Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
hep4186

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Engine Braking?

Is it just me or is there a delay between when you lift your foot off the gas and the engine braking starts? Happens in Tour and Sport but not so much in Track. Anyone else notice this?
hep4186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Could be related to rev hang (which is there to help with emissions I believe)? Engineering Explained did a good video explaining why manufacturers do this that I found interesting:
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
jb_camaro_2ss

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Arctic Blue
There seems to be barely any engine braking with this car. It's great for keeping the RPMs up for a sportier throttle response feel, but not so great if you're attempting to slow the car down.

jb_camaro_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
It changes depending on mode, track is pretty close to a mechanical throttle, or as close as it'll get, also seems to depend on rpms, but in any case it does let off the throttle more gradually vs your input sometimes. IMO, it mostly works well. Sometimes you notice it.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_camaro_2ss View Post
There seems to be barely any engine braking with this car. It's great for keeping the RPMs up for a sportier throttle response feel, but not so great if you're attempting to slow the car down.
1st, you shouldn't be using your engine for braking, that's what pads are for and they are cheap, it's been covered many time by those with automotive knowledge, the car guys, etc.

2nd, are you out of your mind? You need to drive a low-compression turbo engine if you think that this doesn't have a massive amount of engine braking available. Those turbo engines have very low compression due to the turbo providing a significant amount of compression and with that and the small displacement, they just don't slow down. It's not even close.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
Could be related to rev hang (which is there to help with emissions I believe)? Engineering Explained did a good video explaining why manufacturers do this that I found interesting:
Rev hang only happens on upshifts, and I don't think any sports cars are dumb enough to have them. Usually they are for family cars, and even when they have them, they get disabled above a certain RPM. My old 08 Accord 2.4 5-speed beater disables rev hang above 5k RPM, for example.

I think OP is talking about leaving the car in gear and lifting your foot of the gas.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #7
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Totally depends on speed, gear, and mode.
My car engine brakes up to 5k rpm going downhill on automatic. They're designed to handle it even thought alot of people say it's not good.

I usually slightly blip the gas when doing it manually for the sound.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I engine brake all the time with this car rev match makes it too easy. AS said the throttle mapping is different in the modes most notably in track.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
1st, you shouldn't be using your engine for braking, that's what pads are for and they are cheap, it's been covered many time by those with automotive knowledge, the car guys, etc.
There is nothing wrong with engine braking and will do ZERO HARM to your engine. The reason that engine braking is shunned is because people don't rev match on the downshift and it causes unnecessary wear on the clutch. If you rev match either manually or with ARM, there is no reason at all to avoid engine braking when slowing / stopping.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Rev hang only happens on upshifts, and I don't think any sports cars are dumb enough to have them. Usually they are for family cars, and even when they have them, they get disabled above a certain RPM. My old 08 Accord 2.4 5-speed beater disables rev hang above 5k RPM, for example.

I think OP is talking about leaving the car in gear and lifting your foot of the gas.
Ah that makes sense, my bad. One sports (sporty?) car that has really bad rev hang is the WRX. Most people put a different tune on them to remove that as it truly ruins the car in my opinion.

Glad to hear that maybe the Camaro doesn't have any!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
There is nothing wrong with engine braking and will do ZERO HARM to your engine. The reason that engine braking is shunned is because people don't rev match on the downshift and it causes unnecessary wear on the clutch. If you rev match either manually or with ARM, there is no reason at all to avoid engine braking when slowing / stopping.
This, not sure what that guy is talking about

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-for-your-car/
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
I have 177,000 miles on my 2009 Accord V6 6 speed manual and rev match to slow down using the engine all the time. Still on the factory clutch. Never an issue with the engine, clutch, or transmission.

If you rev match right, engine braking is completely fine. Especially on the Camaro. Everything is heavy duty and beefed up.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I have also noticed the throttle behavior in track mode is not only more linearly progressive on acceleration, but also behaves more like a mechanical TB on deceleration with much more noticeable engine braking.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
We used to say with that emissions talk and rev hang which is prevalent in other cars was as to not let the throttle snap closed suddenly would help on the emission's levels.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote