Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-24-2019, 03:57 AM   #29
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
From looking at the pics, I think it looks like the damage was done by jacking up the car incorrectly!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:21 AM   #30
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
JROC get yourself some of these...

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #31
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Maybe when you were lowering the rear your car moved far enough ahead on the ramps to get past the center of gravity, making your boards into a sort of teeter totter causing your front wheels to roll down off the front of your ramps. That might be enough to overcome the parking brake?
Did you test your parking brake? Does it hold on hills?
Sorry to hear about the damage. I’ve heard of others fixing similar fender damage from lift mis-use pretty easily, so don’t stress too bad.
Good luck.
I agree with this except I think it likely rolled forward just a little bit as soon as you raised the rear end up and the rear wheels came off the ground. Any chance the ramps actually slid back on the way down and it appeared that the car rolled forward?
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Per the owners manual, you have to try and drive away or hit the button for the EPB to disengage.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #33
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
e-brake releases when the accelerator is pressed outside of park.

If that happened then this is your own fault.
A mechanical e-brake wouldn't have saved you either.

If you fell over the other side of that ghetto ramp then momentum could have pushed you forward, in which case the electronic e-brake was engaged, as would a mechanical one ...and it would have still moved in that situation since the e-brake is intended to keep a stopped car stopped to a certain amount of force, (not a whole lot off level) ...falling over the other side of the ramp would have easily ovepowered an e-brake for certain amount of time.

It seems obvious the e-brake was engaged if it was indeed, still showing as engaged when you checked afterward. So whether it was mechanical or not, the same brake would have been engaged the same amount and it would have had the same stopping force. Mechanical e-brakes allow engaging less force than what the electronic e-brake does if desired, not more. And the auto-disengage would have only occured if you were gassing it and it wouldn't have shown as still engaged afterward. This looks and sounds like 100% user error and a learning experience to get real ramps that have an actual stop plateau
The problem with what you're saying is the roll. The car's rear tires are not going to roll freely with the parking brake on. As you've said an Electric parking brake should be stronger than a mechanical one. Any vehicle I've ever owned with a working mechanical parking brake fully engaged would not have allowed a roll. If the vehicle had to move then it would do so with the rear tires dragging. Unless of course the electric parking brake has the ability to engage without using its full force? But my guess is that the electric parking brake is either not engaged or engages fully.

When the rear of the car was back on the ground it hesitated several seconds before starting its roll. It didn't just drop right off the ramps. This also seems unusual for a vehicle with a functioning parking brake that's engage. The physics required to keep the car from rolling forward off the ramps are met by a roll around jack sitting parallel with the car and lifting of the rear diff but not an electric parking brake?

Sorry but I don't think what you said is correct. Also I don't own an auto, but I'd assume that to disengage the parking brake in a M6 car you car just put it in gear and try driving off like you normally would?

I would say that I definitely hold fault here, but 100% IDK. I'm pretty convinced that had it been my old Fbody, or my L, or any other vehicle (probably around 9 or 10) I've had with a mechanical parking brake that this wouldn't have happened. The car rolled freely like a car in neutral without the parking brake engaged. Then of course when I started the car after it happened the light indicated that the parking brake was engaged and I'm left thinking WTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
From looking at the pics, I think it looks like the damage was done by jacking up the car incorrectly!
Way to troll dildo swaggins, but no, that's not what happened.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
The problem with what you're saying is the roll. The car's rear tires are not going to roll freely with the parking brake on. As you've said an Electric parking brake should be stronger than a mechanical one. Any vehicle I've ever owned with a working mechanical parking brake fully engaged would not have allowed a roll. If the vehicle had to move then it would do so with the rear tires dragging. Unless of course the electric parking brake has the ability to engage without using its full force? But my guess is that the electric parking brake is either not engaged or engages fully.

When the rear of the car was back on the ground it hesitated several seconds before starting its roll. It didn't just drop right off the ramps. This also seems unusual for a vehicle with a functioning parking brake that's engage. The physics required to keep the car from rolling forward off the ramps are met by a roll around jack sitting parallel with the car and lifting of the rear diff but not an electric parking brake?

Sorry but I don't think what you said is correct. Also I don't own an auto, but I'd assume that to disengage the parking brake in a M6 car you car just put it in gear and try driving off like you normally would?

I would say that I definitely hold fault here, but 100% IDK. I'm pretty convinced that had it been my old Fbody, or my L, or any other vehicle (probably around 9 or 10) I've had with a mechanical parking brake that this wouldn't have happened. The car rolled freely like a car in neutral without the parking brake engaged. Then of course when I started the car after it happened the light indicated that the parking brake was engaged and I'm left thinking WTF.

Way to troll dildo swaggins, but no, that's not what happened.
From what you’ve posted the EPB disengaged allowing your car to roll off the front ramps but re engaged when you got back in and checked it. Not saying that isn’t somehow possible but the system doesn’t do thatunder any circumstance it’s designed for. Jacking your car up and you simply have rear wheels locked but in the. So they can’t rotate but they certainly can translate if the free front wheels started to roll. And with no service light on indicating a system failure you have assume it functioned normally. This means the EPB behaved exactly like your old F Body.

If you think it failed and set a code call OnStar and have them run a diagnostic.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #35
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
JROC, invest in some Race Ramps for future oil changes and such. They are expensive but worth the money. I’m going to order some from Summit Racing very soon as my Rhino ramps won’t work with the front splitter on my ZL1!��

This is the way to go if you have the funds

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #36
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I’m not sure what happened either but definitely get some Race Ramps. I saw on YouTube a video of someone that had a SS 1LE that had a set of them using to change the oil in his Camaro. You have the get the ones for lower front ends on cars and I can’t remember what model/part they are but if you order from Summit they have the different ones listed.

Raceramps work with the 1LE front splitter

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #37
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah Ryan, they surely do and I plan to buy some before the end of the year so I can change the oil in my ZL1. XT 2-piece Race Ramps!
Old 11-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #38
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Well that sucks, it could have been worse, it can always be worse... If you put the car in gear the brake will release, otherwise I have nothing. I wasn't a big fan of it when I got the car but have become accustomed, it does comes in handy on hill starts as the hill start is mostly MIA. I also leave it in gear at all times when parked or servicing (M6) as a back-up as I did with conventional e-brakes. On the plus side there are no pivots or cables to corrode and freeze up.

I've never heard of the parking brake releasing because you put it in gear. My understand the brake stays on until you release it. Also my hill start works perfectly. If yours doesn't and your brake is being released when put it in gear suggests to me your car has a problem.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #39
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
I've never heard of the parking brake releasing because you put it in gear. My understand the brake stays on until you release it. Also my hill start works perfectly. If yours doesn't and your brake is being released when put it in gear suggests to me your car has a problem.
idk. my friends m6 ss will release the brake if you put it in gear. my car will not.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #40
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
It will definitely release if you accelerate in gear.

Better to do that than the old behavior of burning out the e brake.

It's easy to hit the button. I'd think something like that happened. More than the idea that it is doing things on its own... Something that would result in lawsuits and recalls.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #41
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Yeah, IDK. I must of done something wrong. (other than the obvious poor ramp setup I was using) I just went and tested it on a hill and they seem to work fine. Even let it start rolling in neutral and with my foot off the clutch and brake, and I pulled up on the parking brake switch and it engaged right away and halted the car very abruptly. Then I turned the car off to see if that would let off the parking brake and it didn't. The only thing I didn't try that I wish I did was turning the car off without the parking brake off and then turning it on to see what lights on the dash would be on.

When I got in the car after it came off the ramps I was convinced that I hadn't engaged or had accidentally disengaged the parking brake, but then when I started the car and the parking brake light was on it left me scratching my head. At this point I'd about need a time machine to figure this out so it's time to move past the why and see about getting the minor damaged fixed. Next time I need to do a better job of working with a safer setup.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #42
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
ID10T

Unnecessary post.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote