Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 10-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #1
jeffyhopper

Drives: toyota camry
BMW M440i convertible vs Camaro 2SS convertible, on curvy roads

Hello, Camaro lovers. I was searching for the information regarding how a Camaro SS convertible handles on curvy roads comparing to other soft-top convertibles, and found this article by Car And Driver: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Obviously a M440i vert is way more expensive than a Camaro SS vert by roughly 10k, and less powerful (380hp vs 450hp). On the other hand, a M4 competition vert has more power than the Camaro vert at twice the price tag. So, I would say it is kind of fair to compare the M440i vert vs a Camaro 2SS vert...

In the Car And Driver review above, the editor is quite critical about how M440i vert handles at curvy roads by saying "the M440i exhibited a decidedly un-BMW-like appetite for understeer, and can pull merely 0.91g without losing grip." On the straight line, the M440i vert seems behaves equally well to a Camaro 2SS vert according to the review: "only 4.1 seconds to dispatch 60 mph"

I didn't find any reviews or videos comparing these 2 verts, so I am wondering what you guys think about whether Camaro 2SS vert handles better then M440i vert at curvy roads?
jeffyhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:36 AM   #2
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
I tested a BMW 440i vert before I bought my Camaro SS Coupe. This was in 2017.

The difference was huge on curvy roads. The Camaro was way more like a sports car. It was not just the handling, but also the transmission.

I had the feeling that the BMW 440i vert was built for the eldery generation who wanted to have a sporty feeling car.

For example:

- the BMW had an electric belt feed which pushes the belt in the direction of your hands when you enter the car
- the suspension was really soft compared to the Camaro
- the transmission was really slow and not responsive and it felt more like comfort was more important than fast gear changes
- the stability control intervened really very early
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
jeffyhopper

Drives: toyota camry
Thanks for sharing this! Hopefully a Camaro vert will retain most of the sporty feelings of the coupe.
jeffyhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
The new M4 is probably the ugliest car on the road now which should also be a factor.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote