Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
One more event? Tread???

For those who have more experience, believe these have one more event before replacement... Car has track alignment. Note, front only shown, back in better condition.

Thoughts?

Thx Tim
Attached Images

Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Yes definitely one more, if not even another before cording IMO. Clearly needs keeping a close eye after each individual session though.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
I agree. When mine looked like that, I just wrapped up 2 more track days out of them. Now, they’re done.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
IMO if you are not sure, just take 2 new front tires with you (if there is tire shop on track or nearby). Once I was in the same situation and the tires were cording after only one session. Basically wasted a day's time and money
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Outside edge has at least 3 days left, can't really tell how bad the inside edge is from the pic, but I'd be more worried about the inside edge if you have the track alignment.
Attached Images

TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Outside edge has at least 3 days left, can't really tell how bad the inside edge is from the pic, but I'd be more worried about the inside edge if you have the track alignment.
Now these are well used tires: congrats lol!

OP: your tires have tons of life left. But as suggested check the inside edge as well. Edit: the above is a good pic of corded rubber if you've never see one before. Obviously it is not recommended to drive on corded tires, but some have All it means is the rubber is gone. Of course things can start tearing and separating as well at that stage depending on circumstances.

Last edited by TrackClub; 10-02-2018 at 01:58 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Now these are well used tires: congrats lol!

OP: your tires have tons of life left. But as suggested check the inside edge as well. Edit: the above is a good pic of corded rubber if you've never see one before. Obviously it is not recommended to drive on corded tires, but some have All it means is the rubber is gone. Of course things can start tearing and separating as well at that stage depending on circumstances.
Thanks! I'm proud to wear out the fronts before the rears on a high horsepower RWD car. I don't think the tire people could wrap their heads around that haha. I kept only looking at the outside edge and it was a good thing i checked the inside edge before the last session that day. I tried to get my toe zeroed out as much as the alignment tech was willing to play around with it for my new set. We will see if that helps on the inside wear which i assume was coming more from street miles. I'm also going to start running higher pressures on the street instead of only around 30 cold.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Thanks! I'm proud to wear out the fronts before the rears on a high horsepower RWD car. I don't think the tire people could wrap their heads around that haha. I kept only looking at the outside edge and it was a good thing i checked the inside edge before the last session that day. I tried to get my toe zeroed out as much as the alignment tech was willing to play around with it for my new set. We will see if that helps on the inside wear which i assume was coming more from street miles. I'm also going to start running higher pressures on the street instead of only around 30 cold.
Ive noticed good deal of wear on the inside shoulder from track use on inside front tire (RF on CW tracks for example). I havent noticed any excessive wear from street driving albeit i dont use my car as a daily much. But some of my track trips are pretty long distances. Thats with 2.6 camber and a very slight toe out.
I use 32 psi for street (as recommended by GM).
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Yeah good idea, I've been running 34 cold for the "little" street miles it gets, mostly to and from "local" tracks (60-110 miles each way). And, they are wearing quite even. Although I just went to 35 to save the very last bit on this set. lol Either way the street pressures will be even less of an issue in my case, the trailer is due in tomorrow! I mean it's only been two years in the making
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #10
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Drivers side

Here is the drivers side, inside at bottom of pic, which has the most wear. Based on above, sounds like I'm good for one more event. It is Daytona, so as your aware some parts of the track are not friendly if you have an issue....
Attached Images

Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I run my tires until they look like this normally, I pulled these off after last sunday's event in fear they were going to let me down in a bad way.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
TheRealJA105

Damn, i wish i could get my tires to wear that evenly.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Damn, i wish i could get my tires to wear that evenly.
Its all about camber and flip mounting the tires before you cord the shoulder.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
TheRealJA105

I think the ZL1 1LE suspension eliminating the dynamic camber change is the key to your wear vs mine.