Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-10-2022, 01:16 AM   #15
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Atlanta View Post
There really isn’t just one, or even a few, for this platform. If we put up a poll with 10 or so you might start seeing some trends toward the larger, more well known shops.

You mentioned some good choices. I’m a 10 year Vengeance customer across two cars and will naturally recommend them first. I know Roy from Wragth Motorsports and Ryne from BRC. Both are great guys and Ryne is a solid tuner.
Oh ok, yes I've heard of Ryne and I think actually spoken with him before. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that he was at BRC. I'll check in with them for sure
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:08 AM   #16
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
The enthusiast that does the work out of his garage and takes his time to make sure everything is perfect.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #17
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Was just thinking about this, because in the RS3/TTRS community, IROZ motorsports is the go-to for engine builds/power on that platform. There are tons of others in the game who are probably perfectly fine, too, but IROZ gets the most credit. Is there a go-to shop for ZL1s? If not, who are among the best?

LME https://latemodelengines.com/
Old 08-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #18
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
LME is just an engine shop. They don’t build cars.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Isn't Ryne over at LMR now? Maybe I'm thinking of another guy...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #20
ZL1Atlanta

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Isn't Ryne over at LMR now? Maybe I'm thinking of another guy...
No, he’s still doing BRC and remote tunes.

Built by Vengeance Racing, tuned by Elite Tuned
ZL1Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #21
Raisin Man

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin Man View Post
Only 2-3 of the aforementioned shops provide modified GM engines to customers racing in events sanctioned by Trans Am or IMSA - because these same customers want to win races. You know who they are. Experience is key. I think engine builds from a shop that has customers that race often - with success - make the most sense. Better durability. Fewer f— up’s.

A final comment. Many times, at HPDE’s, we often find Bolt-on Boys in the run-off areas or the paddock after going no more than a few hot laps until oil and coolant temperatures start spiking and the cars are overheating and puking coolant.

For present purposes, I’m defining Bolt-on Boys as guys running GM or Ford V8’s, and who buy and install aftermarket superchargers (and larger pulleys) and / or throttle bodies and / or headers and /or cams and / or tunes, but frequently don’t appreciate the unintended consequences of installing these aftermarket bolt-on’s.

It takes talent and experience to know what aftermarket components work together reliably – and where they don’t. Unfortunately, a lot of aftermarket manufacturers gloss-over (or just don’t know) important details which the better, more reputable engine builders understand.

If you're just going to the ice cream store, obviously some of these issues are less critical. Otherwise, it pays to do your homework and work with experienced people who sweat the details.
Raisin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #22
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin Man View Post
A final comment. Many times, at HPDE’s, we often find Bolt-on Boys in the run-off areas or the paddock after going no more than a few hot laps until oil and coolant temperatures start spiking and the cars are overheating and puking coolant.

For present purposes, I’m defining Bolt-on Boys as guys running GM or Ford V8’s, and who buy and install aftermarket superchargers (and larger pulleys) and / or throttle bodies and / or headers and /or cams and / or tunes, but frequently don’t appreciate the unintended consequences of installing these aftermarket bolt-on’s.

It takes talent and experience to know what aftermarket components work together reliably – and where they don’t. Unfortunately, a lot of aftermarket manufacturers gloss-over (or just don’t know) important details which the better, more reputable engine builders understand.

If you're just going to the ice cream store, obviously some of these issues are less critical. Otherwise, it pays to do your homework and work with experienced people who sweat the details.
FWIW, I track my car and I don’t see any “bolt on boys” as you call it in the run off or in the paddock with car trouble. In fact I see plenty of cars (most) that are wrenched in garages running just fine. I applaud them for their efforts and for enjoying their platform. I see just as many shop wrenched cars with issues.

If you want to pay someone to do simple wrenching, that’s your prerogative but I wouldn’t disparage those that take pride and satisfaction from doing it themselves.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #23
ZL1Atlanta

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
FWIW, I track my car and I don’t see any “bolt on boys” as you call it in the run off or in the paddock with car trouble. In fact I see plenty of cars (most) that are wrenched in garages running just fine. I applaud them for their efforts and for enjoying their platform. I see just as many shop wrenched cars with issues.

If you want to pay someone to do simple wrenching, that’s your prerogative but I wouldn’t disparage those that take pride and satisfaction from doing it themselves.
Maybe he meant larger crank pulley which would increase boost. Just giving the benefit of the doubt.

Different shops specialize in building cars for different uses. The best for building HPDE or road race cars might not be the best for drag or 1/2 mile racing and vice versa. Some have examples of doing both, but not many.

Built by Vengeance Racing, tuned by Elite Tuned
ZL1Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #24
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Atlanta View Post
Maybe he meant larger crank pulley which would increase boost. Just giving the benefit of the doubt.

Different shops specialize in building cars for different uses. The best for building HPDE or road race cars might not be the best for drag or 1/2 mile racing and vice versa. Some have examples of doing both, but not many.
Yeah I edited it.

I’m just saying a shop built car can have just as many issues (I’ve seen it many many times) and someone who does their own wrenching can build just a good of a build as anyone else.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #25
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Although I doubt they would help with our cars, I would think that GT4 teams and cars at the top of NHRA ZL1 stock classes (A or B stock maybe?) probably know the most about ZL1 cars.

https://www.imsa.com/racing-teams/re...-racing-no-71/
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #26
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Although I doubt they would help with our cars, I would think that GT4 teams and cars at the top of NHRA ZL1 stock classes (A or B stock maybe?) probably know the most about ZL1 cars.

https://www.imsa.com/racing-teams/re...-racing-no-71/
Oh boy oh boy would I love to have a GT4.r sitting at home.

Maybe one day....... who knows....
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #27
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
LME is just an engine shop. They don’t build cars.

Understood. OP specifically said "engine builds".
Old 08-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #28
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Understood. OP specifically said "engine builds".
He’s looking for a shop that can build engines and make more power, aka the ones listed in responses. Every single one of third shops doesn’t make/built their own engines. They usually will get a short/long block from various “engine builders”

It you just want a long/short block then yes you would buy from LME but you still need a shop or yourself to assemble/install/configure/tune.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote