Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
M6 launch tips?

Anyone found the rpm sweet spots, tip, tricks, voodoo for sending this thing out of the hole in the best way possible? Would be interesting to see "guides" for this. I am still breaking in but soon it'll be time.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I have not driven a gen 6 SS, but on the street I would just go for a few light chirps then floor it right after it's done complaining. On a prepped surface, you want the same, but should be able to dump at higher RPM. How much higher depends on the quality of the surface.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #3
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Should have bought an A8? No problems launching. Seriously, it tough to be consistant with the stick . Try the launch control and practice with that.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
MarcPike

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 2SS
I launched at around 2500-3000 and speedshifted...

hard into 2nd to get the 0 to 60 time I posted.
MarcPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
We were all over the place with our fifth gen. I know that if we didn't drop the air pressure in the rears, we would spin easily on the prepped track and then spin on the 2nd and 3rd gear shifts. That was with a stock 1SS. Our 1/4 times varied because of this from 13.2 to 14.4. That was with two different drivers, and shifting very hard and quickly.

As the other post states, it can be tough to be consistent. And when you only get a few runs in on a busy night and then miss shift into third, disappointing. Lol

This new auto is really easy, and one of the main reasons we got it over the M6.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
1800 slip the clutch and feather the throttle, shift at red line. 28 psi rear 1/8 tank of fuel, light driver. a couple hundred practice runs and walla you are golden for the inevitable street fight. The engine has a broad torque curve, it is far better to bog it slightly than to blow the tires away.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Nothing wrong with buying the fastest Camaro with the auto. But for me the M6 is so much more fun driving on the street. You have to work hard in the 1/4 to get a good run with the M6. So when you do it feels like you accomplished something. With the auto the driver feathers the throttle on the launch but after that its all car.

I love close races even more than cutting my best ET. The M6 SS will be a good race for stock tired Dodge 392s and auto 5.0s. Looking forward to the racing this spring.

At an autox or a track day the M6 is the one to have. Still the new A8 sounds like a very good auto. But M6 is the easy choice for me.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra View Post
Anyone found the rpm sweet spots, tip, tricks, voodoo for sending this thing out of the hole in the best way possible? Would be interesting to see "guides" for this. I am still breaking in but soon it'll be time.
OP to at least attempt to help you, you will need alot of "seat time" drag racing your car. IRS cars require a soft touch at the line. If you are new to this when you get to the line don't worry about the car next to you or your reaction time. Just focus on the launch. As you launch rev the engine to say 3K and feather the clutch to start moving then smoothly release the clutch while feeding throttle. It's not as easy as it sounds. The revs and clutch release speed will depend on track prep and if you are on street tires or DRs.

For me when I get a little queasy feeling in my stomache on the launch I do not even have the look at the time slip. It was good. Your results may vary. If you can consistently get under a 2.0 60' with an M6 IRS on stock tires you are doing great.

Just so you know you will be wearing out your clutch faster than normal.

As to a burnout, go around the water if you are on street tires and just spin the tires a bit in first or second to clear off the water. A big burnout on street tires is usually counter-productive. Most street tires tend to get greasy when hot. But reducing the rear tire air pressure to the low 20s can help. Bring a tire guage. Most tracks have an air pump you can use to get your TP back up for the ride home.

After the launch know how and when to shift. As to the how see the link from an expert below. As to the when a shift light will help. Not sure if the new Camaro has a light in the HUD, but the one in my ZL1 HUD was not much help. A little cheap light you can stick to the dash like the MSD works great. Or some people get more creative with mountng the light. Set the light 2-300 rpm under the redline on the tach.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Im..._Shifting.html

Stick with it and get yourself on the fast list. The M6es I think are in a seperate list. I hope to be there soon. Not because I am good but because the list is probably empty.

Last edited by Fraxum; 02-21-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote