Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Will this work? welding cat into header

So right now I have Dynatech LT's with no cats and they have the extension pipes that's part of the hearder so it just connects to stock catback. Well I have a set of JBA's that I would like to cut to make it just the cat and then also cut the extension off the header and weld in the cat.
Now does that sound crazy and stupid or should it be fine?
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Cali_Camaro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
DJ A

Drives: Cammed 2010 SS
It'll work but the only problem you'll run into is if you ever wanted to take them off you would have to cut and reweld which is basically more of a hassle. What I did was buy this: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-791-09525 it bolts to the headers and you can weld to the exhaust so if you ever need to remove the headers you can easily. You might need to take them off one day, I never thought I was going to but I ended up needing to when I took off the heads and I'm sure glad I went that route.
DJ A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
Cali_Camaro_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS (BLACK)
Why would I have to cut and weld again?
If I ever need to remove the headers I'd just remove them like normal, still gonna be bolted to the catback just welded to the header
1SS: Dnyatech LT Headers | Dynamaxx CatBack | Diablo Tune | Intake | Pfatds Springs | Heritage Grill | Blacked out Bezels | Black Chevy Sign | Blacked out Wheels | Tint | HIDs w/Error code Eliminator | Green Dome/Trunk Light |

Cali_Camaro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
DJ A

Drives: Cammed 2010 SS
Oh sorry misread that, thought you said you wanted to weld the cat directly to the header. If you weld it to the extension piece then I don't see why it wouldn't work. It should be just fine.
DJ A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
It will work fine. As long as you have the skills to weld and account for the metal moving around as you weld, all will be good. Meaning the ends off the cats have to line up with the cat back when all is said and done. Only downside I see is if a cat fails then it's a do over.

Me, I'd put some ball flanges between the cats and header collectors and band clamp them on. A lot more work that way though. This would ensure alignment to the catback also.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote