Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 10-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
pondo

Drives: '23 SS 1LE
Question Favorite Graphene / Ceramic Coating Recommendations

My 2023 SS1LE just arrived and I'm going to do the full coating after PPF is installed. I coated my previous vehicle with CQuartz 2.0 UK two years ago and still holding up well. Looking for other recommendations based on experience. Seeing if there's anything better (graphene?). I'm considering CQuartz 3.0 and Adams graphene ceramic advanced. I used the search function and see a lot of anecdotal recommendations but not many based on actual durability and longevity.

What have you guys used? For me CQuartz was pretty easy to apply and long lasting results with a maintenance ceramic spray following every hand wash (every month or two).

My coating regime:
Wash (foam cannon)
Decon (iron remover) & wax stripping
Wash
Clay Bar (lots of lube)
Wash
1-step polish (car was new, multi-step paint correction not needed)
Wash
IPA wipe
Ceramic Coat
Bourbon time

Cheers!
Attached Images

'23 SS 1LE Rapid Blue
18’ SS 1LE Hyper Blue - sold
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
I did CQuartz 3.0 on my previous 2020 Mazda MX-5, and on the Camaro I decided to try the Adams Graphene Coating Advanced.

Between the two, the CQuartz was a bit easier to apply. The Adams was a little tackier and harder to get off. Also, if you go with the Adams, don't bother getting the UV light if you're only planning on putting it on your Rapid Blue car - while it worked great when I applied it to the Victory Red 2007 Saturn Sky my wife bought earlier this year, it doesn't work on the Rapid Blue Camaro I picked up for myself. The color of the Camaro is the exact same color of the UV light, so it was useless when I tried it.

Other than the application being a little more difficult, I'm really happy with the Adams so far. I use their whole range of graphene products on it to keep it up (graphene shampoo, graphene detail spray, graphene tire dressing, and their graphene boost), and it looks fantastic. It also helps that the Camaro was my third time applying a ceramic/graphene coating, so I was a little more comfortable doing it. I applied it right after I brought her home, and with the proper prep work I'm really happy with the results.

This isn't a daily driver, and I only applied it a couple of months ago, so longevity is still unknown, but considering Adams is advertising 9 years of coating life, I would expect 6-7 years of real world use out of it before having to reapply again.
Attached Images

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I recently got Adams graphene shampoo and detailer spray. Maybe $100 for a gallon of each. It's all you need and no more work than washing your car. The results are pretty awesome, I think it's a bit better than Carpro or TW ceramic sprays and washes.

On new cars I just pay a pro to do the initial clean and polish before PPF.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:48 PM   #4
pondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
I did CQuartz 3.0 on my previous 2020 Mazda MX-5, and on the Camaro I decided to try the Adams Graphene Coating Advanced.

Between the two, the CQuartz was a bit easier to apply. The Adams was a little tackier and harder to get off. Also, if you go with the Adams, don't bother getting the UV light if you're only planning on putting it on your Rapid Blue car - while it worked great when I applied it to the Victory Red 2007 Saturn Sky my wife bought earlier this year, it doesn't work on the Rapid Blue Camaro I picked up for myself. The color of the Camaro is the exact same color of the UV light, so it was useless when I tried it.

Other than the application being a little more difficult, I'm really happy with the Adams so far. I use their whole range of graphene products on it to keep it up (graphene shampoo, graphene detail spray, graphene tire dressing, and their graphene boost), and it looks fantastic. It also helps that the Camaro was my third time applying a ceramic/graphene coating, so I was a little more comfortable doing it. I applied it right after I brought her home, and with the proper prep work I'm really happy with the results.

This isn't a daily driver, and I only applied it a couple of months ago, so longevity is still unknown, but considering Adams is advertising 9 years of coating life, I would expect 6-7 years of real world use out of it before having to reapply again.
Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to receive. Thank you!

I've coated two cars as well...I'm pretty comfortable with the process. After restoring a gel coat on a black mastercraft wakeboarding boat that was literally chalkboard, I feel like I can tackle almost anything. Wet sanding, compound, polish, coating was a brutal process on a 22' boat. LOT of surface area.

If someone is comfortable with a simple one step polish, I don't see any reason on not DIYing it. Lots of great youtube guides out there too. That being said, it's a minimum 4 hour process if not closer to 6 (solo) to do it "right" not including the wheels. I enjoy the satisfaction of looking at the car when complete but can't blame people for saving the time and shoveling out a wad of cash to just have it done.

I'm going to ask the PPF installer what they charge for the coating and type of products they use.

'23 SS 1LE Rapid Blue
Old 10-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
From my experience of what I have used on my cars in the past.
I have used Optimum Gloss-coat, Carpro Cquartz 3.0, Gtechniq CSL, Gtechniq ExoV4, Gyeon Can coat, Gyeon MOHS, and Diamond Protech Body nano coating.

The easiest 100% hands down and not even close is Optimum gloss coat. It has zero VOC so no smells and nothing to give you headaches. It flashes off to almost perfect. You may have a small high spot to level here and there and it takes little to no effort to level. No other coating I have used comes close to this at all. Its almost impossible to mess up using Gloss-coat and only needs about 4hrs before it can get wet

My least favorite was Cquartz. It was a bit tacky putting on and removing.

The most recent one I used was Diamond Protech Body. It was pretty easy to use no real fuss. only needs 1 hour before it can get wet
I will say one thing though. I dont know if its my color or GM paint in general. It has a sticky quality to it. I havnet had this kind of paint since my old 2012 WRX. It makes applying and removing products a bit more grabby and difficult to remove.
Using products I have on other cars and they go on and remove with little to no effort. The Camaro it was a bit more of a difficult removal and was very grabby.

The new Diamond protech uses nano dust diamonds no ceramic. It has a full PH range of chemical resistance from 1-14 you can get it at Therag company.

I will say I have used the Adams advanced graphene once and will never again. Within 30sec it was giving me a headache the smell is SOOO bad and toxic smelling. I had to wear a respirator to use.

If you want the easiest-to-use coating go Optimum Gloss coat.
For a little more durability you can go Diamond Protech and a little goes a LONG way. the 50ml bottle I did my whole car and only used 1/4 of the bottle.

Gtechniq CSL is also very easy to use and goes a very long way as well.

My only one I wouldnt use again would be Cquartz
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
pondo

If I get half the life stated from adams graphene advanced, I’ll wear a respirator. I’m used to wearing them for work anyways ��*♂️. Thank you for the feedback!

'23 SS 1LE Rapid Blue
Old 10-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
If I get half the life stated from adams graphene advanced, I’ll wear a respirator. I’m used to wearing them for work anyways ��*♂️. Thank you for the feedback!
if your car is a garage kept and stored during winters. Even a 1 year coating would last alot longer than that because its not getting subjected to all the elements.
I dont even care about durability because of that and because i cant go even a year without wanting to polish it off and try something else
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:24 PM   #8
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
Just for reference, I applied the Adam's Graphene Coating Advanced to both my wife's Saturn Sky and my Camaro in an enclosed garage and I didn't have any issues with the smell or with breathing. To be honest, I don't remember it having any smell at all.

Might be that some people are just more sensitive to this sort of thing, so your mileage may vary.

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic, coating, graphene