#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 11-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #1
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Drives: i want a camaro
rear alignment for the link rods

i plan on replacing the rear link rods (LT/RS style to SS style), i have a bigger question, do i need an alignment after i install the components on to the car and also do i need to do a torque on the lift and final torque (on the ground) as well
Attached Images

D.O.M.D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
If there is cam bolts on there - YES.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #3
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
thanks bro

but do i need to do a final torque once the car is on the ground
Old 11-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.M.D1 View Post
but do i need to do a final torque once the car is on the ground
If those links use a bonded rubber bushing, then yes you should wait to do the final torque until the car is at loaded static ride height. If the joints are some kind of ball joint that allows the inner metal sleeve to spin inside the bushing/joint, then you don't need to do that. I'm not sure on these links and I can't tell for sure from the picture, but you can check it out yourself. Bolt one end of the link up and tighten the bolt and see if you can rotate the link around that bolt without the arm springing back into its original position.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #5
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
If those links use a bonded rubber bushing, then yes you should wait to do the final torque until the car is at loaded static ride height. If the joints are some kind of ball joint that allows the inner metal sleeve to spin inside the bushing/joint, then you don't need to do that. I'm not sure on these links and I can't tell for sure from the picture, but you can check it out yourself. Bolt one end of the link up and tighten the bolt and see if you can rotate the link around that bolt without the arm springing back into its original position.
hey Msquared, i just checked the joints/bushing sleeves and they do not rotate, so that means i need to do a final torque once the vehicle is in the ground and when it at the static ride height, and i need to speak to the mechanic if he touches suspension (it can be a fickle beast) in any way, shape or form, keep in mind im changing the RS/LT (solid bushings) link rods to the SS link rods (pillow ball bushings) for a better ride.

thanks for the info
Old 11-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #6
Msquared

If the links you're using have pillow ball joints, then they should allow free rotation about their bolt axis. Check the video below to see a good example. If so, that would mean you don't have to worry about ride height when tightening the bolt. The OE joints are often really stiff when brand new, so they may just not be easy to rotate yet, but you should be able to rotate them if you bolt them in (or put the inner sleeve in a vice, like in the video) and use the link's leverage to rotate them.

Video
Old 11-29-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Quote:
If the links you're using have pillow ball joints, then they should allow free rotation about their bolt axis. Check the video below to see a good example. If so, that would mean you don't have to worry about ride height when tightening the bolt. The OE joints are often really stiff when brand new, so they may just not be easy to rotate yet, but you should be able to rotate them if you bolt them in (or put the inner sleeve in a vice, like in the video) and use the link's leverage to rotate them.

Video
thanks, Msquared for the video, i got the idea from Mishimoto on one of their project cars that they have

Old 11-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
Msquared

Quote:
thanks, Msquared for the video, i got the idea from Mishimoto on one of their project cars that they have
Gotcha. Yeah, you don't need to wait to put the car at final ride height before tightening those bolts for the pillow ball toe links. The inner sleeve (and ball) can rotate inside the outer sleeve freely, so it won't cause any bind to tighten it while the suspension is still at full droop.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:56 PM   #9
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Quote:
Gotcha. Yeah, you don't need to wait to put the car at final ride height before tightening those bolts for the pillow ball toe links. The inner sleeve (and ball) can rotate inside the outer sleeve freely, so it won't cause any bind to tighten it while the suspension is still at full droop.
ok, i just looked up the BMR toe rod instructions (its different on how they do it), if i do that, I'm going to go crazy, i may need to buy new Torque
to Yield bolts i think for the inner part (to the subframe/cradle), but it should work itself out, I don't know if i should follow BMRs (its creditable information) lead or everything should work out, i mean the car is going to be for casual street use (and some runs in mexico) and not for track or autocross usage

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/TR007.pdf
Old 11-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #10
Msquared

Quote:
ok, i just looked up the BMR toe rod instructions (its different on how they do it), if i do that, I'm going to go crazy, i may need to buy new Torque
to Yield bolts i think for the inner part (to the subframe/cradle), but it should work itself out, I don't know if i should follow BMRs (its creditable information) lead or everything should work out, i mean the car is going to be for casual street use (and some runs in mexico) and not for track or autocross usage

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/TR007.pdf
You might be conflating their toe adjustment instructions in Step 8 with installation instructions. They aren't the same thing: their rod-ended toe links get rid of the factory eccentric toe adjuster and instead you rotate the link tube on the two rod ends to lengthen or shorten the link. Step 8 is how you lengthen or shorten the BMR toe link to adjust toe, since you've eliminated the factory eccentric adjuster. Ignore that step and all mention of the "lockout washers." Once you do that, their instructions amount to:
  1. Jack car up and remove wheels.
  2. Unbolt old toe link.
  3. Bolt on new toe link and torque bolts to spec.
  4. Reinstall wheels and lower car down off of jack.

In your case, it's truly that simple. I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over the TTY bolts. If you can't get them in time, just reuse the ones you have. BMR even says that's what they did.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:01 PM   #11
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Quote:
You might be conflating their toe adjustment instructions in Step 8 with installation instructions. They aren't the same thing: their rod-ended toe links get rid of the factory eccentric toe adjuster and instead you rotate the link tube on the two rod ends to lengthen or shorten the link. Step 8 is how you lengthen or shorten the BMR toe link to adjust toe, since you've eliminated the factory eccentric adjuster. Ignore that step and all mention of the "lockout washers." Once you do that, their instructions amount to:
  1. Jack car up and remove wheels.
  2. Unbolt old toe link.
  3. Bolt on new toe link and torque bolts to spec.
  4. Reinstall wheels and lower car down off of jack.

In your case, it's truly that simple. I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over the TTY bolts. If you can't get them in time, just reuse the ones you have. BMR even says that's what they did.
ok, thanks i need to look into it some more, I have some time before I get my car (and a 1,500-mile break-in period) and I need to ask my mechanic or a shop that specializes in suspension

thanks for your help
Old 12-01-2022, 10:52 PM   #12
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
thanks bro
Old 12-02-2022, 11:12 PM   #13
D.O.M.D1
Banned

i think these are the bolts/hardware I'm referring to

M12x1.75x135 Rear Suspension Link Inner Bolt - GM (11611276)
M12x1.75x80.9 Multi-Purpose Bolt - GM (11609598)
Attached Images

Last edited by D.O.M.D1; 12-13-2022 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:19 AM   #14
Msquared

Quote:
i think these are the bolts/ hardware im referring to

M12x1.75x135 Rear Suspension Link Inner Bolt - GM (11611276)
M12x1.75x80.9 Multi-Purpose Bolt - GM (11609598)
Yes, you are keeping the stock eccentric toe adjustment (the inner bolt), and therefore you should get the rear toe reset when you replace these links. All other alignment parameters will stay the same, so it's just the rear toe that needs to done.