Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
out4lox

Drives: Blue Velvet 2SS, 8A, No Options
Apparent Systemic Electrical Problems

I currently own a 2016 Camaro 2SS, Automatic, with under 34,000 miles. I bought it in late '16. I've always loved Camaros, and this is my fourth. They've all been V8's, and I loved all the ones PRIOR TO MY '16 SS. I've had, prior to my '16 SS, 2 Z28's (1986 and 1998) and a 70's V8 Berlinetta (I think).

Anyway, I've had the following issues with the '16 SS, which I believe are related and, for lack of a better word, systemic:

1. The apparently common "slow start" issue. I had the battery replaced under warranty, but the problem persists. I've read there is a class action lawsuit involving all Camaros from 2010 on, that has to do with heat shielding around the starter causing problems; I read that the lawsuit alleges GM knew and knows about it. It is easy to google.
2. Infotainment screen failure.
3. Coolant temp sensor failure, intermittent then fatal.
4. Thermostat failure.
4. Intermittent failures with Radio -- freezes up.
5. Remote gate opener glitch/failure, so far intermittent.
6. Windshield washer pump failure.

As you can imagine, the car has been left at the dealer on several occasions, overnight and longer. I've incurred rental expenses.

I suppose I should note here that the above list doesn't constitute an exhaustive list. The black paint quickly came off all four Brembo brake calipers, and I've had issues relating to the recall on the car's 8 speed automatic, since replaced by GM. And an apparently incurable squeak/rattle issue in the driver side door, no big deal.

In any event, nothing is perfect. I certainly can live with the paint issue, and suck it up on the squeak/rattle. BUT I'm extremely and increasingly concerned here with these vexing, serial, and so far UNENDING electrical problems to disparate areas of this poor car, which I always wanted to love.

So, I'm anxiously asking whether any other folks here have had similar, or other multiple electrical failures and issues -- and if they had, to please describe them in reply.

Incidentally, the dealer's second service writer with whom I've dealt, says these issues aren't especially remarkable, nor are they related in his opinion, and, that this doesn't constitute anywhere close to me having a "lemon"! (LOL, I guess it has to be REALLY bad.)

Thanks in advance for any info on any similar experiences any of you might have endured.
out4lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
First of all, sorry to hear about your issues, I know these can be pretty annoying. Not sure what mileage your problems began appearing at, but I've had none of these or even anything similar on my 2018 2SS at 10k miles.

I'm afraid everything you listed except the starter heat soak problem and the A8 shudder are first model year and/or early component (thremostat, temp sensor, coolant sensor, washer pump) and software version (radio, homelink, infotainment screen) symptoms. Did the dealership regularly update your system and infotainment software to the latest version?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 12-01-2020 at 08:58 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
out4lox

thanks for the Reply

thank you @arpad. i don't know if the dealer updated any software. but i will ask, and appreciate your reply.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
I think its time for a BCM and new Starter.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
out4lox

interesting. the service writer said "no" to the bcm. i researched and asked him. thank you for your reply.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:10 AM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by out4lox View Post
I currently own a 2016 Camaro 2SS, Automatic, with under 34,000 miles. I bought it in late '16. I've always loved Camaros, and this is my fourth. They've all been V8's, and I loved all the ones PRIOR TO MY '16 SS. I've had, prior to my '16 SS, 2 Z28's (1986 and 1998) and a 70's V8 Berlinetta (I think).

Anyway, I've had the following issues with the '16 SS, which I believe are related and, for lack of a better word, systemic:

1. The apparently common "slow start" issue. I had the battery replaced under warranty, but the problem persists. I've read there is a class action lawsuit involving all Camaros from 2010 on, that has to do with heat shielding around the starter causing problems; I read that the lawsuit alleges GM knew and knows about it. It is easy to google.
2. Infotainment screen failure.
3. Coolant temp sensor failure, intermittent then fatal.
4. Thermostat failure.
4. Intermittent failures with Radio -- freezes up.
5. Remote gate opener glitch/failure, so far intermittent.
6. Windshield washer pump failure.

As you can imagine, the car has been left at the dealer on several occasions, overnight and longer. I've incurred rental expenses.

I suppose I should note here that the above list doesn't constitute an exhaustive list. The black paint quickly came off all four Brembo brake calipers, and I've had issues relating to the recall on the car's 8 speed automatic, since replaced by GM. And an apparently incurable squeak/rattle issue in the driver side door, no big deal.

In any event, nothing is perfect. I certainly can live with the paint issue, and suck it up on the squeak/rattle. BUT I'm extremely and increasingly concerned here with these vexing, serial, and so far UNENDING electrical problems to disparate areas of this poor car, which I always wanted to love.

So, I'm anxiously asking whether any other folks here have had similar, or other multiple electrical failures and issues -- and if they had, to please describe them in reply.

Incidentally, the dealer's second service writer with whom I've dealt, says these issues aren't especially remarkable, nor are they related in his opinion, and, that this doesn't constitute anywhere close to me having a "lemon"! (LOL, I guess it has to be REALLY bad.)

Thanks in advance for any info on any similar experiences any of you might have endured.

I have #1 and have had #6.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, issues, problems