Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 05-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
1/4 mile guys... front seat removal questions.

I am getting ready prepping to make a few 1/4 mile passes at a track rental in a week or so. I am going to remove the rf seat and of course trying to not create problems. I will be pulling the the negative bat cable off to do this, I will be removing the out board seat belt from the seat and letting that hang inside the car. I will be driving the car to and from the track 1 hr each way. I realize I will get some type of seat belt or air bag light that should go off when I reinstall seat and plug everything back in. Will I have any issues shutting off traction control and stability control at the track with a air bag light on? Any issues at all that anyone knows regarding doing this? Also a unrelated tire/TPMS question, I will be running a rear drag pak without tpms sensors, I will be driving to the track with these on the car and I know eventually I will get 2 lines where tire pressure is displayed for the two rear tires and a tpms light. Are there any known issues with that set up like difficulties shutting off traction control or stability control? or speed reductions.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Nope no issues. Jorge from JLS youtube channel ran 10s in a stock ZL1 a10 with the passenger seat removed and a drag pack tire setup.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:41 AM   #3
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
TPMS missing will show up after around 20 miles with a warning light. With mine, after driving to the track with DRs that lacked TPMS, could still turn T/C off at the track despite the warning light.

Pulling the passenger seat out throws an airbag light, but should not change T/C behavior. I've done that, ie removing the seat in the pits, then making some runs, then reinstalling the seat for the ride home.

Just an extra suggestion, bring an SFI 3.2A/1 racing jacket with you, in case you dip under 11.50 secs.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:20 AM   #4
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post

Just an extra suggestion, bring an SFI 3.2A/1 racing jacket with you, in case you dip under 11.50 secs.
Sorry for potential thread hijack... what tracks require that? I am planning on running sub 11.5 next time out at WWT in STL... thought all i needed to worry about was a helmet until i get to 9.5.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
Sorry for potential thread hijack... what tracks require that? I am planning on running sub 11.5 next time out at WWT in STL... thought all i needed to worry about was a helmet until i get to 9.5.
NHRA rules definitely require it for under 11.5 sec, OR if you add a supercharger/turbocharger. Power adder means et does not matter, if you added one, you're supposed to wear the SFI jacket. Obviously, enforcement of the rule can vary from track to track or official to official. Here, I have seen the tech guys having a pow wow over a supercharged Coyote before, and asked the driver after what happened. He did not have a jacket, so they did not want to pass him, until he borrowed one. His best run ended up being 11.7, so it was the adding supercharger/turbocharger thing, not the under 11.5 specifically for him. Plus I've seen the track officials here turn a guy away from the burnout pad, because he forgot to put his jacket on for that particular run. He had been running low-11s, and apparently they'd noticed, so they made him go back to the pits and get his jacket.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
lt4camaro

Thumbs up

Quote:
TPMS missing will show up after around 20 miles with a warning light. With mine, after driving to the track with DRs that lacked TPMS, could still turn T/C off at the track despite the warning light.

Pulling the passenger seat out throws an airbag light, but should not change T/C behavior. I've done that, ie removing the seat in the pits, then making some runs, then reinstalling the seat for the ride home.

No chance of running a 11.50 but thank you for the vote of confidence and your info. Your home track in NH is known to be a tenth or two quicker than Lebanon Valley in New York, so there is no chance. I am expecting to run at least a 11.8 if the DA is decent. Just to be clear you mentioned no issues shutting off T/C on both issues, I assume stability control or ESC (tap and hold) can be shut off also in sport mode.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:49 AM   #7
lt4camaro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Nope no issues. Jorge from JLS youtube channel ran 10s in a stock ZL1 a10 with the passenger seat removed and a drag pack tire setup.
Thank you for that, I want to make sure there are no seat removal quirks or tricks I need to know about that someone may have experienced. I have watched a lot of Jorges youtube stuff and can remember seeing a tire low air pressure light on in his car during his in car videos going down the track.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
No chance of running a 11.50 but thank you for the vote of confidence and your info. Your home track in NH is known to be a tenth or two quicker than Lebanon Valley in New York, so there is no chance. I am expecting to run at least a 11.8 if the DA is decent. Just to be clear you mentioned no issues shutting off T/C on both issues, I assume stability control or ESC (tap and hold) can be shut off also in sport mode.
I have raced at the Valley in the past (not with my Camaro), and whoever told you that it's 2 tenths slower than Epping is pulling your leg. ETs were pretty close actually with the same machine (normally aspirated with carbs), perhaps a few hundreths slower at LV on similar weather days, but it definitely was not worse by tenths of a second like they told you. LV is only 528 feet higher in elevation than NED, not really that big of a difference.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
I have raced at the Valley in the past (not with my Camaro), and whoever told you that it's 2 tenths slower than Epping is pulling your leg. ETs were pretty close actually with the same machine (normally aspirated with carbs), perhaps a few hundreths slower at LV on similar weather days, but it definitely was not worse by tenths of a second like they told you. LV is only 528 feet higher in elevation than NED, not really that big of a difference.
That has been the word for many years that ATCO and EPPING were the quickest tracks around. Maybe the two tracks consistantly have better prep? One thing for sure at Epping is your chances for a tail wind are much much greater, there is always a head wind at the Valley. Being that you made passes with the same car on both tracks your info is more credible and thank you again.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:46 AM   #10
Yosh6

Drives: 2024 Toyota Camry XSE
Quote:
Also a unrelated tire/TPMS question, I will be running a rear drag pak without tpms sensors, I will be driving to the track with these on the car and I know eventually I will get 2 lines where tire pressure is displayed for the two rear tires and a tpms light. Are there any known issues with that set up like difficulties shutting off traction control or stability control? or speed reductions.
Some more discussion of this issue here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588702

NOTE: As you will see, apparently, not all Gen 6's react in the same way to removing TPMS sensors; especially, when you remove the fronts only or the rears only. Removing them ALL (when possible) appears to work the best as far as I can tell.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #11
lt4camaro

Quote:

Hey wnta1ss, I drove my car 15-20 miles, multiple key cycles and finally the TPMS light comes on regarding the rear wheels with no TPMS sensors. I still can shut off the traction control like you said, but cannot shut off stability control and cannot access competitive mode 2 taps on the t/c button. Tried holding the t/c button and ESC doesnt shut off . Does that create any issues going down the 1/4 mile?? will it limit anything?
Thanks for your time.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:39 AM   #12
wnta1ss

Quote:
Hey wnta1ss, I drove my car 15-20 miles, multiple key cycles and finally the TPMS light comes on regarding the rear wheels with no TPMS sensors. I still can shut off the traction control like you said, but cannot shut off stability control and cannot access competitive mode 2 taps on the t/c button. Tried holding the t/c button and ESC doesnt shut off . Does that create any issues going down the 1/4 mile?? will it limit anything?
Thanks for your time.
With the same rear tires that you have, my 2017 SS seemed fine on the dragstrip by just turning T/C off (single tap), don't recall having issues with that setup. I did not bother trying to turn off ESC with the stock front tires/28 rears. Also did not bother trying to use Competitive Mode, because launch control on DRs made no sense to me. It's when I tried a 26 tire on the back with the stock fronts that I had to turn off ESC ('everything off' by long hold of T/C button). But I was still able to do the long hold with TPMS missing from the back.

If you still REALLY want to disable ESC, you could temporarily remove the ABS fuses, think it was F1 and F22 in the fusebox under the hood. This also disables the electric power steering assist btw, so the steering effort goes up. Obviously if you do this, you're really on your own, and no nanny intervention is possible when the individual wheel speed sensors are disabled like this. If you try this, my suggestion would be to remove them in the pits, race, then reinstall them before driving home.

Last edited by wnta1ss; 05-06-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #13
lt4camaro

Quote:
With the same rear tires that you have, my 2017 SS seemed fine on the dragstrip by just turning T/C off (single tap), don't recall having issues with that setup. I did not bother trying to turn off ESC with the stock front tires/28 rears. Also did not bother trying to use Competitive Mode, because launch control on DRs made no sense to me. It's when I tried a 26 tire on the back with the stock fronts that I had to turn off ESC ('everything off' by long hold of T/C button). But I was still able to do the long hold with TPMS missing from the back.

If you still REALLY want to disable ESC, you could temporarily remove the ABS fuses, think it was F1 and F22 in the fusebox under the hood. This also disables the electric power steering assist btw, so the steering effort goes up. Obviously if you do this, you're really on your own, and no nanny intervention is possible when the individual wheel speed sensors are disabled like this. If you try this, my suggestion would be to remove them in the pits, race, then reinstall them before driving home.
Thank you... and I will not go to that extreme to shut off ESC. The long hold on the TC will not shut off ESC as long as I have the TPMS light. I put the rear OE tires wheels back on, TPMS light goes out pretty quick during a drive, can hold the T/C button and ESC shuts off and checked the two tap on the T/C and competition mode is back. I will loose that function once the rear trakpack is on and in less than 10 miles with few key cycles when the light comes back on. I also have never wanted to use launch control, I feel with street tires I can always beat launch control with the seat of my pants and all nannies off and with these 305 45 17 et street Rs I should be able to flat foot the car off idle at the track and letting the trans shift in auto mode. I may push the shifter over in manual mode when it shifts into fifth so I can hold it to avoid a early shift at the traps as I should be trapping 120 mph. I just hope I will not get any torque reduction or any other power robbing interventions kicking in for what ever reasons. I will drive up to the track with the rear Trakpack on , way to much trouble changing them at the track and really no way to carry them anyway.