Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #71
kdepew

Drives: 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT
People have given you options to be courteous (starting in Stealth Mode and starting with the garage door closed).

If you are leaving at 6:30 am in the morning and it is waking people up, it is understandable why someone would ask you to take steps to quiet down your car.

I'm sure you weren't trying to wake people up. Until you knew it was causing others a problem, you weren't doing anything wrong. Now that you know, you should do whatever is reasonable.

Those who are saying they would just make their car louder or that people should be awake by 6:30 am are just plain assholes. Hopefully they are just being "internet tough guys" and aren't assholes in real life.
kdepew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 AM   #72
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdepew View Post
People have given you options to be courteous (starting in Stealth Mode and starting with the garage door closed).

If you are leaving at 6:30 am in the morning and it is waking people up, it is understandable why someone would ask you to take steps to quiet down your car.

I'm sure you weren't trying to wake people up. Until you knew it was causing others a problem, you weren't doing anything wrong. Now that you know, you should do whatever is reasonable.

Those who are saying they would just make their car louder or that people should be awake by 6:30 am are just plain assholes. Hopefully they are just being "internet tough guys" and aren't assholes in real life.
The only way to quiet the stock exhaust is to use stealth mode. But that’s not even the default factory setting on a car that’s completely 100% stock. Which is why he doesn’t have to nor should he do anything.

Again, being a stock, factory car the exhaust sound is within all federal, state, and local noise ordinances. The person who wrote the letter is the asshole, and it sounds like you might be to. A letter like that would make me blip the throttle a few times every morning. Again, what are the police gonna do?

Not being an internet tough guy, just stating facts. Call the police. They will do nothing but roll their eyes.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #73
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The only way to quiet the stock exhaust is to use stealth mode. But that’s not even the default factory setting on a car that’s completely 100% stock. Which is why he doesn’t have to nor should he do anything.

Again, being a stock, factory car the exhaust sound is within all federal, state, and local noise ordinances. The person who wrote the letter is the asshole, and it sounds like you might be to. A letter like that would make me blip the throttle a few times every morning. Again, what are the police gonna do?

Not being an internet tough guy, just stating facts. Call the police. They will do nothing but roll their eyes.
There is what is legal, and there is what is courteous. They are two different things.

I was raised to be courteous to others. If I found out that I was awakening the neighbors through my actions, I would try to make it so that I wasn't waking them up anymore. Being kind to others costs nothing and generates good will.

Yes, they (whether 1 or 10) were too afraid to approach directly, so they sent the letter. I would work to solve the problem, not be the problem. YMMV.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #74
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
There is what is legal, and there is what is courteous. They are two different things.

I was raised to be courteous to others. If I found out that I was awakening the neighbors through my actions, I would try to make it so that I wasn't waking them up anymore. Being kind to others costs nothing and generates good will.

Yes, they (whether 1 or 10) were too afraid to approach directly, so they sent the letter. I would work to solve the problem, not be the problem. YMMV.
Being courteous is staying out of people’s business and not leaving anonymous, passive-agressive letters about non-issues in people’s mailboxes.

He’s not the problem.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #75
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
well said

Quote:
Being courteous is staying out of people’s business and not leaving anonymous, passive-agressive letters about non-issues in people’s mailboxes.

He’s not the problem.
Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #76
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:

He’s not the problem.
This is not binary where it is only one or the other. The OP's legal actions bother one or more neighbors.

It was anonymous, not passive-aggressive. If you're being awakened by the actions of your neighbor every morning, even if those actions are legal, it is an issue for you. this happened to me years ago, when I lived next to people with horses. My work was later in the day, so I didn't get up early. Their idiot dog would start barking like a lunatic every morning when they fed the horses, and wake me up every morning like 2 hours before I had to get up. It was because the dog knew he would be fed after they finished feeding the horses. Eventually, I figured this out and went over there one morning and explained what was happening and asked if they could feed the dog before they fed the horses. They agreed, and that solved the problem. Better than a note, because the tone of a note can be misinterpreted. But then, lots of people are afraid to be so direct. I am not.

There are legal limits to noise, both in terms of db and time of day. The OP is not violating any legal limit, due to his exhaust being stock. We are not dealing with a legal issue here. We are dealing with a human issue. Imagine that the neighbors are your friends. Do you want to wake up your friends early? Probably not, if by making a small adjustment, you can avoid doing so.

Neighbors can come in handy sometimes, whether it is letting you know they saw someone walking around your house during the day, or grabbing a package off your porch that shows up when you're on vacation and holding it until you get back, or loaning a ladder, etc. For these reasons and more, it is a good idea to maintain good relations. So, making a small adjustment like starting in stealth mode is a small price to pay for good relations.

This reminds me of the old saying "you don't sh*t where you eat".
Old 08-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #77

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So his neighbors are more concerned with their retirement sleeping hours, and not concerned that the OP is still working a regular job to earn a living and simply driving his personal car to get to his job. The OP should write them a letter about his concern for their sedentary and selfish lifestyle....After all, what else are good neighbors for?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #78
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
This is not binary where it is only one or the other. The OP's legal actions bother one or more neighbors.

It was anonymous, not passive-aggressive. If you're being awakened by the actions of your neighbor every morning, even if those actions are legal, it is an issue for you. this happened to me years ago, when I lived next to people with horses. My work was later in the day, so I didn't get up early. Their idiot dog would start barking like a lunatic every morning when they fed the horses, and wake me up every morning like 2 hours before I had to get up. It was because the dog knew he would be fed after they finished feeding the horses. Eventually, I figured this out and went over there one morning and explained what was happening and asked if they could feed the dog before they fed the horses. They agreed, and that solved the problem. Better than a note, because the tone of a note can be misinterpreted. But then, lots of people are afraid to be so direct. I am not.

There are legal limits to noise, both in terms of db and time of day. The OP is not violating any legal limit, due to his exhaust being stock. We are not dealing with a legal issue here. We are dealing with a human issue. Imagine that the neighbors are your friends. Do you want to wake up your friends early? Probably not, if by making a small adjustment, you can avoid doing so.

Neighbors can come in handy sometimes, whether it is letting you know they saw someone walking around your house during the day, or grabbing a package off your porch that shows up when you're on vacation and holding it until you get back, or loaning a ladder, etc. For these reasons and more, it is a good idea to maintain good relations. So, making a small adjustment like starting in stealth mode is a small price to pay for good relations.

This reminds me of the old saying "you don't sh*t where you eat".
If there's ever been an eloquent way to explain what courteous means in real terms, this is it. Very well said

(Btw one neighbor here has a cammed, supercharged, straight piped 5th gen, another one next door to him runs a 392 Charger with some aftermarket exhaust, so morning startups 'round here are, hm, colorful My 2SS is the quietest even in sport or track mode. I for one love the "symphony", but can totally relate to how a 70-75+ senior with not much love for cars would feel.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #79
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I had this once with my Mustang that I had an MBRP street system on it...it was loud esp at startup. That's how it is. But I got that comment in a joking manner and I took it well and the person took well when I replied that him on his riding mower and weed whackering at 9pm wasn't the best thing for noise levels in the hood.

Ive def started up with the door down and give it a minute but "stealth" is very poorly named but it's anything but stealthy. And all modes are loud in the first few seconds at startup.

If there's no HOA the neighbor can bring in to the mix, ignore it. I'd rev it up in track mode but I do things like that. HOA can ruin your whole livelihood when they want to get stupid about silly things.
I was wondering as I read through this thread when an HOA would be brought up. Clearly, this did not come officially from an HOA. But, I want to share that recently my HOA management company sent out emails to all homeowners on behalf of our HOA board thatbthey had adopted a “policy” to require all residents of the neighborhood to provide vehicle registration information for all vehicles per household AND to update when any changes occur. Supposedly, this was under the guise that 1) doing so could help them assist first responders with vehicle identification in an emergency (fire, natural disaster, etc) and then 2) help them identify violators of by-laws and covenants. Ah, there it is. Prior to this, they tried to do something similar with the pets by requiring owners to submit DNA samples of household pets in their hope to catch pooping offenders. In either case, failure to comply would result in a daily fine until compliance. First, let me say that I follow the rules in the spirit of communal harmony. Well, they couldn’t can’t pull that one on me then and they can’t try to do so now so I wrote back and told them so. The only reason they want to gather vehicle information is to assess fines for violations of by-laws and covenants. I informed them first responders have immediate access to that sort of information through NCIC and did not have to hunt someone down from management or the Board to get that sort of information (for vehicles). Furthermore, I informed them that homeowners are not legally bound by any impositions of their policies present or future. If the requested compliance was already legally bound by contract that bears my signature then produce it to me since I am not familiar. This was about 8 weeks ago. Well, there has been no response to my email and there has been no adverse action. Instead, I was sent a letter inviting me to fill a vacancy on the Board. Hmm? Interesting. No thanks!

As for the OP’s topic, it bothers me that in today’s society it is becoming all too common for people, including neighbors, to hide behind anonymous communications or through 3rd parties (police, etc) to communicate any kind of concern. I get that the OP doesn’t want to offend and how the OP responds with action is up to the OP. I am not the kind of person who does either and I go out of my way not to be the least bit invasive to others at all times. In this instance, for me, I would post the letter back at our mail kiosks and invite the concerned neighbor or neighbors to come speak to me in person; I would explain the exhaust is stock, demonstrate the stealth feature, apologize that I have been any disturbance, and assure the person(s) I will use the feature as often as I can to means within my and the car’s ability. I am a reasonable person and always try to be quite considerate of everyone else. But, if someone doesn’t have the maturity and courage to come speak with me adult-to-adult then this sort of communication is irrelevant to me.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #80
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPER1LE View Post
I was wondering as I read through this thread when an HOA would be brought up. Clearly, this did not come officially from an HOA. But, I want to share that recently my HOA management company sent out emails to all homeowners on behalf of our HOA board thatbthey had adopted a “policy” to require all residents of the neighborhood to provide vehicle registration information for all vehicles per household AND to update when any changes occur. Supposedly, this was under the guise that 1) doing so could help them assist first responders with vehicle identification in an emergency (fire, natural disaster, etc) and then 2) help them identify violators of by-laws and covenants. Ah, there it is. Prior to this, they tried to do something similar with the pets by requiring owners to submit DNA samples of household pets in their hope to catch pooping offenders. In either case, failure to comply would result in a daily fine until compliance. First, let me say that I follow the rules in the spirit of communal harmony. Well, they couldn’t can’t pull that one on me then and they can’t try to do so now so I wrote back and told them so. The only reason they want to gather vehicle information is to assess fines for violations of by-laws and covenants. I informed them first responders have immediate access to that sort of information through NCIC and did not have to hunt someone down from management or the Board to get that sort of information (for vehicles). Furthermore, I informed them that homeowners are not legally bound by any impositions of their policies present or future. If the requested compliance was already legally bound by contract that bears my signature then produce it to me since I am not familiar. This was about 8 weeks ago. Well, there has been no response to my email and there has been no adverse action. Instead, I was sent a letter inviting me to fill a vacancy on the Board. Hmm? Interesting. No thanks!

Dog poop DNA testing!!!!! Oh man, I thought my HOA was bad, but that takes the cake!!!
Old 08-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #81
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

+1
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #82
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
wow...fun thread
Old 08-20-2018, 01:09 AM   #83
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
LET’S GET READY 2 RUMBLE!!!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #84
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
"And all modes are loud in the first few seconds..."

Pulled the fuse on mine. After startup, it takes about 30 seconds to settle down, and after that, it quiets down to maybe what a stock pickup with a 5.3 makes for noise. Then, I just idle out to the street.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote