Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-20-2022, 07:55 AM   #1
CMAR

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
"Reduced performance reduce clutch use"

Good morning all.

Looking for help/advice on a reoccurring warning now MIL illumination after minor modifications.

Vehicle- 2019 camaro LT 2.0t
Transmission- standard 6 speed
Mileage- 49k

Back story- I purchased this this used at the dealership in June with 32k on it. The car handled well and drove fine. All the gears shifted as they should with no slippage.

3 weeks ago I decided to swap out the factory exhaust for the Flowmaster 817751 American Thunder Axle-Back system. The car sounded great for a 4 banger.

Immediately after the install, (second drive cycle), I got the illumination on the dash "reduced performance reduce clutch use". I really didn't think much of it. I figured it's probably because of the differing back pressure of the exhaust. (The torque and hp gains are minimal for the swap). It didn't happen often, only in 5th and 6th gear under WOT.

Last week I installed the Injen CAI and ZZ performance high flow catted downpipe.

Immediately after that I noticed the warning would pop up more. Now in all gears from 2nd onward.

Last night's illumination was followed by "service transmission". I plugged in the Foxwell and got the code (P17A2) after some research. I found a service bulletin on the Camaro/ATS BulletinNo.:20-NA-153 Date:August,2020. It states "Some customers may comment that the MIL is illuminated. Some technicians may find DTC P17A2 (Transmission Clutch Slip Detected) set in the Engine Control Module(ECM). In some instances, the output speed sensor reluctor wheel may be slipping on the shaft due to low output shaft nut torque."

Your thoughts on this issue? Can it be the modifications? Or have you had this happen to you, what was the fix?

Thank you all for reading and responding in advance.

Uploaded the TSB for reference.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10180313-9999.pdf (119.3 KB, 88 views)
CMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAR View Post
Immediately after that I noticed the warning would pop up more. Now in all gears from 2nd onward.
I responded in your other thread.
The fact that it happens with greater frequency fits the idea of something slightly loose that is now getting looser.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Thanks for sharing the code that triggers the clutch slipping and causing reduced engine power (really scary and dangerous when the power just cuts out all of a sudden IMO). I've always wanted to permanently shut that "safety feature" off for good. Thanks car, but I'll figure out on my own when the cutch is going bad the old fashion way.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:05 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Thanks car, but I'll figure out on my own when the clutch is going bad the old fashion way.
Unfortunately this code usually means the reluctor is loose on the output shaft and needs to be retorqued.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.0 ltg, modified, transmission