Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Holy crap, hope Sam is alright! Thanks for posting the news. That must have been something completely catastrophic, or a major driver error? Just speculating of course. Would be good to find out for sure...
As one famous driver once said: "after a 3rd roll i completely lost control". Or something to this effect...
Yeah... I didn't want to say anything about it because it's not my issue to say much about, especially since he has expressed that he doesn't want, at this time, to be too public on the potential issue - only that, if you've had your car go to zero-pedal (not faded for a corner or something, actually ZERO pedal...to the floor) to contact him directly. The only thing he's mentioned is that he believes, as JA105 said, is some kind of out-right brake failure. There's a lot of 1LE's out there running around the track without issue and I've personally had my car at the same track he had an issue, with my car pretty stock... It seems like a very rare issue and possibly related to newer-model cars (that is my opinion based on the 2017-2019 cars out there with no report of issue).

He seems to be OK and in fairly good spirits!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Yeah... I didn't want to say anything about it because it's not my issue to say much about, especially since he has expressed that he doesn't want, at this time, to be too public on the potential issue - only that, if you've had your car go to zero-pedal (not faded for a corner or something, actually ZERO pedal...to the floor) to contact him directly. The only thing he's mentioned is that he believes, as JA105 said, is some kind of out-right brake failure. There's a lot of 1LE's out there running around the track without issue and I've personally had my car at the same track he had an issue, with my car pretty stock... It seems like a very rare issue and possibly related to newer-model cars (that is my opinion based on the 2017-2019 cars out there with no report of issue).

Thanks for the post. Zero pedal would suggest a sudden master cylinder failure. Something i had experienced a long time ago all of a sudden while on a hiway. Not fun for sure. Any knowledge of other 2020s experiencing anything similar?! Any hints as to why would Sam wish folks to call him directly on this? Is there more to the story? Wink once if no twice if yes

Very interested as i am considering refreshing to a 2020 model this year...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #17
TrackClub

I did a quick search and it appears some folks have indeed reported brake failures. So this may not be limited to 2020my. Albeit some symptoms vary, some suggest soft pedal, or no pedal. I think it is worth talking about it as a community as many of us here track the cars. Too bad Sam wont chime in here directly.
If someone is aware of such serious issue that's what the forums are for imo. To share and educate.

Anyhow, i will try calling Sam, but will also do a post asking if others have experienced issues recently.

Fyi this is a thread that came up on my search:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459802
Old 06-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #18
Mountain

Quote:
I did a quick search and it appears some folks have indeed reported brake failures. So this may not be limited to 2020my. Albeit some symptoms vary, some suggest soft pedal, or no pedal. I think it is worth talking about it as a community as many of us here track the cars. Too bad Sam wont chime in here directly.
If someone is aware of such serious issue that's what the forums are for imo. To share and educate.

Anyhow, i will try calling Sam, but will also do a post asking if others have experienced issues recently.

Fyi this is a thread that came up on my search:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459802
It may be something worth starting a new thread on.... The last I say is that it was a reported ZERO (0), pedal to the floor issue. Not fade, not spongy pedal. ZERO force.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
It may be something worth starting a new thread on.... The last I say is that it was a reported ZERO (0), pedal to the floor issue. Not fade, not spongy pedal. ZERO force.
I did start a thread in the 1LE section. Maybe this section would be better? Not sure.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #20
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
So, no more rattling after i tightened the endlinks and I'm up to 2 events on the bushings with stock brackets. Will continue to keep track.

Quote:

doesn't want to be too public - posts on Facebook. Like the girls who tell everyone to stay out of their relationship business but they air all their dirty laundry on FB hahahahahaha
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
So, no more rattling after i tightened the endlinks and I'm up to 2 events on the bushings with stock brackets. Will continue to keep track.

doesn't want to be too public - posts on Facebook. Like the girls who tell everyone to stay out of their relationship business but they air all their dirty laundry on FB hahahahahaha
1. Glad the chatter is gone and fingers crossed for ya!
2. Exactly
Old 06-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #22
Mountain

I think it more comes from a perspective of what he thinks vs what really happened and how all that may tie into track warranty coverage, GM and misleading people.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #23
TrackClub

Quote:
I think it more comes from a perspective of what he thinks vs what really happened and how all that may tie into track warranty coverage, GM and misleading people.
Agree. One thing that doesnt add up for me is a wheel coming off and taking a brake line with it. But it is unfair to draw conclusions or assumptions in such cases not being privy to details.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #24
1LE76G

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Agree. One thing that doesnt add up for me is a wheel coming off and taking a brake line with it. But it is unfair to draw conclusions or assumptions in such cases not being privy to details.
The wheel came off because the car dug in and flipped.
1LE76G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE76G View Post
The wheel came off because the car dug in and flipped.
It is unclear when the wheel came off or why.
It could have been due to Sam colliding with the other car. Or not.

Is is also unlear whether just the wheel came off, or the whole LF hub assembly. One way or another the LF brake line seemed to have been damaged and hence its state during a loss of brakes cannot be verified. That's how i read it anyway.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:39 AM   #26
1LE76G

Quote:
It is unclear when the wheel came off or why.
It could have been due to Sam colliding with the other car. Or not.

Is is also unlear whether just the wheel came off, or the whole LF hub assembly. One way or another the LF brake line seemed to have been damaged and hence its state during a loss of brakes cannot be verified. That's how i read it anyway.
By looking at it, definitely looks like it came off during the flip. Wheel is an oval now and it took the whole LF assembly with it including the strut.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #27
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE76G View Post
By looking at it, definitely looks like it came off during the flip. Wheel is an oval now and it took the whole LF assembly with it including the strut.
That would explain it. Have you seen pix of it?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #28
1LE76G

Quote:
That would explain it. Have you seen pix of it?
Yeah he has a pic of it on one of his Facebook posts. Was trying to decide if it would be kosher or not if I posted it on here