the outer most center grove. Pics below are of my left sides Front and Rear. All in all not too bad considering most people seemed to get less than 10k out of theirs. I got 11.5k out of these.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
^ you can still get couple sessions out of those. I'm judging by the wear only. Depends on the heat cycles too. Last time you were on them did they still feel OK? Of course you won't be setting in lap records but if you're wanting to maximize the $$$ then I'd give it a couple more sessions.

I basically run my tires until I start to cord them. Two weekends ago when I was at Texas World Speedway I was on worn slicks and finally corded my rear driver. I was several seconds off pace but I just wanted to finish of the slicks before I moved to another set. On DOT tires you will likely cord them before you heat cycle them out. on R comps or more specifically slicks, you'll likely heat cycle them out before you cord them (assuming your alignment is set up for the tire).

However if you have to drive back on the same tire that you're tracking on then you need to take that into consideration.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
^ you can still get couple sessions out of those. I'm judging by the wear only. Depends on the heat cycles too. Last time you were on them did they still feel OK? Of course you won't be setting in lap records but if you're wanting to maximize the $$$ then I'd give it a couple more sessions.

I basically run my tires until I start to cord them. Two weekends ago when I was at Texas World Speedway I was on worn slicks and finally corded my rear driver. I was several seconds off pace but I just wanted to finish of the slicks before I moved to another set. On DOT tires you will likely cord them before you heat cycle them out. on R comps or more specifically slicks, you'll likely heat cycle them out before you cord them (assuming your alignment is set up for the tire).

However if you have to drive back on the same tire that you're tracking on then you need to take that into consideration.
The white chalky dirt is kind of deceiving. If you look at the top picture the inside shoulder of my left front is already cording. I do daily drive on these tires and I will be driving 200 miles round trip and going 120+mph @ 1g on the high banks. I don't want to tempt fate doing that on corded tires.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
The white chalky dirt is kind of deceiving. If you look at the top picture the inside shoulder of my left front is already cording. I do daily drive on these tires and I will be driving 200 miles round trip and going 120+mph @ 1g on the high banks. I don't want to tempt fate doing that on corded tires.
Yep....I do see cords. They are toasted.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:
LOL! That's how I feel about AutoX events. Run them till the cords show, but I'm a bit more hesitant to wait for that to happen when I'll be running 145mph on the high banks of Charlotte's Roval course. I still have groves on the treads so I suppose I shouldn't sweat it too much. LOL!
That was the only thing that made me worry for a second at Charlotte. I had over half life on my G-3's at the time and they felt great but doing 149, yes I got her to 149, on that oval makes one stop and think what would happen if. But hey that's racing right. Lol
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
SaphfireSS

Run them til there is no tread left. Lol
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #23
SaphfireSS

Second set of G-3's didn't last as long. One Track Night in America at Nola, USCA weekend event at Nola, Track Night in America at Charlotte and 6000 miles. Think I'm going to try Provistee setup with RE71R 295/30/20 square setup on stock rims next.