Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
RedlineSS18

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
HELP! Dealer screwed up oil change

I took my car in today for its first oil change with less than a 1000 miles. Drove it home about 20 miles and turned it off. Later my wife and I were leaving for dinner and when I started up the camaro it said check oil level. I pulled the dipstick and there is zero oil on it. Called the dealership and they told me to drive it in. I told them that I want it towed in and I want To witness them pull the drain plug and measure the oil removed. Any input on what else I should do would be greatly apprecisted
RedlineSS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Guessing the drain plug or filter is loose for it not to warn you right away, or when you were driving, it probably leaked a lot while sitying.. If it's not reading on the stick DONT drive it until you put oil on.its under warranty, so call roadside assistance for the tow. Tell them that dealer screwed up and now the car can't be driven. Is there oil under the car? If there is a bunch of oil under there, they engine is hopefully okay so long as it wasn't running more than a second or two with low oil(depending on how low it is). If you remote started it and it was running a while....uh oh.

You might even take it to a DIFFERENT dealer right now. The one that screwed up might not be honest or compliant with your request. Another dealer may be happy to do it, just call and ask, they will win over a new customer, and have a story to tell.

Did you smell buring oil when you were driving?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
RedlineSS18

There was no oil under the car. It was driven about 20 miles. I’m thinking they just didn’t put enough in it but not sure
Old 04-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineSS18 View Post
There was no oil under the car. It was driven about 20 miles. I’m thinking they just didn’t put enough in it but not sure
I'm not familiar enough with these cars yet, a dry stick might just mean two quarts low depending on how far into the pan the stick goes. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
They probably put 5 quarts in, because their technician wasn't trained, didn't care and didn't check the level

Find a different dealership.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
They probably only put 6 quarts in instead of 10 . Capacity is in owners manual .what does your invoice say?
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Not being a smart ass. But did you have oil pressure on the drive home? Was the pressure low or normal? Can you check the oil again & double check that the dipstick is in fact dry?
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
RedlineSS18

I did not have the oil pressure gauge on. The dip stick is absolutely dry. Checked 5 times
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
SoSlow

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE, M6, NFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
I'm not familiar enough with these cars yet, a dry stick might just mean two quarts low depending on how far into the pan the stick goes. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I'm no expert but I think they didn't put enough oil back in the car. I think the engine would seize after 20 miles with no oil.
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
RedlineSS18

Invoice just says oil change does not indicate amount of oil added
Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
I did not have the oil pressure gauge on. The dip stick is absolutely dry. Checked 5 times
Biggest problem we run into, the LT1 uses 10qts of oil. The prev LS3 used anywhere from 6-8 depending on model.

Tech prob only put in 6qts, GM has came out and said under normal circumstances 6qts wont hurt anything.

Also the LT1 needs about 30-45 minutes for the oil to drain back in order to take a correct reading off of the dipstick. Some techs make a mistake of checking it too soon or incorrectly.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
I went to get my oil changed at my local shop and told them it needed 10 qts of oil. They were flabberghasted at the thought of it needing 10 qts and said there's no way it needs that much.

They put in 6 qts, run the engine for a minute, checked the oil and said "Holy shit I think you're right..." lmao

Its very rare that a car needs 10 qts of oil so I'm assuming your dealer didn't read the manual and just gave the car the same treatment as the Malibu he worked on before you.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
Thanks, just remember a story from years ago where someone went off on a tech for no oil. It was just that it was virtually clear in a dimly lit garage & the guy swore there was no oil in the motor. Once both he & the car cooled down, he checked it again & it was full. Just trying to save the slim chance that something similar was the case here.

Am with the other posts above. There is probably 6 or maybe 8 quarts in it if the car made it 20 miles home. Good luck with the dealership.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Engine should be alright. I’d be pissed. It sounds like you have a good plan to attack the problem OP, so go with it. Maybe try and pepper in a little incentive lol, if they give you a free trans fluid/diff fluid change from a *qualified* tech (Not the high schooler they have doing the oil changes), then you wont destroy them on the service review to Chevy lol.