Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #1
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Video: DSC Sport Mag Ride Install and Tuning

​BeastZL1 installs and tunes a DSC magnetic ride control module V4 on Ron's 2020 Camaro ZL1. The install is straight forward, but the software is not for the novice. Following the installation, we go over some tuning basics and how to get the most out of the unit. The unit allows tuning of the magnetic ride control shocks for racing on the road course, auto cross, or drag strip. This is not a paid or sponsored video. The same principals apply to Corvette and Cadillac. This video applies to both the Camaro ZL1 without the 1LE package and the Camaro SS 1LE with the 1LE package. This is a long and technical video, so grab your popcorn and a frosty beverage. (Chapters are enabled to get to what you want to see.) DSC Sport offers a plug-and-play factory replacement controller that provides CAN-integrated Dynamic Suspension Control with unlimited tuning capability. Gathering CAN data from the vehicle in real time, DSC Sport sends a signal to each individual corner to control the damping level based on g-force, vehicle speed, brake/throttle input, and more (specific inputs vary by vehicle and package). The result is an active suspension setup that provides more grip to the tire, greater stability and ride control, and increased comfort for all driving styles and road conditions.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
So just to verify my understanding:
  1. The higher the amperage the more viscous the fluid and therefore the higher the damping, correct?
  2. Therefore, in theory, if one installed the controller with a particular overall setting and then installed stiffer springs, one could use the same table you adjusted to increase the overall "global" damping rates to compensate for the stiffer springs without changing all the transient characteristics of the calibration?
  3. Finally, based on one of the youtube comments, you could instead go to the separate tables for low, medium, and high-speed damping of compression and rebound to leave compression damping the same and adjust the low-speed rebound to compensate for the stiffer springs, right? This would probably be the way to go about compensating for stiffer springs.

If all the above is true, then right off the bat you essentially give yourself six-way adjustable dampers by installing this controller, which is pretty amazing if you understand damper adjustments. It's also way, way cheaper than good 4-way shocks.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

1. Yes, on GM products the higher the amps, the stiffer they get. (This is not universally true with other manufacturers.)
2. Yes, you can globally change the dampening in a linear or non-linear way depending on what you want.
3. Yes, you can get very precise with when you want a certain level of dampening. It has several tables with triggers to change. The benefit is that you get a high level of adjustable settings, including soft settings for street driving. You can also have separate calibrations for each of the suspension modes (tour/sport/track). You could program three different "track" modes for different tires or tracks.

You clearly understand the benefits. I am using slightly above basic tuning on the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
So just to verify my understanding:
  1. The higher the amperage the more viscous the fluid and therefore the higher the damping, correct?
  2. Therefore, in theory, if one installed the controller with a particular overall setting and then installed stiffer springs, one could use the same table you adjusted to increase the overall "global" damping rates to compensate for the stiffer springs without changing all the transient characteristics of the calibration?
  3. Finally, based on one of the youtube comments, you could instead go to the separate tables for low, medium, and high-speed damping of compression and rebound to leave compression damping the same and adjust the low-speed rebound to compensate for the stiffer springs, right? This would probably be the way to go about compensating for stiffer springs.

If all the above is true, then right off the bat you essentially give yourself six-way adjustable dampers by installing this controller, which is pretty amazing if you understand damper adjustments. It's also way, way cheaper than good 4-way shocks.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
You clearly understand the benefits. I am using slightly above basic tuning on the unit.
I autocross in Street (stock) class, so unfortunately I don't get to mess with this stuff. Maybe someday? The corollary to my questions above is, how does one find significantly stiffer springs than stock that fit in the stock locations? None of the aftermarket options I know of come close to being stiff enough to provide a real advantage over stock (yes, including YYZ), and the ZL1 1LE rates (which are stiff enough) can't retrofit because they are small-diameter coilovers in front. Got any leads on that?

The flexibility of the stock MRC dampers with the DSC controller mean that if a wide range of spring rates were available in stock diameters and free lengths, this car would be immensely flexible in its chassis tuning.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #5
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Do you have any idea what the max safe mA is for this system? I find that 1100mA is a bit too soft for my likes. I'd do an actual measurement at the damper if I had access to an appropriate data logger.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:12 PM   #6
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
This is great I might pull the trigger before I go full coilovers.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #7
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Do you have any idea what the max safe mA is for this system? I find that 1100mA is a bit too soft for my likes. I'd do an actual measurement at the damper if I had access to an appropriate data logger.

I don't know what the limit is, but when the limit is reached the shocks can overheat. I've never seen this happen with 1700 - 1750 mA.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:14 PM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

I may be selling my V3 Controller in the near future.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #9
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Great vid. I just installed my V4 about 3 weeks ago and have a full day at the track. My previous car was a zl1-1le and with the DSC, based on lap times and feel, this is a monster product. Thanks for making this video. I hope it brings to light what DSC is actually doing, and how much time and money they have invested in targeting a comparably small market compared to European brands.

I have one concern/question. You mention in the video that the default firmware/calibration in your unit did not have the latest cal from DSC based on the settings. Given you posted this only a couple days ago, should I be concerned that my cal is outdated and needs attention?

I would be super excited if you could send me your modified calibration (3 years of tweaking). It would be great to compare your settings to DSC's. Once again, thanks for posting.

My email is:

blownzl11le@gmail.com

Please send the calibration file if you're OK with it. Cheers.......Herb.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

E-mail sent.