Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #29
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I have to agree that these tires are absolutely horrible in the rain. Honestly even on dry pavement my car has tendencies of wanting to get sideways under moderate acceleration.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
It's the nature of a wide, low-profile tire to hydroplane in heavy rain at higher speeds. I've had it happen in the Camaro with different tires. An AWD Touareg with 295 Conti A/S's. My buddy's GTR. You just have to slow down a little and try to stay away from the larger puddles if possible.

As for the snow/ice mode. It wouldn't hurt in the rain. It adjusts the throttle response, in addition to shifting, steering and MRC if optioned.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #31
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Glad I have not experienced this yet in my convertible, then again I only drive when the top is down

Ultimate rule to live by.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #32
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Love this thread.

The car wasn't out of control, just hydroplaning... perfectly. in. control.

No I don't need to slow down, it's 'cause of the tires! No way I'm driving too fast for the conditions, it's them damned Goodyears... let's hit the internet and complain about them instead of slowing down!

JFC
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #33
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMI View Post
Ultimate rule to live by.
Got stuck in a nasty rain squall a few weeks ago on the interstate,
Standing water on the interstate,
Knowing the issues I’ve been hearing about these tires,
I moved to the slow lane and slowed down.
Drove carefully and had no problems.

I think understanding these tires are a track rated tire and not designed to be an all weather tire, just use some common sense.

That being said, if you want to go roaring around in the weather,
Drive a truck!

Sorry, not meaning to offend, just seams like common sense.
JMHO
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #34
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
Love this thread.

No I don't need to slow down, it's 'cause of the tires! No way I'm driving too fast for the conditions, it's them damned Goodyears... let's hit the internet and complain about them instead of slowing down!

JFC
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #35
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Love this thread.

JFC
Pretty simple way to observe if this is true or not. Hop into a car on GS3's in the rain and do some highway driving. Slow down to maintain control and avoid hydroplaning (for me that was roughly 45mph).

Now watch the rest of traffic drive by you in control at the speed limit.

Could it be possible that indeed these tires are not great in wet weather?

Could it also be possible that too fast for the conditions varies based on grip level?

Hmm...
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #36
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbey View Post
Got stuck in a nasty rain squall a few weeks ago on the interstate,
Standing water on the interstate,
Knowing the issues I’ve been hearing about these tires,
I moved to the slow lane and slowed down.
Drove carefully and had no problems.

I think understanding these tires are a track rated tire and not designed to be an all weather tire, just use some common sense.

That being said, if you want to go roaring around in the weather,
Drive a truck!

Sorry, not meaning to offend, just seams like common sense.
JMHO
I scratch my head over people deciding to replace performance summer tires with all-season and giving up performance for the 99.99% of time it doesn't rain.

I have 20k Wisconsin daily driven miles on my SS. The stock Goodyear tires perform great spring/summer/fall and I say that after having driven in heavy rush hour traffic, in construction zones, in the pouring rain. Drive an appropriate speed and style

All season tires are a poor choice for winter driving so I have a second set of rims with true winter tires on both of our cars. Michelin X-Ice (hers) and Pirelli Sottozero (his).

I've driven RWD V8 cars with summer and winter tires for 20 years. I think some just aren't use to it.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #37
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Could it also be possible that too fast for the conditions varies based on grip level?

Hmm...
THAT
IS
THE
WHOLE
POINT

The equipment, yes, helps to define the conditions. You're going too fast if you are hydroplaning... so yeah, it's totally simple concept and very easy to observe. Slow down.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #38
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
THAT
IS
THE
WHOLE
POINT

The equipment, yes, helps to define the conditions. You're going too fast if you are hydroplaning... so yeah, it's totally simple concept and very easy to observe. Slow down.

Your point is understood but not the point of this thread. The point of the thread is how the Goodyears hydroplane easier than other tires in the rain. The equipment itself is up for discussion, not the method in which it is used.

Thank you for agreeing with the premise of the thread in that the equipment helps to define the conditions. The Goodyears do not do that great in rain comparatively to other summer tires (say the Michelin PS4s for example).

I'd say the Goodyears on the SS are actually decent in the rain compared to the Goodyears on the 1LE/ZL1 models. This might be due to larger contact footprint or the compound or the tread itself. There's a definite difference when hitting water spots on the interstate.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #39
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I scratch my head over people deciding to replace performance summer tires with all-season and giving up performance for the 99.99% of time it doesn't rain.
The amount of performance given up by replacing performance tires with all- seasons, will not be noticed by the average driver 99.99% of the time. A skilled driver will most likely be able to track a car quicker around any course, on all-seasons, than an average or poor driver, on performance tires. so I'll fix this for you...

I scratch my head over people deciding to replace performance tires with performance tires when they don't track their car nor, will they ever be able to safely or legally reach 99.99% of the cars performance on public roads.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #40
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
The amount of performance given up by replacing performance tires with all- seasons, will not be noticed by the average driver 99.99% of the time. A skilled driver will most likely be able to track a car quicker around any course, on all-seasons, than an average or poor driver, on performance tires. so I'll fix this for you...

I scratch my head over people deciding to replace performance tires with performance tires when they don't track their car nor, will they ever be able to safely or legally reach 99.99% of the cars performance on public roads.
I scratch my head over why you bought a SS with Brembo brakes and a 6.2L, 455 lb-ft V8 when a LT would apparently do the trick for you.

The SS comes with summer only street tires that maximize launch out of the hole, lateral acceleration and shorten braking distance substantially while not degrading as they heat up. Then there are lap times.

All jesting aside, check out this comparison that Motor Trend did titled "How Summer Tires Transform the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro RS". Then realize putting all season on a SS will do exactly the opposite.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/1500...ree-adds-much/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 07-30-2018 at 01:25 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #41
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Interesting...I ran a cool (mid 50's) track day in the rain on the ss factory goodyears and was able to run much harder than I thought I would be able to and much harder than I would ever need to on the street. Not saying they're not better rain tires out there but I find no reason to doubt the wet performance of the OE tires.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #42
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Yes, this isnt my first rwd but ive noticed that it gets little loose in rain. I do slow down tho.