Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
Melon's HDPE Adventures

Going to use this as a way to keep track of my HDPE driving events.

Driving Experience:
7 years SCCA Autocross (CAM-S and STX mostly)
5 Track events

First one is today, TNIA @ NOLA Motorsports Park.

Mileage: 887

Mods:
RBF 600 DOT 4 Fluid
Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen 2 5w-40 (DEXOS 2)

Looking into some data recording options, the car didn't come with the PDR.
Trackaddict seems to be the best option for what I'm looking for, as I'm not doing time trials or nationals events, just looking to take my driving to the next level. Going to try out the free version today.
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon View Post
Going to use this as a way to keep track of my HDPE driving events.

Driving Experience:
7 years SCCA Autocross (CAM-S and STX mostly)
5 Track events

First one is today, TNIA @ NOLA Motorsports Park.

Mileage: 887

Mods:
RBF 600 DOT 4 Fluid
Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen 2 5w-40 (DEXOS 2)

Looking into some data recording options, the car didn't come with the PDR.
Trackaddict seems to be the best option for what I'm looking for, as I'm not doing time trials or nationals events, just looking to take my driving to the next level. Going to try out the free version today.
I would look into racechrono as well. And just go ahead and buy it, you get much better features with the full version of the program. Trackaddict doesnt do predictive laptiming. Also you will get much better data out of these systems with an external GPS. Phone GPS isn't very reliable from my experience.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
Melon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I would look into racechrono as well. And just go ahead and buy it, you get much better features with the full version of the program. Trackaddict doesnt do predictive laptiming. Also you will get much better data out of these systems with an external GPS. Phone GPS isn't very reliable from my experience.
Thanks, I'll look into racechrono, and a GPS unit is a must, I kept having issues with track addict where it thought I was on pit lane and wouldn't log the lap properly. All I was using was my Pixel 6 and a mount. An OBDII logger would also be beneficial.

I lapped a 2.07.1s Lap, while being slowed down by a car ahead. There's definitely room for improvement, but I'm happy with it.

Initial Impressions:
I ran in PTM: Dry for the first session and PTM: Sport 1 for the remainder of the day. It kept the throttle in check a little too much for my liking, but still allowed some slip, and a little under-throttle rotation. Tires held up really well, they handled the heat.

Ambient temps were 88 degrees, coolant stayed perfect, oil got to 275/280 but never went over. Too high for my liking, but apparently the car can handle it. I'll still be doing an oil change soon.

Really impressed with the car, with just an oil and brake fluid change, it can go out and do a pretty quick lap out of the box. I'm not an experienced track driver at all, and this was my second time on this course.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #4
Melon

Video:

https://youtu.be/2E6T457hfP0

Last edited by Melon; 10-14-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:47 PM   #5
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I would definitely recommend signing up for a NASA event at NOLA if you want to drive that track again! Unlike TNIA, NASA provides in car instructors for those like you who are not experienced track drivers but you will probably have to sign up well in advance to get an instructor. Instruction should help you improve and prevent any bad habits. I have enjoyed all of the NASA events that I attended at NOLA.

https://members.drivenasa.com/regions/29
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #6
Melon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I would definitely recommend signing up for a NASA event at NOLA if you want to drive that track again! Unlike TNIA, NASA provides in car instructors for those like you who are not experienced track drivers but you will probably have to sign up well in advance to get an instructor. Instruction should help you improve and prevent any bad habits. I have enjoyed all of the NASA events that I attended at NOLA.

https://members.drivenasa.com/regions/29
Thanks for the heads up, I see Chris Carver is listed on there as a contact. I know him well and will talk to him.

I see they require a HANS device, not a bad idea to get one if I plan to continue to do track driving.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
cdrptrks

They didn't require HANS or Simpson Hybrid S for street cars in HPDE the times I went in the past (most recently last spring).
Old 10-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #8
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I see Chris Carver is listed on there as a contact. I know him well and will talk to him.

I see they require a HANS device, not a bad idea to get one if I plan to continue to do track driving.
Quote:
They didn't require HANS or Simpson Hybrid S for street cars in HPDE the times I went in the past (most recently last spring).
Was just at Watkins Glen with them, no Hans.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
Melon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Was just at Watkins Glen with them, no Hans.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:07 PM   #10
Melon

Did my first autocross in the car.
DELTA SCCA: Nola Motorsports Park

https://youtu.be/-OON4cxp7c0

Event Results:
https://delta-scca.org/wp-content/up...oct2022raw.htm
10th out of 44 drivers, I'm happy with that for my first time out in this car.

Few things to note:
The tires need some heat, but do grip well for the intended purpose of the tire.
The brakes need heat too, could use some more initial bite but not bad at all for stock pads.

Been on Apex's website shopping for 19" wheels. I can get a staggered setup that will keep me in stock class, or go square and go to CAM-C.

Looking at the PAX

FS: 0.814
CAM-C: 0.819

For the added freedom of tire size, I'd be losing minimally in PAX.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Nice! The Supercar 3 tires are slower than the super 200 autocross tires in my experience and almost impossible to keep warm enough for good autocross grip in cooler Houston weather unless your runs are only a few minutes apart...definitely pick wheels that are the right width to fit the available autocross tires. You can fit 305 front and 325 rear (ZL1 1LE wheels/tires) on the SS 1LE with the strut mod for clearance but the front poke is extreme because of the narrower front fenders on the SS 1LE. Wider is better for more mechanical grip as long as the tires you want to run are available in the desired width. Also wheels with kurnled bead seats are a good idea to prevent the tires from slipping on the rim causing imbalance and vibrations, especially if you might use the same wheels on track.

There's also a rear differential tune available that you could run in CAM-C which makes a noticeable improvement for autocross when you are driving with traction and stability control fully disabled but I don't know if it might make the car oversteer more in lower speed corners at track days. There are some posts about it here on the forum if you search.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:13 AM   #12
Melon

Quote:
Nice! The Supercar 3 tires are slower than the super 200 autocross tires in my experience and almost impossible to keep warm enough for good autocross grip in cooler Houston weather unless your runs are only a few minutes apart...definitely pick wheels that are the right width to fit the available autocross tires. You can fit 305 front and 325 rear (ZL1 1LE wheels/tires) on the SS 1LE with the strut mod for clearance but the front poke is extreme because of the narrower front fenders on the SS 1LE. Wider is better for more mechanical grip as long as the tires you want to run are available in the desired width. Also wheels with kurnled bead seats are a good idea to prevent the tires from slipping on the rim causing imbalance and vibrations, especially if you might use the same wheels on track.

There's also a rear differential tune available that you could run in CAM-C which makes a noticeable improvement for autocross when you are driving with traction and stability control fully disabled but I don't know if it might make the car oversteer more in lower speed corners at track days. There are some posts about it here on the forum if you search.
Apex sells 19x10" which can fit a 305, might do those at each corner. I'll check into the knurled bead.

I've read up on the differential tune, I'd like to keep the car within warranty for the moment.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:30 AM   #13
Melon

Autocross @ NOLA Motorsports 11.12.22
https://delta-scca.org/wp-content/up...nov2022raw.htm

Was wet most of the day, but was trying out PTM: Race when it finally dried up. I think this is what I'll use for the time being, allows me to really open it up.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:46 PM   #14
Melon

Track day @ Circuit Grand Bayou.

Man this car is a ton of fun. Unfortunately, the surface was VERY rocky, and my windshield is peppered, with two bad spots, one started cracking on the way home, so I'll have to get that repaired.

Overall a great track, only 1.8 miles, and cheap to run. They just need to get it swept up much better before I'll be back. (My buddy in front of me is in a K24 swapped NB, unfortunately he popped his radiator shortly after this video was taken.)