Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
newchevyman

Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
2017 ZL1 small build thread

I suppose I should start a build thread for my ZL1. Bought the car from Texas Performance Motorcars (Whitehead Motorsports) in May with 1400 miles. Transaction went very smoothly for a non-local buyer and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Was looking to get a tastefully modified auto ZL1 and paid less for this one than most were paying for stock cars. I haven't done any mods to the car yet just enjoyed it but will be doing some mods here soon. Already put 4k miles on it since purchase.

2017 ZL1 A10

Engine mods
Rotofab CAI
2" Stainless Works headers/ORX/axle back- all ceramic coated
Innovators West 9.1" lower pulley with Gates HD green belt
DSX low side fuel system

Baseline dyno - 534 rwhp
After mods- 608 rwhp on 93

Cosmetic mods
Phastek 1" lowering springs
BMR rear trailing arms
HRE FlowForm FF04 20x10 fronts/20x11 rears
ACS Composite rear spoiler
OEM ZL1 1LE taillights
Xpel clear bra installed at 20 miles
Ceramic window tint

First thing I'll be doing is having DMS tune the car once they get settled in DFW. It currently surges occasionally despite being on stock cam and doesn't run as hard as its 600 rwhp suggests. Also will be adding a flex sensor, catch can, and R888Rs. This is my first auto car in 13 years and zero regrets making the switch, the 10 speed is far and away best trans I've experienced. Goal for the car is to make it faster than my last car was in the half mile while utilizing stock blower. Last car was an NA C6Z that went almost 170 at WannaGoFast in April. Anyway, here's some pics. Will keep thread updated as car comes along.

Appropriate license plate for an auto car!
2007 Z06 H/C/I/E Half Mile - 169 MPH. Sold.

Last edited by newchevyman; 08-08-2018 at 12:54 PM.
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Very clean. I like it a lot. Makes me want to lower mine and get the black badging.
Attached Images

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Very nice!

Any logs or info on how much the pulley changes the boost pressure? You're currently on the stock tune?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
newchevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Very nice!

Any logs or info on how much the pulley changes the boost pressure? You're currently on the stock tune?

I think they said it picks up about 2 psi IIRC. Not on stock tune. Jason Haynes did the final tune on the car. according to seller. I have not had as much of the gear hunt over time which I assume was the reason for the light random revving. Can't remember last time car did it.

Only mods that have been added since OP are:
Weld polished S71 Drag Pack 20x7 & 17x10.5
BMR lockout kit (BK063) - every ZL1 needs this
Soler ported stock TB - no faster at WOT but part throttle feels improved
Sold the HREs and bought Signature SV502s - 19x10.5 & 19x11

It has been to the drag strip both eighth and quarter mile a few times. Best eighth is 6.9@105 and best quarter is 10.7@131.

I tried my hand at a road course HPDE as well. Though I did zero damage to the car it was certainly more challenging than I anticipated. Car took it like a champ. Swapped brake fluid and left everything else alone. No issues to speak of and I was a total rookie. Only made the vanity plate more appropriate.

A year and a half later the car is at 18k miles. No issues to speak of. I'm still as happy with it as the day we got it. I keep saying I'm going to do heads/cam. Have gotten several quotes but haven't pulled the trigger. Since car already has DSX low side could do E85 with a cam on stock blower with no issues. We'll see. Will update thread when any new mods go on.

Last edited by newchevyman; 01-14-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Thank you much, newchevyman. Well done, looks great too!

You are correct, the TB by itself adds lots of power at partial throttle (which you can certainly feel). At WOT it is more of a facilitator to your other Mods, just by making sure it doesn't drop more pressure as you add air. In other words, the more air you add the more significant it becomes at WOT doing a very small part as good "4 inch piece of ducting".
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
newchevyman

Next month car is finally getting some fun mods. Two years of no real mods has been an exercise in self-control. I am taking it to Advanced Modern Performance to have the following mods done.

Heads/Cam
Kong ported blower
Upper pulley
Katech 103 TB
Rotofab Big Gulp
AMP 160 t-stat
Mighty Mouse Wild catch can
OEM oil pump with most recent PN
DSX Flex Fuel sensor

I already have an aux pump so it should be able to run E85. I have no interest in running meth on this car. I don't care about dyno numbers just want the car to run 9s at 140+.

My initial post mentioned I'd be using DMS but that was a couple years ago. They're still well respected and for my goals just chose shop I think will be most appropriate. You'll hear negative things about every shop, it's inevitable, just have to use your best judgement. Will post up once it's all done and let everyone know how it goes. Stay tuned.