#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I welcome anyone's input, but note this thread is for the benefit of sim novices in mind vs old hands

Just like I would not recommend a ZL1 1LE for a track rat novice, i would not recommend anyone spends over the minimum required to see if they like the hobby.
And if they get hooked, my choices will give them more than required to enjoy the sim very competitively for at least 4-5 yrs.

That's why i would not recommend a Direct Drive wheel base to anyone that hasnt tried a sim before. Number one, they are not really plug and play and if one has never tried a sim they don't know what a good wheel should feel like, secondly albeit they've come down in prices, they are still the MOST expensive choices. The cheapest Simucube is not really $1k
It is $1299, plus a mounting flange, plus a steering wheel adapter, making it a circa $1500 purchase. Plus a steering wheel and pedals. But, if somebody has a fat wallet and patience of hunting set ups on forums: why not!

I kinda scratched my head, when you called my choice of a $549 Fanatec wheel base choice "expensive", then revealed you got $10k in your rig

I also and completely disagree that Fanatec gear is "cheap parts". Ive had mine for 5 yrs, use it virtually daily (in winter only mind you) and have had zero issues. For the relatively little more $ it is worth every penny over whatever else is available in this price range (ie non Direct Drive tech).
I not only know sim world Champions that use Fanatec wheel bases (in one case 10 yrs old), but also many RL pro drivers use them (Indycar, Nascar, Imsa, etc).
But, i admit, anyone can get unlucky with any gear and get a dud.

Anyhow, I've been on iRacing for 9 yrs running now.
Have managed an ok resume, including 72 race wins, 90 poles, numerous overall TT series championships and 23 new TT world records in different cars. Like i said, i started on a most basic Logitech gear and that didnt prevent me from being competitive in my splits back then.

You could most certainly add value by giving some detailed specs and pix of your rig, which obviously seems very advanced. More info the better! Let's just not push a ZL1 1LE to a complete novice And let's remember that even some old track rats may still prefer an SS 1LE anyway

All the best and cheers!
I'll post once more and then I'll leave it alone. I just disagree with you on some of your opinions.

Recommending a G923 for $500 is just not sound advice, it's the exact same technology(just with more buttons) from the year 2006 (G25) when it cost under $200. Same with thrustmaster, for those prices their money is better spent elsewhere (COVID has made sim racing very popular and hardware prices have went through the roof). Spend a little bit more and get a wheel that will probably last your entire sim racing career vs a wheel that will most likely expire in 5 years, or less with heavy use. You can buy an entire Accuforce setup with a wheel for $1000 or a Simagic for $1000 with a wheel. Yes, you'll still need pedals but now you won't need to replace the wheel somewhere down the road (like you will inevitably with the overpriced Logitech and Thurstmaster gear). And the force feedback you'll get is worth the price of admission.

On the Fanatec stuff, I just disagree. I've owned them, every single piece of Fanatec gear I've bought has failed. Their service can be very difficult to deal with and there is better gear out there for very close to the same cost and it's bullet proof. You yourself said the price is about $700-800, with direct drive setups right around $1000 (not $1500) it's a better idea to make the jump.

You're one of the very few that has had no Fanatec issues with gear over your 5 years of use. Do a search on the iracing forums and you'll see countless threads about their gear failing, service issues, warranty coverage, etc. The wheel really doesn't make you faster, just better feedback and a better overall seat experience.

I also highly disagree with buying a PC from a big box store. Better to buy from a trusted small builder or build DIY. The big box stores sell inferior MB's, memory and power supplies and other components. The cost to build yourself (if you have the ability) is negligible and you know what you are getting.

Here's a pic of my setup just to add to your examples. Yes my rig is probably about $10k but it took me 6-7 years before I got into some really good gear. I started out on a wooden MDF board rig with a triple screen mount, then graduated to an 80/20 aluminum profile rig. From there I went into Simx motion with the DIY seat mover, a GS4 seat and now to a GS5 seat. I run a Pimax 5k+ HMD. PC is a few years old now with an i5 7600k OC'd to 5.1ghz and a RTX 2080. May build a new Ryzen at some point.

Anyway, I'll bow out now. I just wanted to put a different view point out there when we're talking about members spending $k's on video games...errr simulators
Attached Images

Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #16
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Nice write-up.

I may have missed it, but can you just run tracks in cars you want without getting into the whole competitive side of it?

My purpose for this would be primarily to better learn RA in a ZL1 so I can learn more about the track, & be as prepared as possible without actual real world experience in case I ever go.

Already have a decent gaming PC for myself & my kid’s is even better, so all I would need is the car side of it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #17
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thanks, I got the Logitech setup a few months ago but haven't found the time to get going yet... I'm lucky to be very busy with work! Price was <$300 on Amazon as well.

The local SCCA chapter has a sim racing league too, so that's one thing to check out, you can often sim race with folks you AutoX and/or track with IRL.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #18
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Nice write-up.

I may have missed it, but can you just run tracks in cars you want without getting into the whole competitive side of it?

My purpose for this would be primarily to better learn RA in a ZL1 so I can learn more about the track, & be as prepared as possible without actual real world experience in case I ever go.

Already have a decent gaming PC for myself & my kid’s is even better, so all I would need is the car side of it.
Yes, absolutely! You go to a test session, pick your weather (if you want to adjust it from default) and go!
The question here would be a car type and depending on the choice: set up for a given venue like RA for example.
Imo an AMG GT3 is likely the closest to a Camaro feel wise (vs mid engine, prototype, or other slower cars).
VRS (mentioned in my OP for an excellent source of car set ups per venue) would be a good choice to offer one a set up requiring minimal adjustments, if any (to save time). Caddy race car, which is a fixed set up, would come a close second.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Thanks, I got the Logitech setup a few months ago but haven't found the time to get going yet... I'm lucky to be very busy with work! Price was <$300 on Amazon as well.

The local SCCA chapter has a sim racing league too, so that's one thing to check out, you can often sim race with folks you AutoX and/or track with IRL.
That's one of the issues for many of us: time. Time to set up, time to tune, time to enjoy. That's why i prefer a combo of solid, but easy to set up and live with rigs.
But, that's just my personal preference. Hope you'll get to enjoy it soon! Cheers!
Old 11-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #20
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
I'll post once more and then I'll leave it alone. I just disagree with you on some of your opinions.

Recommending a G923 for $500 is just not sound advice, it's the exact same technology(just with more buttons) from the year 2006 (G25) when it cost under $200. Same with thrustmaster, for those prices their money is better spent elsewhere (COVID has made sim racing very popular and hardware prices have went through the roof). Spend a little bit more and get a wheel that will probably last your entire sim racing career vs a wheel that will most likely expire in 5 years, or less with heavy use. You can buy an entire Accuforce setup with a wheel for $1000 or a Simagic for $1000 with a wheel. Yes, you'll still need pedals but now you won't need to replace the wheel somewhere down the road (like you will inevitably with the overpriced Logitech and Thurstmaster gear). And the force feedback you'll get is worth the price of admission.

On the Fanatec stuff, I just disagree. I've owned them, every single piece of Fanatec gear I've bought has failed. Their service can be very difficult to deal with and there is better gear out there for very close to the same cost and it's bullet proof. You yourself said the price is about $700-800, with direct drive setups right around $1000 (not $1500) it's a better idea to make the jump.

You're one of the very few that has had no Fanatec issues with gear over your 5 years of use. Do a search on the iracing forums and you'll see countless threads about their gear failing, service issues, warranty coverage, etc. The wheel really doesn't make you faster, just better feedback and a better overall seat experience.

I also highly disagree with buying a PC from a big box store. Better to buy from a trusted small builder or build DIY. The big box stores sell inferior MB's, memory and power supplies and other components. The cost to build yourself (if you have the ability) is negligible and you know what you are getting.

Here's a pic of my setup just to add to your examples. Yes my rig is probably about $10k but it took me 6-7 years before I got into some really good gear. I started out on a wooden MDF board rig with a triple screen mount, then graduated to an 80/20 aluminum profile rig. From there I went into Simx motion with the DIY seat mover, a GS4 seat and now to a GS5 seat. I run a Pimax 5k+ HMD. PC is a few years old now with an i5 7600k OC'd to 5.1ghz and a RTX 2080. May build a new Ryzen at some point.

Anyway, I'll bow out now. I just wanted to put a different view point out there when we're talking about members spending $k's on video games...errr simulators
Very nice rig: congrats!

I must admit, you brought up some valid points regarding Accuforce price and i will update my OP accordingly to present a fuller picture. I would not consider Simagic for the same price given its roots and reviews. Note my $1500 level price was based on your previous DD choice vs the most recent ones.

I will also stick a 2020 wheel review vid to add a 3rd party view on the wheel market et al.

As far as reliability of Fanatec, we will just have to agree to disagree. Also, DD wheels are not without issues, if one reads enough blogs and forums. I disagree with a blanket statement that any DD wheel will be issue free and last forever. If that were the case they'd come with long free warranties, but they dont.

Anyhow, regardless that our view points are not exactly on the same page, i thank you for adding value here. I will adjust my OP accordingly.

Happy iRacing and cheers!
Old 11-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #21
TrackClub

Updated my OP to include a DD wheel base per the suggestion. Also added a couple of vids with 3rd party info on 2020 wheel market and 10 things to pay attention to. Ive also enhanced some of my previous statements, to ensure there is no conclusion that spending thousands is the only "proper" way to get into a sim experience. Cheers!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #22
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89

Great info. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #23
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

Great info. Thanks for posting.
Thanks!
Old 11-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #24
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yes, absolutely! You go to a test session, pick your weather (if you want to adjust it from default) and go!
The question here would be a car type and depending on the choice: set up for a given venue like RA for example.
Imo an AMG GT3 is likely the closest to a Camaro feel wise (vs mid engine, prototype, or other slower cars).
VRS (mentioned in my OP for an excellent source of car set ups per venue) would be a good choice to offer one a set up requiring minimal adjustments, if any (to save time). Caddy race car, which is a fixed set up, would come a close second.
Thank you.

It seems the SS/1LE & ZL1/ ZL1E are becoming quite popular in amateur road cross, do you think there is a time when they will have them as a car option?

I’ve been looking at the various control options out there. I’m not looking to spend a ton, given my anticipated usage, but I would like a relatively accurate representation of the experience.

I see the G923 is a gear drive & the T300 is belt driven, with slight lock to lock rotation differences. Watching some reviews I’m tempted to go the T300 route but it seems their software isn’t as inclusive. I already have Logitech keyboard & mouse so I run their program suite currently so it would integrate with what I already have.

I’m also weighing Kmeleon’s input as well.

I’m also not opposed to going VR as a possibility if it is compatible

If I decide to move forward I am pretty sure I will build my own driving rig. Man i wish I wouldn’t have sold that extra race seat a few years ago.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Thank you.

It seems the SS/1LE & ZL1/ ZL1E are becoming quite popular in amateur road cross, do you think there is a time when they will have them as a car option?

I’ve been looking at the various control options out there. I’m not looking to spend a ton, given my anticipated usage, but I would like a relatively accurate representation of the experience.

I see the G923 is a gear drive & the T300 is belt driven, with slight lock to lock rotation differences. Watching some reviews I’m tempted to go the T300 route but it seems their software isn’t as inclusive. I already have Logitech keyboard & mouse so I run their program suite currently so it would integrate with what I already have.

I’m also weighing Kmeleon’s input as well.

I’m also not opposed to going VR as a possibility if it is compatible

If I decide to move forward I am pretty sure I will build my own driving rig. Man i wish I wouldn’t have sold that extra race seat a few years ago.
Belt driven will provide for a better experience vs gear driven, so a Thrustmaster would be a good value for a complete set imo.

If Camaro ever makes it to iRacing it would likely be a GT4 class race car, to join a Turner M4 GT4.
No street cars on iRacing. Even lower powered cars are representations of their racing counterparts.

I am not a DIY guy, but my buddy constructed a fantastic rig incl his old race seat. So too bad you sold yours :(

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2020, 02:37 AM   #26
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Thanks for putting this together. I’ve pretty much decided that my next track car may be a simulator setup...
That’s funny, but on a serious note are there any simulators out there with street cars?

I’m potentially interested in a simulator but only to “practice” on tracks that I will only be going to once a year (because of travel distance) so I can learn them so that when I’m finally at the track I’m further ahead.

How would I figure out what tracks are available or if the track I’m interested in learning is available? Is there a list?
Old 11-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #27
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
That’s funny, but on a serious note are there any simulators out there with street cars?

I’m potentially interested in a simulator but only to “practice” on tracks that I will only be going to once a year (because of travel distance) so I can learn them so that when I’m finally at the track I’m further ahead.

How would I figure out what tracks are available or if the track I’m interested in learning is available? Is there a list?
Excellent question. Not all tracks are covered. Best to Google the one of interest. For example, Area 27 is on RFactor, as the designers have used the sim to design the track. Albeit the graphics are apparently just so so. But they say the dymamics are very close to reality. I do believe that some sims have production cars, check Assetocorsa sim and again Google the subject. (As there are quite a number of choices). Unfortunately i have zero experience beyond iRacing so can be of no help here.

What i can tell ya, is that being familiar with a venue on a sim (regardless of what car you drive there) is a HUGE bonus. It paid benefits for me when i visited Mid Ohio in my C5Z and was able to turn 1:38s there (Club) on my first visit (damn - that was 5 yrs ago - time flies!).

Also, dont automatically assume how you may use a sim before trying it. The dynamics are very real and provide for virtually a true parallel to reality (at least on top sims), regarding working on driver skill. With zero risk Cheers!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #28
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I was able to check off a bucket list item by driving the Nurburgring several years ago. Although I had more track experience than most of the drivers in my group, I was clearly at a disadvantage to those who had spent time on a simulator beforehand. Even the console games (which have come a long way since then) were helpful.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote