Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
malscott

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I "bit the bullet" on the ecs kit and i couldnt be happier with the hp gains, but it is definitly not cheap IMHO. Have you thought about a zl1 setup? It would be a little easier on your wallet and since you just want to pep the car up a little bit it will give you plenty of that and more especially if you do cam and bolt ons
malscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I've done the LSA conversion on my L99 -- heads,cam, etc...

You can check out my build thread to see -- I've done a lot to the car...

Going on 11K miles since I've done the upgrads

590+ RWHP, 6 PSI boost with cam/heads/sc/headers...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief MoonsSS View Post
Thanks for the responses...and yes I have thought of just the cam and in order to do that right...upgrade the heads and springs and alp that stuff is still around 5k $...so nother saving money on that...it is in most people's thought that it is under 3k and I guess it "could" be but I don't want it to bite the dust because of a cam without the right stuff either. And that's what I am hoping as far as daily driver...I have 3 vehicles so if I need to I CAN keep the miles off of the Camaro...but lol where's the fun in that? I bought the monster in order to have fun and show it off...from my roots I don't want problems hince why I am avoiding meth and all of the above 650 rwhp world. I just want a reliable few pounds of boost...I mean factory cars come wIth this now a days...thank you again for your opinions and thoughts.
I can send you a parts list and a link to every website, for a full cam upgrade with all the supporting mods, and it is about $1500. I can send you a parts list and a link to every website, for a full cam upgrade with all the supporting mods, and it is about $1500. I did the labor myself so if you add in the Dyno tune in the SCT tuner it is a little more than $2000.

That's the springs, cam, hardened pushrods, oil pump, every gasket, trunnion upgrade, timing chain and damper. There's no way a cam cost as much as a super charger. Parts alone for a blower range from 4500-9000 depending on if it's used or your power goals.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
True, but that is only cam parts. What about a CAI, headers, PTB etc? That stuff adds up. If you add all that up, you can easily get to the $4k+ mark. Since most people only want to deal with a tune once, and a cam won't work great with a stock intake/manifolds, that should all be taken into account.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #19
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
True, but that is only cam parts. What about a CAI, headers, PTB etc? That stuff adds up. If you add all that up, you can easily get to the $4k+ mark. Since most people only want to deal with a tune once, and a cam won't work great with a stock intake/manifolds, that should all be taken into account.
Add it up. It's still not 4k. And even after that, who says the op isn't going to do that even after the blower.

A cam install vs a blower install isn't remotely comparable for cost.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
Unreal

100% agree. Just some people read that as $1500 for a cam, and think that is it. Heard it time and time again.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
failshift
Banned

Quote:
100% agree. Just some people read that as $1500 for a cam, and think that is it. Heard it time and time again.

Hell just the "cam job" a proper ls3 one is 2500-3k
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #22
Unreal

And any car adding power should be looking at doing things like bushings, axles, etc. So take into account a full build.

Like I said, starting from ground up is a great way to build a car. Get some good wheel/tires, brakes, suspension, then when you have more money later, add the power.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
And any car adding power should be looking at doing things like bushings, axles, etc. So take into account a full build.

Like I said, starting from ground up is a great way to build a car. Get some good wheel/tires, brakes, suspension, then when you have more money later, add the power.
Agreed,but I think it depends on the level of power you are adding. For a simple bolt on car lot of stuff is pretty pointless.
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:

Yep, unreal is stating what many of us have experienced ourselves. I had to look at the total impact of my changes. It's a money pit once you get started. I focused on suspension changes first, headers, tune, then did the cam, heads, blower, tune again, more suspension changes, cooling upgrades, etc.

I have axles and CF driveshaft after I added the power..

It's always something...

;o)
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #25
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Yep, unreal is stating what many of us have experienced ourselves. I had to look at the total impact of my changes. It's a money pit once you get started. I focused on suspension changes first, headers, tune, then did the cam, heads, blower, tune again, more suspension changes, cooling upgrades, etc.

I have axles and CF driveshaft after I added the power..

It's always something...
;o)
OK so I can get the s/c installed with headers and after a little more research I will probably put the Brian Toolie springs and bushings and rods on too. But when it comes to that power I am only guessing around 550 rwhp what kind of suspension stuff needs to be done? I am suspension ignorant.
Navy Chief MoonsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #26
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anti wheel hop kit.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #27
Unreal

Tires should be #1 thing IMO depending what you have on there.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #28
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief MoonsSS View Post
OK so I can get the s/c installed with headers and after a little more research I will probably put the Brian Toolie springs and bushings and rods on too. But when it comes to that power I am only guessing around 550 rwhp what kind of suspension stuff needs to be done? I am suspension ignorant.

I have the Brian Tooley stg 3 blower cam-
https://youtu.be/cqJWMX-5lA0

https://youtu.be/3lKAyBx-s6o
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote