Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Next steps to make the ZL1 faster on track?

Dear all

My (normal) ZL1 2018 has the following mods fitted:

- Apex wheels in ZLE dimension and 3R tires
- Rear cradle lock out kit
- Engine: Intake, exhaust and tune
- Racing alignment

It is a lot of fun, as you can see in the video (mine is the red car).

As always, over the winter I like to do some mods in my garage to make the car faster. I wondered what the next steps would be in order to gain laptime.

How much laptime would upgrading to the ZLE aero provide? What else can be done?

cheers
cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
cirpower

Note: The video car is a ZLE on racing slicks and full ARP aero kit.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Dear all

- Racing alignment

As always, over the winter I like to do some mods in my garage to make the car faster. I wondered what the next steps would be in order to gain laptime.

How much laptime would upgrading to the ZLE aero provide? What else can be done?

cheers
cirpower
Maybe spend money on trips to tracks down south for even more seat time during the winter. Your car seems like it's perfect already.

I just bought one of these to make mine faster while I'm driving: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690726
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
I noticed an improvement with using race brake pads - specifically Hawk DTC 70s.
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
ZL1 1LE aero will definitely help. I'd go OEM GM front parts (minus the upper grille), and Anderson Composites rear wing (or OEM if you have the coin).

Quote:
Dear all

- Racing alignment

cheers
cirpower
Old 10-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
I have a spare oem ZLE wing I’ll be selling shortly if interested.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Get weight out of it.
How far do you wanna go?
I made decision to make car as safe as possible and give up drivimg it on the street.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Take some driving classes, that's how I dropped times with an all stock vehicle.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
cirpower

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

ZRacerLE and supersportss:

Fully agree, driver mod is always best and for sure there is loads of potential. But with this tread I would like to understand how the driver mod can be supported by "better" machinery.

Zl1+911:

I forgot on my modifications list, but I am using the Hawk 70s already. I don't think they have improved my laptime on the specific track I am running though.

Badmojo:

Yeah, doing what Chevy has done seems like the most logical next step, but I wondered how much faster the car really gets with the aero. There was another ZL1 1LE there on that trackday and I could not see any benefit to the package I had. Now the car behind me with the APR stuff and the slicks was driving like on rails....

SCCAForums:

Please send me a PM.

NickyRacerBoy:

Agreed, seems like the best value for money. I did use an antigravity lithium battery, but unfortunately right before this event it died on me. They are switching it out. It weighs 6 pounds vs. 46 pounds OEM.
I want to keep the car basically as a daily driver, i.e. switch to the track wheels and be able to drive it on track. Any ideas how to drop weight and not negatively influence the daily driveability? I was thinking of the carbon doors....(but expensive and rather unsafe without a rollbar)...

cheers
cirpower
Old 11-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

ZRacerLE and supersportss:

Fully agree, driver mod is always best and for sure there is loads of potential. But with this tread I would like to understand how the driver mod can be supported by "better" machinery.

Zl1+911:

I forgot on my modifications list, but I am using the Hawk 70s already. I don't think they have improved my laptime on the specific track I am running though.

Badmojo:

Yeah, doing what Chevy has done seems like the most logical next step, but I wondered how much faster the car really gets with the aero. There was another ZL1 1LE there on that trackday and I could not see any benefit to the package I had. Now the car behind me with the APR stuff and the slicks was driving like on rails....

SCCAForums:

Please send me a PM.

NickyRacerBoy:

Agreed, seems like the best value for money. I did use an antigravity lithium battery, but unfortunately right before this event it died on me. They are switching it out. It weighs 6 pounds vs. 46 pounds OEM.
I want to keep the car basically as a daily driver, i.e. switch to the track wheels and be able to drive it on track. Any ideas how to drop weight and not negatively influence the daily driveability? I was thinking of the carbon doors....(but expensive and rather unsafe without a rollbar)...

cheers
cirpower
Fair enough!

Have you seen this?
https://jannettyracing.com/collectio...019-camaro-zl1

Sounds like it's been extensively tested on track days with zero thermal issues. Someone please speak up if I'm wrong.

Not a mod to do in the garage, but nice bang for the buck in my opinion.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The aero makes a difference on higher speed corners and high speed braking zones. It's fairly dramatic in certain sectors. I wouldn't base what works on a single lapping session with another driver in a 1LE.

Last edited by Badmojo; 11-02-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
cirpower

ZRacerLE:

I am basically using a similar package on my car already. It works very well and I do not experience any issues on track.

Badmojo:

Fair point, based on what you say there is a noticeable difference and it looks like it is worth it.

cheers
cirpower
Old 11-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Blast2hell

Drives: 2020 ZLE Rally Green A10
I think most people have made better recommendations, I'll just add a food for thought one. Possibly swap your rotors for some aftermarket ones? Girodisc rotors drop weight. You can get them at KNSBrakes.com, and pair them with some DTC 70's
Sebring Best Lap Time 2:29 Video
Roebling Road Best Lap Time 1:25 Video
Blast2hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast2hell View Post
I think most people have made better recommendations, I'll just add a food for thought one. Possibly swap your rotors for some aftermarket ones? Girodisc rotors drop weight. You can get them at KNSBrakes.com, and pair them with some DTC 70's
Seriously, if somebody here will have enough balls to claim a faster pace due to dropping rotor weight by a few pounds i will personally call Toto and suggest we got a replacement for Hamilton

But seriously: OP, so you wheel the car pretty nicely!
And you stay ahead of a ZLE on slicks with full aero, eh?
Yep aero will help in high speed sweepers, but ideally this would call for stiffer suspension a la DSSV to account for more down force (that's exactly what Ricky Bobby did on his race car and he is one smart cookie!).

The easiest and the most reliable mod to go faster would be a faster tire. Period.

The second suggestion, is to spend a few bucks on a nice iRacing rig for winter months. I will *guarantee* you your pace will improve, if you end up sim driving competitively there. That's no BS. Countless pros do it from all over the world and from different pro series.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote