Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hey people, give the folks at Hurst a break! At least they are thinking of us new Camaro owners with new products like shifters, etc. If you don't want to buy one then don't slam their product. Buy a different brand. Hurst shifters are always noisy. I had one in my 2010 Camaro SS and it was no exception. Even had one in a 1987 Camaro IROC Z and it was noisy too. My 98 Camaro SS had a GMPP shifter which was made by Hurst and noisy too. It's just the nature of their shifters.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #16
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Stock shifter is one of the best I have ever had in a car......With all the componets that have to be removed....I think most will leave the stock shifter in there....

The knobs do not match the character of the car.........I paid over 40 K for a modern leather interior.....why would I want to put a tacky white ball, classic or not, or a redneck style pistol grip in this car.....Hurst you can do better.....How about a nice leather t-handle or a knob similar to stock with better recesses for fingers. The new Camaro has moved upmarket and the parts should reflect that.

I'll pass on this and I think most others will too!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
While you might not like the aesthetics of them, there's a lot of history behind some of the designs. Also "If you can't say something nice... stfu" applies here, I think.

Myself, I opted for a competitors version for my C7, but I love the look and feel of the "cue" ball. I learned to drive stick on my dad's 78 T/A with a 4 on the floor. Might even have been a Hurst shifter.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #18
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
I am looking forward to this shifter. I put one in my 2014 and it was a huge improvement, never rattled, I didn't use the isolator pad between the handle & base.

I'm curious to see their full instructions steps. I don't think you can thread on your own knob, which is a let down. If they made a top section with a threaded stud to install your own knob, or a post to install the stock knob, then it might have a wider market.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #19
sschons74

Curr, the MGW flat stick looks nice!

I also prefer the classic ball, maybe I'm too old-school and not upscale enough.

MGW may be an option for me. I heard they are supposed to be working on one, is there any news on their progress? It seems like most of their site is about Mustangs.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately, as these cars evolve, the steps necessary to perform what used to be simple drop-in installs have become a bit more involved. We would like to point out that this shifter does not transmit additional noise from the trans into the vehicle. Because we know how important noise reduction is to our customers, we spent countless hours designing this shifter to be as quiet as stock while still providing a 40% throw reduction.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #21
Curr

And to all the people who say "It's too difficult to do the Hurst, I'll get <another MFG> one", I'd be willing to bet they are all going to be very, very similar when replacing the same components.
This isn't the first go around for companies like Hurst, so I'd be willing to bet a lot of thought went into how they were to be installed.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #22
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Curr, the MGW flat stick looks nice!

I also prefer the classic ball, maybe I'm too old-school and not upscale enough.
Thanks, I love it. Wifey got it for me shortly after I got the car.

Wifey also would probably agree about my "upscale-ness" and mostly the "old" part

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
sschons74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurstPerformance View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately, as these cars evolve, the steps necessary to perform what used to be simple drop-in installs have become a bit more involved. We would like to point out that this shifter does not transmit additional noise from the trans into the vehicle. Because we know how important noise reduction is to our customers, we spent countless hours designing this shifter to be as quiet as stock while still providing a 40% throw reduction.
Thanks for developing this! Any chance we would be able to install our own knob with this kit?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #24
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
And to all the people who say "It's too difficult to do the Hurst, I'll get <another MFG> one", I'd be willing to bet they are all going to be very, very similar when replacing the same components.
This isn't the first go around for companies like Hurst, so I'd be willing to bet a lot of thought went into how they were to be installed.
For me , it's not the time and difficulty of the install. its having to remove it because there is something flawed with the design. If this one is loud what is tech support gonna tell me this time? "Turn the radio up"??
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #25
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I'll give another shout-out for Hurst products. I had one on my 2002 Trans Am, and I absolutely loved it. I love the cue ball as well. A lot of hate in this thread.
Aboynamedsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #26
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Pistol grip shifters....Mullet and trailer sold separately XD
Old 06-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #27
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I had a Hurst in my 2010 for 4 years and it was perfect. Put the same one in my 2015 and love it.
The mechanical feel is not for everyone, some people actually enjoy the sloppy crap OEM shifter.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #28
Aboynamedsue

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I had a Hurst in my 2010 for 4 years and it was perfect. Put the same one in my 2015 and love it.
The mechanical feel is not for everyone, some people actually enjoy the sloppy crap OEM shifter.
Exactly. I prefer that mechanical feel.
Aboynamedsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, camaro ss, hurst, shifter