Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #15
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I would not recommend full throttle on apex in Track PTM Race if the grip isn't there to do so. It will over correct 90% of the time. The other 10% will make you lift and upset the balance of the car.

I drive in PTM Race and the traction control is there if you need it, but I wouldn't ham-fistedly slam the throttle on exit and hope it catches you. I apply the throttle like TC isn't there and a smooth throttle application will avoid TC intervention.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #16
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
what badmojo said....Personally think PTM is a miracle and a potential curse. On one hand it (TC, ESC, etc.) saves many a weekend driver from poor corner entry and throttle over steer on corner exit making you think you are Randy Pobst the apex king. Assuming you don't overcome physics on corner entry, at exit your right foot asks for too much power and PTM says the car is loaded (all grip is in use), steering wheel (angle) is not unwinding at the same rate so less grip and less power for you. Your unconscious reaction is to ask for more power. Unrecognized, I believe this can create bad habits, training you to have a heavy right foot on corner exit trying to overcome the bog. As a non-racer weekend driver, I have found that when I can drive a track smoothly in Dry or Sport 1 and minimize the bog (nanny indicator on the video) on track out on every corner, I am ready for Sport 2 and so on. The curse comes into play when in PTM, you apex a bit early or hot, start to unwind the steering wheel, your right foot is mashing the throttle, PTM says looking good and allows power to come on quick and you pinch the wheel (load the car laterraly) to make the corner. PTM won't clip and you better have really fast hands......Have seen more Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs wad it up on corner exit due to overcooking the turn, car is loaded, and power overseer at exit ..... That's why I keep a big piece of blue painters tape on the steering wheel @ 12 oclock. To remind me to focus on unwinding the wheel and and apply progressive gentle throttle,,, and with 650 torque,,,, the blue tape better be close to center just as my foot hits the floor..... Just my thoughts...

and "pedaling a car with oversteer in a straight line is bit different than exiting a turn at 70mph with 60 degrees of input and hammering the throttle. Ymmv.

Good review here albeit on corvette platform earlier but illustrates how good the system is if you are smooth.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-how-it-works/

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 09-21-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: ...
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote