Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
BlueShadow
 
Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 70
can i use other cars/engines as reference for what i can do to this one?

Hello!


Just so i have a bigger pool of knowledge to swim through i was thinking about looking at what folks have been doing to their SR20DET's (Nissan Silvias) or 4B11T's (Mitsu EVO). My previous turbo experience was with FD's and aftermarket Hondas. Cant really use Hondas though i think since B, K and H series are factory NA and have really high VE% by design. So putting an aftermarket turbo on a B/K/H series engine might not get me the same results if i put the same turbo on an LTG. So thats why i'm just looking at SR20's and 4B11's.


So...thoughts? i just want to use other cars as a reference or something to compare with. I'm not going to say "ohh hey someone with an SR20 is running a T88 so i'm going to run a T88 too" without checking with you guys first or shops that have worked on LTG's.
__________________
2019 Camaro 2.0T 6spd
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
wookwook
 
wookwook's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NH
Posts: 523
I can recommend zzp, rpm, vermont for followup info. the platform is too new and its generally more of a street performance crowd here, many or most still nursing warranties.

I did get a lot of good background on the evo and wrx sites. THere are good proven turbos out there, but they cost and you wont get around that. get a one-off and you'll be tuning it yourself for months probably. I can vouch for ZZP they prove the products they sell. Other LTG shops probably too.


There one or 2 guys on here, Cooper would have info on custom fits. I'm sure he will chime in at some point.




.
__________________
.
.
.

NFG M6 2T
*Mishimoto IC Pipe Kit | ZZP Catted DP | JacFab BOL | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | *Wookster Tuning+ | XLR Throttle Tuner | *ZZP Big Wheel Turbo | *Snow 2.5 Boost Cooler

Last PB
4.8, 13.6@103
*New since last PB

Last edited by wookwook; 03-24-2020 at 07:40 AM.
wookwook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
DarkFangz1100
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I can recommend zzp, rpm, vermont for followup info. the platform is too new and its generally more of a street performance crowd here, many or most still nursing warranties.

I did get a lot of good background on the evo and wrx sites. THere are good proven turbos out there, but they cost and you wont get around that. get a one-off and you'll be tuning it yourself for months probably. I can vouch for ZZP they prove the products they sell. Other LTG shops probably too.


There one or 2 guys on here, Cooper would have info on custom fits. I'm sure he will chime in at some point.




.
You do realize the platform has been out since 2013?

Also, why would you recommend RPM they're a very shady company who can NOT tune a car properly at all...terrible customer service....etc...I live right down the road from them and they can't even get me my stock tune file.

As far as your comment about "ZZP they prove the products they sell" so they prove they can slice a transmission cooler line? Their Catch Cans went through revision too after being proven to not work properly... Granted not all their components are failures and required the public to tell them they were. Tyler at ZZP is great to discuss things with and I will recommend him 100% even after crappy experiences with everyone else.



Now as far as the original topic....I would not recommend looking at other cars focus on the ECOTEC World as most engine platforms are the same just slight changes and such. Also, like wookwook stated Cooper would be the best to contact for any information. I know him and he's always eager to assist people and up to new challenges in the LTG world.
__________________
DarkFangz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
wookwook
 
wookwook's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NH
Posts: 523
i guess is was confused, i saw the 19 camaro. Yes i agree it is buyer beware. its hard to find good help these days? I do consider my self pretty lucky with my purchases but skill also plays a huge part in this. Part of skill is getting the right people on board with your goals. Limit parts of your exposure to different sources. Accept responsibility for the things you do eff up and usually karma takes over.


.
__________________
.
.
.

NFG M6 2T
*Mishimoto IC Pipe Kit | ZZP Catted DP | JacFab BOL | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | *Wookster Tuning+ | XLR Throttle Tuner | *ZZP Big Wheel Turbo | *Snow 2.5 Boost Cooler

Last PB
4.8, 13.6@103
*New since last PB
wookwook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:00 AM   #5
BlueShadow
 
Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFangz1100 View Post
Now as far as the original topic....I would not recommend looking at other cars focus on the ECOTEC World as most engine platforms are the same just slight changes and such. Also, like wookwook stated Cooper would be the best to contact for any information. I know him and he's always eager to assist people and up to new challenges in the LTG world.

Maybe i'll just get the LTG ZFR turbo from the ZZP site. I keep going back and forth on whether i should find a shop to fab me up a manifold for whatever turbo i want or if i should just get something that bolts up to the stock manifold.
__________________
2019 Camaro 2.0T 6spd
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
ZZP_Tyler
 
ZZP_Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
Maybe i'll just get the LTG ZFR turbo from the ZZP site. I keep going back and forth on whether i should find a shop to fab me up a manifold for whatever turbo i want or if i should just get something that bolts up to the stock manifold.
Not sure what your time frame is on wanting to go to a larger turbo, but we've got a few other turbos coming up in the pipeline here soon (pending all the COVID madness). What are you looking to do with the car? Just have more fun, drag race, road course, etc?

Another bummer about the LTG is that while it's technically in the ECOTEC family, it hasn't really aligned with many things with the previous generations and revisions of ECOTEC. The LSJ could take over 500 in fully stock long block, LNF/LHU would take 400+ all day long easy, and the LTG has become the "made of glass" step sister that had a tendency to blow on the stock tune. The Camaro/later model LTG's have gotten much better with changed trans and engine tuning, but they're still not good for a ton of power stock.

If you've ever got any questions ZZP or Camaro related, feel free to reach out.
__________________
ZZP_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
wookwook
 
wookwook's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NH
Posts: 523
"Just have more fun, drag race, road course, etc"

Enjoy Ride. Don't over do it. It's NOT hard to fit this LTG with mondo power for a few grand. The next big metric will be longevity at xxx power. PPL forget the best of the best Tuners out there define RELIABILITY as the first goal.





.
__________________
.
.
.

NFG M6 2T
*Mishimoto IC Pipe Kit | ZZP Catted DP | JacFab BOL | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | *Wookster Tuning+ | XLR Throttle Tuner | *ZZP Big Wheel Turbo | *Snow 2.5 Boost Cooler

Last PB
4.8, 13.6@103
*New since last PB
wookwook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 AM   #8
BlueShadow
 
Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler View Post
Not sure what your time frame is on wanting to go to a larger turbo, but we've got a few other turbos coming up in the pipeline here soon (pending all the COVID madness). What are you looking to do with the car? Just have more fun, drag race, road course, etc?

Another bummer about the LTG is that while it's technically in the ECOTEC family, it hasn't really aligned with many things with the previous generations and revisions of ECOTEC. The LSJ could take over 500 in fully stock long block, LNF/LHU would take 400+ all day long easy, and the LTG has become the "made of glass" step sister that had a tendency to blow on the stock tune. The Camaro/later model LTG's have gotten much better with changed trans and engine tuning, but they're still not good for a ton of power stock.

If you've ever got any questions ZZP or Camaro related, feel free to reach out.

I came from aftermarket turbo hondas so i'm already anticipating me wanting to build up the internals. As far as my goals? just drag every so often, maybe i'll get into some beginner auto-x too. But mostly i want to do something about the upper rpms feeling like its "running out of steam" and to go along with it i want the car to have a bit more whp like 400-500. But also i want it to spool pretty quickly so maybe a ball bearing turbo is what i need?



It probably wont be for another few years though til i start doing stuff so more stuff might be available by then anyways. But on my turbo honda from a few years back i had a B18C with a Precision SC6152E S-cover and i was thinking about getting i forget what it was either a GT2871R or a GT3076 or something. Never got around to getting a GT turbo so i've always been curious about how they performed on a 4cyl turbo like a honda, sr20 or in this case an LTG.
__________________
2019 Camaro 2.0T 6spd

Last edited by BlueShadow; 03-26-2020 at 03:56 AM.
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
cooper1965
-------:---:-------
 
cooper1965's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: St. Louis/Sullivan/Washington MO
Posts: 883
Well..... This is a tough post to respond too now isn't it? ..... ... . . . ..
__________________
Flex Fuel tuned by me using HPT-:-


---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #10
BlueShadow
 
Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Well..... This is a tough post to respond too now isn't it? ..... ... . . . ..

I just wanted something fast spooling so i was looking at Garrett/GT turbos like the GT2871R or 3076R. Those were the ones i was looking at a long time ago but for a different car/setup. Since i'm guessing nobody is running anything like that on Camaro 2.0's i thought i would look at other 2.0L factory turbo cars that have been around for much longer and see what kind of fast spooling upgraded turbo's they're running.



Then i saw the two ZFR turbos on ZZP's site and started wondering if maybe that setup is for me. I want to use the stock exhaust manifold since nobody is making mass produced tubulars or even cast manifolds for the LTG yet. But i just dont know if the decision to use the stock manifold will end up biting me in the ass later on.
__________________
2019 Camaro 2.0T 6spd
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.