Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
I'd recommend G-Loc R8 pads, good brake fluid and stainless lines.

Enjoy!
Is that what you run on your ZLE?

Never ran G locks, but had tried XP10s on my 17 and they felt very similar to stockers, yet didnt last as long (the fronts were done completely after 4 days).
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Wow! You went from 100% to 0 oil life in 4.5 track days?

To clarify, i calc an average "track day" as 4x30min sessions.

If i run 7x30mins each day on a weekend, that would be 3.5 "track days" in total (for calc purposes).
Yes. Something like that. Typically 120-140 miles on track per day. When I changed the oil again after day five, it had a total of 700 miles on it.

They used to call for changing oil after 4 hours on track, but I can’t find that any more. I guess they decided the algorithm used by the indicator was adequate.

The owners manual does call for changing transmission oil every 15 hours, and differential oil every 24 hours. Use the car hard, need to maintain it hard. I just changed all of my fluids again....
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Yes. Something like that. Typically 120-140 miles on track per day. When I changed the oil again after day five, it had a total of 700 miles on it.

They used to call for changing oil after 4 hours on track, but I can’t find that any more. I guess they decided the algorithm used by the indicator was adequate.

The owners manual does call for changing transmission oil every 15 hours, and differential oil every 24 hours. Use the car hard, need to maintain it hard. I just changed all of my fluids again....
Words of wisdom

NB i believe the 4hr interval is still there for a V6 motor.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #18
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Is that what you run on your ZLE?

Never ran G locks, but had tried XP10s on my 17 and they felt very similar to stockers, yet didnt last as long (the fronts were done completely after 4 days).
Yeah, G-Loc & Carbotech are same 'family'. XP10's are a good pad, would be same as R10 for G-Loc. The R8 is a step above OEM pad, easy on the rotors and more brake torque. My pads wore really really well, but I guess that could all be track dependent.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 08-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
Yeah, G-Loc & Carbotech are same 'family'. XP10's are a good pad, would be same as R10 for G-Loc. The R8 is a step above OEM pad, easy on the rotors and more brake torque. My pads wore really really well, but I guess that could all be track dependent.

Best regards,
Dave
I was aware that Gloc was an offshoot from Carbotech, but wasnt sure if the pads were the same composition compound wise. Interesting to read your feedback, as i thought XP10s didnt offer much over stock Ferodos, so id expect a pad like XP8 or R8 to offer even less of a difference. Having said that, i only ran a single set of the Carbotechs, as i wasnt happy with their longevity.
But, it is always good to have other perspectives.
I may try Ferodo 2500s at some point, they actually seem a bit cheaper from Strano. Cheers!
Old 09-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #20
cbourbs

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Anybody know how many track days a clutch will last in a ZLE?
cbourbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourbs View Post
Anybody know how many track days a clutch will last in a ZLE?
Well, it is warrantied for 5 yrs, or 100k incl track use, under driveline warranty.
Havent heard of any clutch issues per se on gen6.
Did about 60 days on my previous SS 1LE with zero mechanical issues from any components. Cheers!
Old 09-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I was aware that Gloc was an offshoot from Carbotech, but wasnt sure if the pads were the same composition compound wise. Interesting to read your feedback, as i thought XP10s didnt offer much over stock Ferodos, so id expect a pad like XP8 or R8 to offer even less of a difference. Having said that, i only ran a single set of the Carbotechs, as i wasnt happy with their longevity.
I don't remember if you ever mentioned which Carbotechs, but from your longevity comment I suspect they were XP12's. I noticed that 12's did not last as long as 10's despite having higher temperature capability. Something like 4 days vs 6.

I'm a little uneasy about XP8's for track duty on cars that weigh this much . . . I managed to put a lot of thermal cracks in a set of 8's while they'd still pass tech at 50% of original friction thickness.

Norm
Old 09-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #23
cbourbs

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Well, it is warrantied for 5 yrs, or 100k incl track use, under driveline warranty.
Havent heard of any clutch issues per se on gen6.
Did about 60 days on my previous SS 1LE with zero mechanical issues from any components. Cheers!
Reason why I ask is because I was talking to an SS ILE owner and his clutch went after 5k of track usage.

I didn't know the clutch has warranty. I just assumed since it was a consumable that it wouldn't be.
cbourbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #24
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I don't remember if you ever mentioned which Carbotechs, but from your longevity comment I suspect they were XP12's. I noticed that 12's did not last as long as 10's despite having higher temperature capability. Something like 4 days vs 6.

I'm a little uneasy about XP8's for track duty on cars that weigh this much . . . I managed to put a lot of thermal cracks in a set of 8's while they'd still pass tech at 50% of original friction thickness.

Norm
I'll let you know how my G-Loc R8's hold up. So far, 1 event on them. I typically replace at 50% pad wear, as it is much easier on the calipers. Have to treat pad thickness like another 'coolant' for Brakes, having the additional material assists in dissipating the heat.

I choose 8's because the events I do are typically TT style, requiring a fast lap right out of the gate. On my road race cars, I've had great luck with R16 and R20's.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 09-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
Hi Norm! Yep even per Carbotech, XP12s wear out much faster. Must be the compound. My experience on my SS was with XP10, which i found surprising, given i had run that pad on my C5Z with good results before upgrading to AP Sprint kit and DSUNO pads.

I too share your concern about XP8 on a heavy car. Back in a day, i only used it as a rear pad on my C5Z as the car benefited from a staggered torque (unlike the Camaro).

All the best!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #26
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourbs View Post
Reason why I ask is because I was talking to an SS ILE owner and his clutch went after 5k of track usage.

I didn't know the clutch has warranty. I just assumed since it was a consumable that it wouldn't be.
I see...Perhaps that driver was super hard on the clutch?
Who knows. Mine has held up very well, with zero signs of any issues.

I would not consider a clutch to be a consumable at all, but rather part of a driveline system like tranny, ediff, etc.
Parts that are treated as consumables are tires, brake rotors and pads. From a budgeting pov i also treat fluids as consumables, but of course those fall under a different category altogether.

Cheers!