Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #29
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
yes it voids the warranty and I doubt the dealer will do it for you. They will probably look at you like if you were nuts as if its not in the gm performance catalog they have no idea it exists and it cant be done.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #30
Mrpilotman321

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
yes it voids the warranty and I doubt the dealer will do it for you. They will probably look at you like if you were nuts as if its not in the gm performance catalog they have no idea it exists and it cant be done.
Thanks! I may end up doing down the line
Mrpilotman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #31
JCunningham

i should say drivetrain warranty not bumper to bumper 3yr 36k
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #32
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
why do people think this car is a gas guzzler. it gets amazing gas mileage. you have 460hp and it gets up to 27mpg 20 on average. 17mpg on E85 that's phenomenal. thanks for this write up. I hope to be getting my car tuned soon. Just did all the mods in my sig. now if the car reads 40% i know I didnt seat it right. I just put the pin in and tried to some what lightly pull it out. it stayed in place. Thanks
My wife's Dart has 160hp (I think) and averages 26-27mpg. Losing 30% gas mileage and gaining almost 3x the power is pretty impressive.

20mpg and a low 12 second 1/4 is EXTREMELY impressive. Almost no other manufacture can achieve this.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #33
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
I just installed the E85 unit and the white wire. I have also installed the aeroforce gauge and it is reading the alcohol at 0 percent. Can you read the percent without a tune or do I have to turn it on in the ecu before I can even read the alcohol percent? Next is the wideband... that should be fun....

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 PM   #34
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick View Post
Until the tune the signal from the sensor is ignored by the pcm so it won't read.
Thanks Jwdominick that is what I thought ...

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #35
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE
So my question is, is it worth it to buy HP Tuners outright or just take it in for tunes? Im a really DIY guy and want to learn how to tune the car. I did the same with overclocking my pc and while I understand they are not the same, it isnt very easy to keep a 5930k stable at 4.7ghz on 1.35v. Same with my old 980ti and 1080ti. I am just really scared on putting in a tune from the forums and something breaking. Also will the price for a custom tune be the same or is a HP Tuners credit price reduced from the price of a custom dyno tune? Im not really sure how this whole credits thing works. Will I use a credit tuning it myself in my garage? Very confusing system. Plus wth is the NGauge? Is it just a HP Tuners thing built into a gauge? Does that need credits aswell? Does the pro vs normal? Jesus their website doesnt explain sh*t....
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #36
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyskill View Post
I just installed the E85 unit and the white wire. I have also installed the aeroforce gauge and it is reading the alcohol at 0 percent. Can you read the percent without a tune or do I have to turn it on in the ecu before I can even read the alcohol percent? Next is the wideband... that should be fun....
you have to turn the sensor on in the PCM...it's set to virtual by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATTEMUNK View Post
So my question is, is it worth it to buy HP Tuners outright or just take it in for tunes? Im a really DIY guy and want to learn how to tune the car. I did the same with overclocking my pc and while I understand they are not the same, it isnt very easy to keep a 5930k stable at 4.7ghz on 1.35v. Same with my old 980ti and 1080ti. I am just really scared on putting in a tune from the forums and something breaking. Also will the price for a custom tune be the same or is a HP Tuners credit price reduced from the price of a custom dyno tune? Im not really sure how this whole credits thing works. Will I use a credit tuning it myself in my garage? Very confusing system. Plus wth is the NGauge? Is it just a HP Tuners thing built into a gauge? Does that need credits aswell? Does the pro vs normal? Jesus their website doesnt explain sh*t....
HP tuners is worth it's weight in gold. I have tuned several vehicles with it...love it! The A8 transmission is sooooo much better with a proper tune. It gets a lot of bad press and that is all due to GM's crappy tuning...it really hinders the driving experience that everybody should be experiencing with the A8.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #37
JCunningham

well i dont do my own tuning but heres what I know about it. The HP pro cost $500 and come with 8 credits. I believe that's enough to tune 2 cars if manual. Then you would need a wideband o2 to add to it and those are $300 i believe. so you will have $800 into it and have to learn how to use it or you can pay $450 for a dyno tune by a pro and $150 for retunes.
You dont have to use a wide band but to get the best dialed in tune you will. Dyno tuners use wide bands. If you dont want to use a wide band you might as well get a emailed tune and tuner for $400 with free retunes.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #38
FATTEMUNK

Quote:
well i dont do my own tuning but heres what I know about it. The HP pro cost $500 and come with 8 credits. I believe that's enough to tune 2 cars if manual. Then you would need a wideband o2 to add to it and those are $300 i believe. so you will have $800 into it and have to learn how to use it or you can pay $450 for a dyno tune by a pro and $150 for retunes.
You dont have to use a wide band but to get the best dialed in tune you will. Dyno tuners use wide bands. If you dont want to use a wide band you might as well get a emailed tune and tuner for $400 with free retunes.
Hmmm since I'm going to get a 1LE its a manual so no credits needed for the trans. The 8 credits how far will that get me? Every time I get a tune that is a few credits right? Also I did not know that retunes are less. Like if I get a tune for E85, and bolt ons and later add a supercharger the tune is less? Or is a completely new tune so ~$450 again? Yeah I think Ill be getting the AEM wideband or can the NGauge do it aswell? An emailed tunes get free retunes? Damn who is offering that!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #39
FATTEMUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
you have to turn the sensor on in the PCM...it's set to virtual by default.

HP tuners is worth it's weight in gold. I have tuned several vehicles with it...love it! The A8 transmission is sooooo much better with a proper tune. It gets a lot of bad press and that is all due to GM's crappy tuning...it really hinders the driving experience that everybody should be experiencing with the A8.
Yeah I think that Ill be still getting a 1LE. Even though it will be my DD, the A8 I test drove was not nearly as smooth as the autos I am used to in Lexus and Merc.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #40
FATTEMUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdominick View Post
I'd go a step further and say while I am not a tuner. I have both efi live and hptuners. I have dabbled with both for years. As well as a few other import platforms. Each is different. One common thing is However the new lt platform is a different beast for tuning. The tables are different and torque based and all tied together. The same tricks that worked on ls stuff does work here and it's a more complex system to learn. Not something I'd personally suggest a novice to dabble with without much guidance.
I've seen some videos of the tables and yeah doesnt look like something I would just dive into without some guidance. Doesn't HPTuners offer classes or something online to learn how to tune? But if I remember they were quite expensive so might as well get a custom tune to save me the time and trouble.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #41
JCunningham

most of the email tune guys offer free retunes. The credits are to tune a Vin. no limits on how many times you retune it. Thats why the dyno tuners charge less for retunes.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:48 AM   #42
FATTEMUNK

Quote:
most of the email tune guys offer free retunes. The credits are to tune a Vin. no limits on how many times you retune it. Thats why the dyno tuners charge less for retunes.
Which one would you recommend? My thinking is that a dyno tune will be more comprehensive than a emailed tune, but there aren't many shops in my area skilled in the Gen V. For an emailed tune do they send me a preliminary tune and then I do some logs driving around and then they correct or is it one and done for any altitude etc? Sorry for asking so many questions, just want whats best for my car lol.