Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 11-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
Whiterocket

Drives: 2016 2SS White w/blk whls, MRC, 6sp
Drive Shaft Slop, Manual Shift

My SS 6-speed manual has about 40,000 miles on it. It has developed what I call slop in the drive train. Symptom is if I do not make a real smooth shift, particularly in the lower gears, you hear what appears to be a U-joint that has a lot of play in it. Is this common with the stock drive shaft? Anyone else having this problem?
Whiterocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:12 PM   #2
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
It only does that when you shift? How about when you're cruising in gear and then hammer down on the throttle?
PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:15 AM   #3
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
My 2018 with 35K has a slight audible thunk when taking up slack in the drive train, every time I'm under there I look around and nothing is askew, it seems more from the differential.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
Whiterocket

It does it only when I shift, or in 1st gear if running at a low speed if I suddenly back off the throttle.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
Whiterocket

My fear is that it is in the differential. I have not got under there to check it out yet. Likely not catastrophic problem brewing, just a loosening up of tolerances as it gets older. Like my body.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterocket View Post
My fear is that it is in the differential. I have not got under there to check it out yet. Likely not catastrophic problem brewing, just a loosening up of tolerances as it gets older. Like my body.
I can tell you this man, I test drove 2 new 6 speed.manual LT1s when I made my purchase. The one I did not buy did the same exact thing you are describing, noticeable thunk on shift, you can shift soft enough to avoid or minimize it, but it is more noticeable under load. The only logical explanation I could imagine was that something was loose in the drivetrain. I think you need to safely get under the car and verify unless you are going to let the dealer or a shop diagnose it.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
Whiterocket

I will have a good local independent shop take a look. He works on a lot of hot rods,and has built dragsters. I was hoping someone might say something like "yes, easy cheap fix. Upgrade your U joints."
Old 11-14-2022, 05:38 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
If it is your rear diff I can break down what it cost to have one replaced:( Just had a new one put in my car. Started making a lot of noise when you let off of the gas. Good Luck
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:56 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Remember that there has to be some slop in the driveline, lash, or it'll self-destruct. Problem is how much you have and is that in spec and it more precisely can't be measured without opening up the diff that I'm aware of. That and the throwout bearing can be a thing, too, that makes some bothersom noise.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #10
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
2017 SS manual 46k miles, mine started making the exact noise you described as well around 40k. I haven't bothered figuring out what is happening yet. I also have noticeable thunk noise coming from my shifter when going over bumps. Probably all related to the the transmission mount slowly dying.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #11
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Something that I haven't seen mentioned is that I believe that our cars have a dual mass flywheel that dampens torque peaks and vibration before they get to the transmission. If the internals of the flywheel wear or fail prematurely, it could make a clunking sound that is being discussed here.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:07 AM   #12
switzer

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro X2 Ford Excursion
2022 Camaro 1LE driveshaft\pinion slop

The differential in my 2022 Camaro has alot of slop. This car has 1,475 miles on it and I have been following the break in process for the most part. One dealership stated that was normal.
Here are a couple of short videos. It is a 6 speed manual and sounds like the ring and pinion is about to explode when driven.
Links to videos
https://plus.gopro.com/media-library/0r7vPbKLZe8Ze
https://plus.gopro.com/media-library/zPgJyOadr7zWd

Ideas, suggestions and opinions accepted.

Thank you.
switzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive shaft, u-joint, universal joint