Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Victor_SS

Drives: Grey Camaro 2SS
Questions about reaching 600+ rwhp

Hey guys, so I've been doing some research for the past few months and I want all your opinions and experiences with reaching my goal. I drive a 2010 Camaro 2ss manual. I want to reach at least 600 rwhp, my budget is about 20k-30k. My mods so far are a borla exhaust and a hotchkis stage 3 suspension kit. What other mods would be necessary to have it be a safe and reliable daily driver? Oh and I do plan on going with a supercharger for sure, probably a magnuson tvs2300.
Victor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
You said it has to be supercharger but does it have to be a PD type blower? With a manual car and your budget, 600whp is a very brief stop on your way to way more. A big centri does big power much better.

Last edited by AGP Turbo; 03-14-2017 at 09:47 PM.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_SS View Post
Hey guys, so I've been doing some research for the past few months and I want all your opinions and experiences with reaching my goal. I drive a 2010 Camaro 2ss manual. I want to reach at least 600 rwhp, my budget is about 20k-30k. My mods so far are a borla exhaust and a hotchkis stage 3 suspension kit. What other mods would be necessary to have it be a safe and reliable daily driver? Oh and I do plan on going with a supercharger for sure, probably a magnuson tvs2300.
Check this thread out as I was asking similar questions.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458853
SC (SLP TVS2300),
Black wing CAI (designed for SLP SC)
JRE super tensioner
Fuel system (ZL1pump/ADM control module/ID850 injectors)
wheels/tires
NGK TR7IX plugs
MSD wires
ZR1 3 bar map sensor
160° thermostat
Crank pin kit
Navy Chief MoonsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:

I remember saying that.

Easy to make that HP and a lot more on that budget depending on what route you want. If SC, then you're going to have to header up, mess with pulleys. Not sure what the Hotchis kits has but suspension mods like trailing arms, toe rods, beefier rear diff, axles and driveshaft, solid cradle bushings, clutch.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Victor_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
You said it has to be supercharger but does it have to be a PD type blower? With a manual car and your budget, 600whp is a very brief stop on your way to way more. A big centri does big power much better.
I also had a procharger in mind, specifically the i-1 procharger. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Victor_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post

I remember saying that.

Easy to make that HP and a lot more on that budget depending on what route you want. If SC, then you're going to have to header up, mess with pulleys. Not sure what the Hotchis kits has but suspension mods like trailing arms, toe rods, beefier rear diff, axles and driveshaft, solid cradle bushings, clutch.
For sure I am getting some headers and a cat back exhaust. I'm planning on getting some stainless works 2" headers with their 3" cat back exhaust. The kit I have has lowering springs, front and rear sway bars, strut bar, end links, and an underbody brace. Will definitely upgrade the axles, tie rods, axles and the clutch. I've heard conflicting opinions about if the rear differential can handle 600 hp or not. Haven't heard a solid answer on that yet.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
Yezzir600

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Dreksnot completely right, mine also was supposed to my "daily" now I need a new daily.

The second you pass that 550 mark with a blower you enter a world of a ton of supporting mods, gambling on whether or not you were lucky to get a motor that lasts (pending good tune of course) and that power and above has the awesome abality of exposing all your weak links (i.e. clutch to axles).

You gotta pay to play is understatement.
Yezzir600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Victor_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief MoonsSS View Post
Check this thread out as I was asking similar questions.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458853
Thanks for link on that thread, definitely answered questions that I had.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Turbo/Turbos would be an easy route to 600, easier than SC. They allow the car to be much closer, or just like it was before, the daily driver. That is, unless, you cam the car, which isn't necessary for that power level. Way back when my twins were installed, and with a poor tune, I was at 590, then a better tune at 632, then added a boost controller to hit 672, and so on... Stock everything else on the car so it was a daily driver with some power on reserve at the punch of the throttle. That being said, a centri is also a great route to go. A top mount SC will need "aid" to get to that desired power level and remove some to that daily cruise comfort. So many directions to travel to obtain that power, but all are great.

It looks like your Hotchis is more of a cornering-style upgrade and not straight-line. If you're only planning on running on the street with street tires, not much issue there. But ONCE you decide to take it to the strip to see what it will do (I did that once, also), then that's a whole different story for the suspension components - that's the part where you'll need stronger diff, axles, trailing arms, toe links, and the such.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
CGbambam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
My car was my daily when it had a F1X, and I still drive it pretty often now that it's on twins. Either one is pretty easy to daily if you don't mind the noise and mpg. 600 rwhp on a stick is cake. Either one should be easily obtained. LSA would to be honest the cheapest and most factory option in my opinion. Or you could drop a 416 or 427 in it if you want to hit 600rwhp n/a
CGbambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
I have 633 on mine. Just check the signature and my garage.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
I also had a procharger in mind, specifically the i-1 procharger. Any thoughts on that?
Because the M/T cars are so overbuilt from the factory I would recommend now that you plan ahead now for at least 800whp. The second you have 600whp and get use to it, you are going to want way more. Just give yourself the option of room to grow.
I don't think the i-1 can support that much power so I would recommend the ECS kit. As it ships out of the box it is all the airflow, belt system, pulley etc. you need for 800whp.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Last i seen the i-1 maxed out at 8 psi(I stand corrected they do have a upgrade to 9 psi now)plus it was also around 2/2500 dollors more than other superchargers, if you want flexible boost i would just go turbo, if not i would stay with your other options listed imo

Last edited by Moreair1; 03-15-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
Victor_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Turbo/Turbos would be an easy route to 600, easier than SC. They allow the car to be much closer, or just like it was before, the daily driver. That is, unless, you cam the car, which isn't necessary for that power level. Way back when my twins were installed, and with a poor tune, I was at 590, then a better tune at 632, then added a boost controller to hit 672, and so on... Stock everything else on the car so it was a daily driver with some power on reserve at the punch of the throttle. That being said, a centri is also a great route to go. A top mount SC will need "aid" to get to that desired power level and remove some to that daily cruise comfort. So many directions to travel to obtain that power, but all are great.

It looks like your Hotchis is more of a cornering-style upgrade and not straight-line. If you're only planning on running on the street with street tires, not much issue there. But ONCE you decide to take it to the strip to see what it will do (I did that once, also), then that's a whole different story for the suspension components - that's the part where you'll need stronger diff, axles, trailing arms, toe links, and the such.
I did think about doing a twin turbo setup instead of supercharging, but the only thing that shut me down was how lots of people were saying how more simply a S/C is compared to a turbo, as in maintenance and less parts to install. I wouldn't mind having a turbo at all, I loved the Hellion twin turbo kit. And yes, I will mainly be on the street with street tires. The reliability is my main concern. I don't want parts breaking on me after my install.