#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #155
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
If you have more than a year into college I would just finish.

I am fried and I am only 4weeks in and I can't turn back now. ��
I'm a freshman. 4 weeks too... This is the most boring place ever. Tiny town in the middle of nowhere with about 4000 people.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #156
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Is it the college? Or college isn't your thing? Or the town?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #157
rebelyell22

Quote:
Is it the college? Or college isn't your thing? Or the town?
All of the above? lol I've never really liked school, and I have always been addicted to aviation. Started flying when I was 15 and had a lot of stuff come up, so I didn't acquire the required hours for my private license. I've asked a lot of people if it would be better to stay here or go to a flight school, and have gotten mixed results. I'm at one of those points in life...
Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #158
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Well if you don't like it I would recommend a trade school.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #159
racergirl

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS A6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
All of the above? lol I've never really liked school, and I have always been addicted to aviation. Started flying when I was 15 and had a lot of stuff come up, so I didn't acquire the required hours for my private license. I've asked a lot of people if it would be better to stay here or go to a flight school, and have gotten mixed results. I'm at one of those points in life...
College isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Former Camaro: 2013 2LS
BONE STOCK: 13.953@100.77 With Bolt-Ons: 13.646@101.60
With 75 shot and Bolt-Ons: 12.587@111.25
Performance Mods: CAI Intake, MRT V2, SLP Underdrive Pulley, DRs, Skinnies, Rear seat delete
racergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #160
miller8907

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Well if you don't like it I would recommend a trade school.
Thats what I did. I was never a big fan of school but enjoyed and excelled in shop classes and other hands on subjects so I went to my local Tech school for two years and got a degree in machine tool. I was hired buy a local shop in my second year of school and still work their today programing, setting up, and running 5-axis CNC mills. I would have never made it through a 4 year school.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #161
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8907 View Post
Thats what I did. I was never a big fan of school but enjoyed and excelled in shop classes and other hands on subjects so I went to my local Tech school for two years and got a degree in machine tool. I was hired buy a local shop in my second year of school and still work their today programing, setting up, and running 5-axis CNC mills. I would have never made it through a 4 year school.
That is awesome. Congratulations!!!!!

I don't understand why people find the need to pressure people into going to a 4 year school. I respect someone who decides to take up a trade. Our country is lacking in this area.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #162
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Whole bunch of factors to consider there.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #163
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
In today's world, college is not for everyone. Especially if you have no idea what you want to. If you're out there spending 5, 10, 15+ thousand per semester just messing around getting general ed's done...I hope you don't do it for long. That money adds up fast and (unless you have rich parents who'll pay for you) the interest means you'll be paying it back times 2.

If you have no idea what you want to do, you're better off doing something and making any amount of money, rather than going to college. College can be a double negative: not only are you spending a ton of money, but you also are not making much because you don't have alot of time to work.

Plus, there's so much fluff involved- dorm fees, meal plans, books, etc. Honestly, 90% of it can be learned just as well online. In fact, it is more efficient because you can take things at your own pace- pause lectures, take more thorough notes, etc. I'll say it over and over...college is a business. Plan and simple. Universities make a TON of money. And so do the banks when loans come due.

The economy isn't what it was 15 years ago. Going to college nowadays should not be the "expectation" it once was. It's still for some. It's not for everyone.
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #164
DPerry

Drives: 2010 Black LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberk1012 View Post
In today's world, college is not for everyone. Especially if you have no idea what you want to. If you're out there spending 5, 10, 15+ thousand per semester just messing around getting general ed's done...I hope you don't do it for long. That money adds up fast and (unless you have rich parents who'll pay for you) the interest means you'll be paying it back times 2.

If you have no idea what you want to do, you're better off doing something and making any amount of money, rather than going to college. College can be a double negative: not only are you spending a ton of money, but you also are not making much because you don't have alot of time to work.

Plus, there's so much fluff involved- dorm fees, meal plans, books, etc. Honestly, 90% of it can be learned just as well online. In fact, it is more efficient because you can take things at your own pace- pause lectures, take more thorough notes, etc. I'll say it over and over...college is a business. Plan and simple. Universities make a TON of money. And so do the banks when loans come due.

The economy isn't what it was 15 years ago. Going to college nowadays should not be the "expectation" it once was. It's still for some. It's not for everyone.
so true. don't waste 30 grand and 4+ years of your life. Education is great but college isn't for everyone
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #165
rebelyell22

Quote:

Yea, my parents made me go and I feel like I am wasting time and money. Not a good thing when you consider that an airline transport license is ~$150k at minimum and requires 1500 hours of flight time. I can't get it until I am 21, but if you do the math, I would have to fly the equivalent of 1.8 hours a day until I turn 21 to meet that...
Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #166
smashley_prfd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT, 2004 Cadillac Esca
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl View Post
College isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:

Plus, there's so much fluff involved- dorm fees, meal plans, books, etc. Honestly, 90% of it can be learned just as well online.Plan and simple. Universities make a TON of money. And so do the banks when loans come due.

THIS. College for Americans seems to still be an expectation (Im from Iowa lived there til I was 20) a lot of my friends are finishing college or have finished, only to still be second guessing what they want to do or to try their luck with the career choice and decide they dont like it.

If you're going to go to school make sure you know it wont be a waste. I still have no clue what I really want to do and I'm 24, had I gone to college Id probably be $40-80K in debt for nothing.

I did an 8 week EMR (EMT equivalent for the US) course and I make $350/day plus pocket $50 extra for LOA lol honestly love it minus the short days off (EMTs make $500/day and Paramedics 600-800/day)

So just because you don't go to college doesnt mean you cant find something you enjoy and/or something to pay you a decent wage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smashley_prfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #167
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley_prfd View Post
THIS. College for Americans seems to still be an expectation (Im from Iowa lived there til I was 20) a lot of my friends are finishing college or have finished, only to still be second guessing what they want to do or to try their luck with the career choice and decide they dont like it.

If you're going to go to school make sure you know it wont be a waste. I still have no clue what I really want to do and I'm 24, had I gone to college Id probably be $40-80K in debt for nothing.

I did an 8 week EMR (EMT equivalent for the US) course and I make $350/day plus pocket $50 extra for LOA lol honestly love it minus the short days off (EMTs make $500/day and Paramedics 600-800/day)

So just because you don't go to college doesnt mean you cant find something you enjoy and/or something to pay you a decent wage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gotta agree with this. College for a lot of fields is being cut out and the world is changing rapidly. It's not the same as it was during our folks' days. At 23 I've seen a lot of my peers graduating with a crapton of debt and not too much to speak for from it.

I went to Community College my first two years after high school, was dead honest with my folks and told them I didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't want to rush it. Moved out. Started working and took a year and a half off after my AS for full time work. Got a pretty cush job in the medical field as a developer with a bit of work on their finances and joined the Air National Guard. I'm back in school now but will be finishing my BS and MS with no debt thanks to a military scholarship and I'm able to work remotely, which is amazing.

Computers have always been my passion but with my folks pressuring me to go into Law I needed a breath to figure out what I wanted to do. Life has so many pathways to take to get to the same goal that 9/10 it's worse to just leap into a course of action. Look at what is best for you and start from there. It's easy to plan once you have that base level down. College doesn't have to be 4 years and out either. I'm taking my time with mine. One year left on the BS at this point.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #168
racergirl

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS A6 Camaro
First exam of the semester tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!!

Former Camaro: 2013 2LS
BONE STOCK: 13.953@100.77 With Bolt-Ons: 13.646@101.60
With 75 shot and Bolt-Ons: 12.587@111.25
Performance Mods: CAI Intake, MRT V2, SLP Underdrive Pulley, DRs, Skinnies, Rear seat delete
racergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i can haz a tag?