Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #29
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
This is the weld:
Attachment 1110413

The pinion bearing kind of feels a little too rough as well when you spin it kind of feels like some grit is in the bearing.........Seems like I almost need a very tiny bearing separator to get up in between the seal and pull it off.
That’s an odd looking weld and not what I was expecting to see. Did you ever have any wheel hop during spirited driving? I like your idea to get the seal removed.

Quote:
As for the part you are talking about, is it the washer/backing plate looking thing that broke in half? I really would hope it did cause it and this superior European differential isn't that big of a POS haha.
Yes that’s the part I’m talking about.

LOL @ the big POS statement!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #30
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
That’s an odd looking weld and not what I was expecting to see. Did you ever have any wheel hop during spirited driving? I like your idea to get the seal removed.

Yes that’s the part I’m talking about.

LOL @ the big POS statement!
No wheel hop that I can ever remember, this car does a very good job of keeping that under control.

I guess if I can get the carrier pin out, I would guess everything else would just come out normally like other differentials.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:36 PM   #31
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
No wheel hop that I can ever remember, this car does a very good job of keeping that under control.

I guess if I can get the carrier pin out, I would guess everything else would just come out normally like other differentials.
Yeah there’s nothing there that looks to specific or unique that this wouldn’t come right apart.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #32
cmitchell17

So looks like I failed to notice there was a spring pin or roll pin or something holding in the carrier pin:

Name:  IMG20221013221320.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  184.8 KB

Name:  IMG20221013221333.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  277.4 KB

Name:  IMG20221013221315.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  298.5 KB

Name:  IMG20221013221307.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  IMG20221013221246.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  137.7 KB

The clutches look fine to me, but both of the thrust washer/preload shims or whatever they are before the clutches and plates are broken. So if it wasn't from the impact not sure what happened here.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #33
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
So if it wasn't from the impact not sure what happened here.
Did the impact to the rear wheel occur while the car was moving or stationary?
I do think the side impact fractured the clutch plate. Possibly just from a sudden dramatic load change. Even popping the clutch on a manual has multiple driveline components (clutches, tires, etc.) to absorb some of the shock. But a side hit on a wheel can go from 60 to zero instantly.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #34
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Did the impact to the rear wheel occur while the car was moving or stationary?
I do think the side impact fractured the clutch plate. Possibly just from a sudden dramatic load change. Even popping the clutch on a manual has multiple driveline components (clutches, tires, etc.) to absorb some of the shock. But a side hit on a wheel can go from 60 to zero instantly.
It was moving, I would think it would get attenuated through the cv shafts, and I would also think the shim (which I think may be like a Bellevue washer) wouldn't be what breaks, but like what I think someone said above it's probablygot a more specific heat treatment making it more brittle than the friction and steel plates.