Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
camaro104

Drives: 2017 Nightfall 50th Annivers Camaro
Send a message via AIM to camaro104
Gm cold air intake question, and tune.

My question is has anybody installer gm's cold air intake and had the dealership do the tune, and did it proform better, same or worse?
camaro104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
If the intake is installed properly, meaning no gaps and the filter tube is correctly aligned, according to the instructions, it does not matter who installs it. The performance remains the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
camaro104

Drives: 2017 Nightfall 50th Annivers Camaro
Send a message via AIM to camaro104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
If the intake is installed properly, meaning no gaps and the filter tube is correctly aligned, according to the instructions, it does not matter who installs it. The performance remains the same.

I installed mine but but not sure if I should take it to the dealership to have it tune or leave it alone. Instruction says to have it tune. Wanted to know if it makes a difference.
camaro104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro104 View Post
I installed mine but but not sure if I should take it to the dealership to have it tune or leave it alone. Instruction says to have it tune. Wanted to know if it makes a difference.

I misunderstood. I had the tune done on mine immediately after I installed it. I really can’t tell a difference one way or the other. There are a few threads where some folks have done it and says their car ran worse and others like myself who had no issues whatsoever.

Since the tune comes with it, and that’s really why you paid a premium for it over the non-GM branded CAI, then I figured it makes sense to have it done.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Would it hurt the warranty if you installed it but decided not to bring it in to have it tuned?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I installed mine then brought it to the dealer for the tune. I felt no real difference other than maybe a little better throttle response. Hard acceleration sounds better as well.

I had the tune done to ensure my warranty is not voided. Although the same one sold by CAI does not require a tune I assume the GM branded one does not either but I don't want to take any chances.
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The CAI CAI which appears to be the OEM of the GM CAI claims about a 10hp increase without a tune. I have it and had dealer do the tune, can’t say I notice anything but a little more intake sound.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Would it hurt the warranty if you installed it but decided not to bring it in to have it tuned?

Voiding of warranty is case-by-case and unfortunately up to the dealership servicing the car for whatever fault that they’ll try to blame on the CAI not having the requisite tune.

Once again, the tune is included in the pricing for the GM CAI.

There’s no benefit to spending the extra money for the GM branded CAI that comes with the tune and not having the tune done. All you’d be doing is putting yourself in the same position that your post mentions, why risk it?

If you aren’t going to have the tune done simply go with the Cold Air Inductions version, save a few bucks, and call it a day. It’s the exact same as the GM CAI, since Cold Air Inductions makes the GM CAI, but without the tune, GM markup and GM stamp on the lid.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The CAI and GM units are different. The CAI unit is not CARB compliant. To meet CARB requirements the GM unit includes a thin hydrocarbon absorber that changes the airflow characteristics of the metal intake tube. The "tune" that comes with the GM unit is simply a recalibration to account for the different airflow. That's why the CAI unit does not require a tune and the GM unit does. Of course GM recommends that you not remove the hydrocarbon absorber from their units.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
ecko04

There are 2 versions of the GM CAI:

84315275 - 50 state legal (CARB)
84329125 - 37 state legal (Non-CARB)

GM recommends the calibration update for both, not just the CARB version.

84329125 is being phased out and replaced with only 84315275.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I purchased a 84329125 GM intake from Wildhammer at CF last month. I took it to the dealer today and had it re-calibrated when I had my oil changed. I truly cant tell any difference from before or after it was taken in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Of course GM recommends that you not remove the hydrocarbon absorber from their units.
Do you think it would make a difference if it were removed?
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
I am having GM CAI installed next Friday. A lot of confusion at the dealership(s) as to if the tune comes with the purchase, or if the car needs a tune after installation. One says one thing and the other... Anyway, I chose the dealer that could get the part and will provide a tune. However, they are going to charge me $80 beans total for install and tune. The only reason i am doing this, as it does not sound like it will add any HP, is that GM has sent me a gift card for accessories since they ran me through the wringer on the Rear Diff and the A8 Shudder.