Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 10-04-2020, 12:03 AM   #29
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Your right! I forgot that the SCCA manuals were 305 CI TPI.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:26 AM   #30
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
I raced SCCA back then and the 1LE had a very narrow ordering window; getting one was very difficult. I never heard of an automatic, but I guess that was possible.
The automatic cars that I mentioned (a 1989 and a 1990) had the 350 engine and they had bought them for SCCA autocross. Agree that they were not very common, as I recall, an article in Road & Track (or Motor Trend) back then about the 1LE said that only 27 of them were made like his in 1990. Think that they meant 27 of the 350/auto and not the total 1LE production. I had a short ride in the 1990, and recall that there was a block-off plate where the radio would normally be.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #31
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
Yes sir. Times change, nothing stays the same. If they didn't offer the SS1LE in the A10 I would have still bought another 2021 in manual anyway. It wouldn't stop me from it. I just prefer the auto now in my late 40's and I loved the 2020 refresh.
Same here. 2020+ 1LE looks really aggressive, I have been waiting to see what comes out and if the C8 ever gets a manual(maybe in Z06 form), but I am all but convinced I will land in a MT 1LE in a year or so. The price and quality MT is hard to pass up, truly an amazing car for the money.

Just taking my time to decide, whatever I buy may be my last V8 and may end up staying with me a very long time.

Congrats on the new 1LE, I am struggling with color myself and Red Hot is Top 3.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #32
1LEThumper

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Same here. 2020+ 1LE looks really aggressive, I have been waiting to see what comes out and if the C8 ever gets a manual(maybe in Z06 form), but I am all but convinced I will land in a MT 1LE in a year or so. The price and quality MT is hard to pass up, truly an amazing car for the money.

Just taking my time to decide, whatever I buy may be my last V8 and may end up staying with me a very long time.

Congrats on the new 1LE, I am struggling with color myself and Red Hot is Top 3.
I am 99.8% positive the C8 will never get a clutch pedal.
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #33
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Why do you guys keep pushing that false narrative? Truth is that the origin of the 1LE package was in the 3rd generation, and the 1LE package could be ordered with either an automatic or manual transmission. I am absolutely certain on this fact, because I knew a couple of guys back then who bought 1LE cars, and they both got the automatic transmission.
I believe that's because on the 3rd gen they didn't have a manual trans that could handle the engine at that time (how sad). I know you could only get a manual on the 305ci, not the 350.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #34
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
I am 99.8% positive the C8 will never get a clutch pedal.
The Z06 is the last hope, IMO.

Seems they are taking it back to its N/A roots, but a possible AWD Grandsport is not exactly 'traditional', so I agree with you.

Sad, I would love a Z06 with that rumored engine but it can have any engine in the word, if it's attached to an auto in any form(DCT included) then i will just get bored with it.

I know I am unique, but any sports car without a clutch pedal just isn't much fun for me. Whatever manual car I buy next will likely be my last sports car. Will get rid of it when I can no longer shift for myself, and that will be it I think.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #35
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
The Z06 is the last hope, IMO.

Seems they are taking it back to its N/A roots, but a possible AWD Grandsport is not exactly 'traditional', so I agree with you.

Sad, I would love a Z06 with that rumored engine but it can have any engine in the word, if it's attached to an auto in any form(DCT included) then i will just get bored with it.

I know I am unique, but any sports car without a clutch pedal just isn't much fun for me. Whatever manual car I buy next will likely be my last sports car. Will get rid of it when I can no longer shift for myself, and that will be it I think.

Not having a manual in this car has been strange. I drove it a little bit this weekend and everytime I get in it, I go to make sure its in neutral and depress the clutch. Old habits die hard I guess.......looking forward to see how this A10 performs after the break in period.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #36
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
The a10 rips. I mean that's a hell of an auto. Congrats on the car she's beautiful just like mine. I'm a die hard purist and love my manual but I'm glad GM put a auto to hopefully sell a bit more and maybe keep the Camaro around longer.
I will be peeping in 1le windows now to see the trans and judge the driver (lmfao I'm jk kinda). There's days I get the cramping leg from driving for hours around canyons and back through down town l.a. but can't say I'd change that. Enjoy the car man she's a beaut.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #37
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Not having a manual in this car has been strange. I drove it a little bit this weekend and everytime I get in it, I go to make sure its in neutral and depress the clutch. Old habits die hard I guess.......looking forward to see how this A10 performs after the break in period.
I remember years ago a friend of mine went from manual to automatic, funniest thing I ever saw, drove away one day and locked up the brakes a short distance after leaving.
He hit the clutch to shift out of habit, but there was only a brake pedal.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #38
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I remember years ago a friend of mine went from manual to automatic, funniest thing I ever saw, drove away one day and locked up the brakes a short distance after leaving.
I can see why he did.....It truly takes getting used to and I never thought it would!
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #39
ST1LE

Quote:
HAHAHA...I didnt think of that, I bet that will take some time to get used to. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts vs the two options once you have had some more seat time. I am sure you're loving it though, while not my cup of tea, I am happy to see the 1LE get an A10. PLENTY of people want that, so it makes sense to offer it, plus it is an amazing transmission that belongs in the 1LE.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #40
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Automatic Gen 3

“Launched in 1989, the 1LE was essentially a hush-hush performance package available only with the 305ci (LB9)/manual or the 350ci L98/automatic combinations in the RS and IROC-Z models. First, placing an order required checking the option box for the performance axle (RPO G92), and it included an engine oil-cooler, 4-wheel disc brakes, dual catalytic converters, and ZR-rated tires for the then large 16-inch wheels.”
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #41
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
That happened to me once driving my wife's car (auto) years ago. I have been driving manuals my entire life and just had a brain fart.

Hasn't happened to me since but yeah...

I am glad Chevy makes the A10 the option, but I am a purist. I cancelled my C8 order and bought an SS1LE/manual because I just know myself and I know I need a manual in my life. Other other two cars are automatic.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #42
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
On my 2020 SS, A10, I discovered manual shifting with the console gear shifter was the quickest. Using the console shifter also simulated a manual by the forward and backward shift points.
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote