Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Z/28 clutch

So I have been reviewing the “14-15 Z’s clutch. During my search I have found very few chats that spoke in reference of the clutch assembly being anywhere in regards to heavy duty. The same as for the differential. I don’t seem to be able to find a particular topic on this question of interest. I have found on the GM sight the gear ratios and so forth but, nothing in detail of the Z/28’s clutch and or differential details as in HD, SD, equivalent to the ZL1 or is it exact comparison to the SS.

What are your thoughts, and or knowledge of this topic?
Would anyone know if the Z28 clutch comes as a double clutch assembly?
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
It's not a double clutch.

Due to having the LS7, it has a LS7 clutch kit.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Z/28 clutch

Thank you, for your input. I did find this GM statement of description in a general outline of the Z/28, “TR6060 six-speed, is a close-ratio manual transmission. It has a combination of double-cone and triple-cone synchronizers on all gears. Double-cone synchronizers have two friction surfaces to affect gear acceleration and triple-cone synchronizers have three friction surfaces – the greater the friction surface, the easier the transmission is to shift”.

This certainly is substantial for the output of the 7.0 and what subsequent performance /purpose the Z was developed for.
Also mentioned is that the “Z” comes with a close ratio shifter /short throw.

Has anyone else installed and noticed a difference with the installation of a aftermarket short throw shifter?
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard grimsley View Post
Thank you, for your input. I did find this GM statement of description in a general outline of the Z/28, “TR6060 six-speed, is a close-ratio manual transmission. It has a combination of double-cone and triple-cone synchronizers on all gears. Double-cone synchronizers have two friction surfaces to affect gear acceleration and triple-cone synchronizers have three friction surfaces – the greater the friction surface, the easier the transmission is to shift”.

This certainly is substantial for the output of the 7.0 and what subsequent performance /purpose the Z was developed for.
Also mentioned is that the “Z” comes with a close ratio shifter /short throw.

Has anyone else installed and noticed a difference with the installation of a aftermarket short throw shifter?
Lots of guys have installed aftermarket shifters. I never felt a need to do it. The rear end is really cool. To feel the difference between a normal rear end and the Z/28, find a big turn that you can take at speed, and alternate giving it gas and taking your foot off the gas --- you won't believe how smooth the chassis behaves when you are doing this. No twitching at all of the chassis. They say it is not as strong as the ZL1 rear end for 1/4 mile, but, when you feel this Torsen rear end in it's element, doing what it is supposed to do, you will not want any other rear end.

Clutch feels great to me. I am not particularly hard on it, but, after 13K miles, I have no complaint about the clutch, but, my Z/28 is a street car, I do not track it.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote