Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #1
Polymongrel

Drives: 22 Chevy Camaro 1lt V6 Man
Question 2022 V6 Manual Noise and downshift

Hi all,
I'm enjoying my new Camaro so far. It's been a little over a month and I've put around 1300 miles on it.
I have driven manuals off and on but it's been a bit since my last one and I'm trying to find out if what I'm experiencing is an issue or is just how this car handles.

These are things that have been happening since day one driving it off the lot.

1st thing I'm noticing is what sounds like a metalic diving board sound/clunking when disengaging the clutch, slowing down in 2nd or 1st gear at low speeds. I can't tell if this is from the transmission or if something is loose and rattling.

2nd is that almost every time I want to downshift, say into 3rd to overtake someone, the shifter will refuse to go into gear. I can double clutch or let the rpm drop and it will finally go in (Note: I do rev match when downshifting). To me this seems like bad synchros but I'm not an expert.

3rd is that it has popped out of 1st on its own with a heafty thud a hand full of times. I know that this is a bad thing.

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated, especially 1 and 2 and if this is normal behavior for these transmissions.

Im planning on taking it in for warranty service soon anyway as there is a spot on the ceiling coming unglued and the driver side speaker grille rattles like crazy.

Thanks,
J
Polymongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #2
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I got mine new , now have 35k miles. Mine has done number 1 since new almost half of the time. I think it's the clutch. Has not got worse. I drive with traction control off, try that. Work with the shifter and clutch, feel what they are doing, don't force the shifter.

Last edited by Gen6cyl; 08-11-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
My M6 in a 2017 2SS does none of these things.

2 & 3 sound like shifter mechanism or linkage problems.

1 could be a lot of things, since you are unloading the drivetrain when you disengage the clutch. Clutch has a record here of being pretty quiet, so maybe driveshaft or differential (which has a reputation for noise).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Unfortunately, that’s a dealer visit. None of the things you describe are normal, in particular the popping out of gear and not going into gear. Good luck.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
Polymongrel

Thank you all for your responses. Ill be setting up an appointment soon to get things looked at.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
Polymongrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
My M6 in a 2017 2SS does none of these things.

2 & 3 sound like shifter mechanism or linkage problems.

1 could be a lot of things, since you are unloading the drivetrain when you disengage the clutch. Clutch has a record here of being pretty quiet, so maybe driveshaft or differential (which has a reputation for noise).
So, I've made an appointment for next week to get things checked out. For #1 I do want to say, since you have an SS your trans is a different model from mine. Maybe that's why you dont have the noise?

To clarify #2; so if you're going 60 down a highway, and want to overtake someone, you can downshift from 6th to 3rd gear with no resistance and just depressing the clutch? No, double clutching? Do you have to rev match before or after you put it into 3rd? Mine won't even go in unless I rev it 1st, then by the time it's in gear the revs have dropped and I have to blip again so I dont strain the drivetrain.

These are things I never had to do on my '94 m5 Camaro so hopefully you understand my confusion on the function of this new car. Just put it in 3rd, rev match and you're off.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymongrel View Post
To clarify #2; so if you're going 60 down a highway, and want to overtake someone, you can downshift from 6th to 3rd gear with no resistance and just depressing the clutch? No, double clutching? Do you have to rev match before or after you put it into 3rd? Mine won't even go in unless I rev it 1st, then by the time it's in gear the revs have dropped and I have to blip again so I don't strain the drivetrain.
I will give this a whirl tonight on the way home.

But if you "have to double clutch" to downshift, then I suspect your synchronizer(s) are not doing their job. That would also explain the noise, and possibly the popping out of gear business.
Like I said, none of this is normal.

UPDATE: So I tried this, and several variations. I have a 6.2 with the M6. On the highway I could easily downshift from 6 to 3 at 70 mph. I did it with the rev match feature on, and with it off. I also tried running through all the forward gears with the clutch depressed. No resistance other than that from shift linkage itself. Nothing fought me or wanted to pop out. This is all at about 70-80 mph on the highway.

Last edited by ctrlz; 08-19-2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #8
Polymongrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I will give this a whirl tonight on the way home.

But if you "have to double clutch" to downshift, then I suspect your synchronizer(s) are not doing their job. That would also explain the noise, and possibly the popping out of gear business.
Like I said, none of this is normal.

UPDATE: So I tried this, and several variations. I have a 6.2 with the M6. On the highway I could easily downshift from 6 to 3 at 70 mph. I did it with the rev match feature on, and with it off. I also tried running through all the forward gears with the clutch depressed. No resistance other than that from shift linkage itself. Nothing fought me or wanted to pop out. This is all at about 70-80 mph on the highway.
Thank you! You are awesome for trying this out and getting back to me. This pretty much confirms my suspicions that something is off (which sucks because it's been this way since day 1 from factory). My appointment is on Tues next week and I'll be sure to mention your experience. Ill come back and update what they say. Hopefully they acknowledge and fix it.

Thanks,
J
Old 08-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymongrel View Post
Hopefully they acknowledge and fix it.
If they give you kickback, see if they have any other manuals on their lot you can take out for a test with the service tech.

Your situation sounds like a no-brainer to me, but I am not in the business of denying service claims.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #10
Polymongrel

Checking in on my progress so far with the dealership service center.

I dropped my car off this past Friday and they are just now looking at it starting late yesterday. They are really backed up like most businesses are nowadays. They also are out of courtesy cars which sucks a bit.

What I know so far. They have acknowledged the loud squeak that I have and the clunk in the transmission with "slightly rough shifts". They said the squeak is coming from the fuel pump and it may need replaced. As for the transmission, they said they may need to take it apart to assess. They also said that I should know more by this Sat.

Thank
J
Old 09-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #11
Gen6cyl

Please let me know about the metallic diving board sound when clutch is disengaged. Mine has been doing this since new in 1st and 2nd gear. I will be watching this thread. Thanks
Old 09-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #12
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Please let me know about the metallic diving board sound when clutch is disengaged.
So, you release the clutch and it continues to make noise? Like the wobble of a diving board?
Not normal in any universe, if I have that right.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:56 PM   #13
Gen6cyl

Mine will make the diving board sound when disengageing the clutch. Often in 1st or reverse. Has done this since new , now 36k miles. Never caused trouble. I'm 60 y.o. and have had 7 manual autos. The only other one that did anything like this was a 1980 el camino v6 3 spd. Please let me know if Chevrolet has any explanation for this. Thanks

Last edited by Gen6cyl; 09-02-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #14
Polymongrel

I have my Camaro back from the dealer now. Im not really happy with my experience. They refused to fix the cloth that is coming off on the ceiling saying that I have to take it back to the dealer that I bought it from (1 hour drive away because they had allocations). Stating that they are most likely responsible for the cloth coming off and are the ones that need to pay for the repair. They didn't fix my speaker rattle because they couldn't replicate it, even though I showed them the issue. The squeak on cold start from the fuel pump (that is very loud) is "within spec" so they won't fix that.

What really makes me angry about all of this is that they told me they "reset" the transmission as a solution for the problems. 1.) A manual trans doesn't have a TCM and doesn't need reset like an automatic 2.)it shifts the same and still makes the sound. The invoice that they gave me listed a GM bulletin "gm 99-04-20-002m" which the dealer made no mention of on pickup. They just left it there for me to find and figure out on my own. It talks about why this trans may clunk and why its normal. To me its just another excuse from GM to not have to pay to fix a mass issue with their transmissions.

So now I have to buy cloth glue and take my door panel off to just take care of things myself. As for the squeak and clunk, I'm just going to drive it and enjoy the car unless something catastrophically fails, which I'm guessing is the only time I can get any actual warranty service done.

Thanks,
J

Tags
manual, question, transmision