Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #29
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Thank-you! So it is fine to just connect to the power distribution block up front. That makes it pretty easy.

And thanks for the photo of the OEM battery specs. That'll help me identify the optimal Lithium battery to replace it when I decide I can find enough moderate weight reduction items to make it worthwhile. The 30lb reduction you got by itself is about 30/3700 = 8/10ths of a pound. Find 5 more of similar magnitude and you've got a 5% weight reduction in the entire weight of the car. You'd probably have to spend much more money to pick up 5% more power.

On my most recent motorcycle project, I took 18 lb off a bike that weighed 412 lb beforehand, so a 18/412 = 4.4% weight reduction. Then I did just ONE other change: Smaller front sprocket and larger rear sprocket to stiffen the gearing. My performance modeling software showed a 0.8 second reduction in the quarter mile time, with the entire 0.8 seconds occurring in the 0 to 60 mph speed range. Perfect for the street OR dragstrip.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #30
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
How much does weighing a car with a CAT scale cost?

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #31
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Cost of weighing on a commercial scale varies. At some local recycling locations, they'll weigh your vehicle for maybe $10 and sometimes even free.

The big thing to watch for though is the accuracy of the scale when weighing anything in the same weight range as your car.

Most highway truck scales are designed to weigh very heavy vehicles (80,000 lb or more) and to do so quickly. They might not have the absolute accuracy needed to weigh an under 4000 lb car with the precision you might expect.

I know that when I asked a local recycling center to weigh my Kawasaki ZX-6R sportbike, and asked about the accuracy, I was told it was "accurate to 5 kg". But, the operator did not know what that meant:

Does it mean the weight shown is no further than 5 kg higher or 5kg lower than actual? If so, that means the reported weight is potentially either up to 5 lb higher than reported or up to 5 lb lighter than reported.

Or, does it simply mean that the scale does not display "single kg units", and rounds to the nearest 5 kg? If so, you actually have the potential for a much larger inaccuracy, because the DISPLAY limitation is only half the story. You have to add in the actual scale's error to the display error.

That means up to only plus 2.5 kg or minus 2.5 kg error due to the rounding of the DISPLAY, PLUS whatever the potential error in actual scale weight is! (i.e. the digital display unit rounds the already inaccurate actual scale weight)

The question you want to ask the operator is: What is the maximum potential error versus actual weight in the printed report you are going to give me?

If he or she says "50 lb", you might want to try a different scale.

If he or she says "200 lb", you do want to try a different scale! (Even though a 200 lb error is only a one quarter of one percent error on an 80,000 lb vehicle)

Jim G
Old 11-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #32
JimGnitecki

p.s. to above: You do realize that different fuel mixes weigh a different amount per gallon, right?

For example, premium gasoline is notably more heavy than regular gasoline.

I have no idea how much a variable percent ethanol gasoline can vary in weight, or how much a gasoline and meth mix can vary in weight.

Jim G
Old 11-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #33
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
$13 in late august.

i have also used the feed mill in town, they never charged me anything.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #34
JimGnitecki

Following up on charging the car battery when not using it often enough to dounter parasitic draws:

The Antigravity website offers a Ctek cigarette lighter plug harness that allows you to charge your battery via the vehicle's cigarette lighter outlet. It of course requires that:
- The vehicle has a cigarette lighter outlet
- That outlet is powered when the vehicle ignition is fully "off" (apparently some cigarette lighter outlets are "always on" while others require the ignition to be in "accessory" or "on" modes).

I believe that it also requires using a Ctek charger.

The harness is cheap: $14US.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...ctek-cig-plug/

Note though that using the cigarette lighter outlet requires that the power cord for the Ctek charger, or the output cord, comes into the car via an fully or slightly open window or some other path. I assume that leaving a Camaro "indexing" window open with the ignition off MIGHT cause the window to not index properly on closing the door in normal use?

Or, letting the door close with the window up, while the power cord or output cord is trapped on the perimeter of the window glass, can't be good for the window's rubber seal?

Jim G
Old 11-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #35
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Drives: 2017 SS
2017 1SS with a sun roof.
Weld Belmont 18X5/Hoosier Drag front
Weld Belmont 17X10 ET street R
Aero space Front brakes
Kirkey driver seat
Passenger seat removed
Auxiliary radiators delete
Front Sway bar removed
Belly pan removed
30 mile range so like 1/8 or 1/16 fuel in the tank

I do have some stuff that adds weight not sure how much but Front OEM lip and Zl1 sideskirts must’ve added something. Also car has the quiet Non NPP base muffler that my local exhaust shop custom cut and welded dual 4.5” tips on each side. I remember they were pretty heavy like 10lbs each side.
Attached Images

Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:23 PM   #36
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder6.2 View Post
Aero space Front brakes
Kirkey driver seat
Passenger seat removed
Front Sway bar removed
Belly pan removed

I do have some stuff that adds weight not sure how much but Front OEM lip and Zl1 sideskirts must’ve added something. Also car has the quiet Non NPP base muffler that my local exhaust shop custom cut and welded dual 4.5” tips on each side. I remember they were pretty heavy like 10lbs each side.
Nice weight reduction for sure. Yeah I run with a 1/8 tank of fuel also, glad to see that. BTW, how do you like the hoosier 28x4x18 front runners. I have been seriously thinking about those to use with the same rear tire as yours. Does the car stay straight going down the track? I will not be using the set up on the street. Was also looking at the VMS 18x5 wheel that uses the 60degree conic seat just like the OE wheel.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #37
lt4camaro

Quote:
Aero space Front brakes
Kirkey driver seat
Passenger seat removed
Front Sway bar removed
Belly pan removed

Another BTW, I realize the seat belt has to disconnected from the pass seat to remove the seat, can you tell me what I am looking at in the picture ? what is the big nut and bolt hooked to and how long does it take for the airbag light to go off after you reinstall the seat.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #38
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Nice weight reduction for sure. Yeah I run with a 1/8 tank of fuel also, glad to see that. BTW, how do you like the hoosier 28x4x18 front runners. I have been seriously thinking about those to use with the same rear tire as yours. Does the car stay straight going down the track? I will not be using the set up on the street. Was also looking at the VMS 18x5 wheel that uses the 60degree conic seat just like the OE wheel.
Not bad could use another 100lbs of WR lol
I’ve been daily driving this drag pack for the last 3-4 months have put about 1500 miles on it and even drove in medium rain no different than stock imo. Very stable and the ride quality is is much nicer with the thick tires. 100% would recommend. If only they were DOT legal.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #39
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Quote:
Another BTW, I realize the seat belt has to disconnected from the pass seat to remove the seat, can you tell me what I am looking at in the picture ? what is the big nut and bolt hooked to and how long does it take for the airbag light to go off after you reinstall the seat.
Don’t remember what size socket took the seatbelt off, had to try so many diff sizes lol
Old 11-17-2022, 07:18 PM   #40
lt4camaro

Quote:
Not bad could use another 100lbs of WR lol
I’ve been daily driving this drag pack for the last 3-4 months have put about 1500 miles on it and even drove in medium rain no different than stock imo. Very stable and the ride quality is is much nicer with the thick tires. 100% would recommend. If only they were DOT legal.
So its stable and straight going down the 1/4 mile ?
Old 11-18-2022, 01:43 AM   #41
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Quote:
So its stable and straight going down the 1/4 mile ?
Yeah
Old 11-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #42
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I can see removing the passenger seat and rear, I did that on my 16 SS and I left the rear seat out on this car when I wired the JMS boost pump. But put it back in except the seat bottom last time I raced which weighs the most. But basically striping the car of so many panels isn't for me. Like the plastic under car pieces is also for Aero Dynamics make smooth transition from front to rear. They just don't weigh enough to make it worth removing. Removing the crash bar is really dangerous if you have crash for any reason. Disconnecting or removing the sway bar did help my 16 SS transfer weight a little better. If your going to remove weight do it from the front seats forward, leave weight in the back for traction. Pulling door panels, headliner, etc just seems overkill, hey but that's just me. I drive mine and don't want all the extra road and exhaust noise. I'd rather add hp then remove a lot of weight. But that's why we all have choices and not gigging people for doing it. Every hundred pounds does make a difference for sure and when your knocking off a few hundred pounds that is for sure significant. Go for it and don't hammer me for my opinion since we all have one.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff

Last edited by laynlo15; 11-19-2022 at 08:23 AM.
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote