Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #57
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
I don't think it will compensate for that much difference in air temperature/density at WOT. Different story at part throttle.

This is more about transferring power to early throttle application. We've also added every detail needed to perform at WOT as well. The greater differences show up at part throttle.

Thanks,

OK
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #58
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS6 View Post
This is genuinely a very good point and even applies to other things in life as well (unrelated to cars, hesitation, lag, etc).

Anyways... The Soler unit is superb! I'll write an in-depth review once I have a bit more time but there is an immediate difference in feel/performance that completely surprised me (just.. WOW). I'm very happy with the customer service, craftsmanship, attention to detail, and overall reassurance of the product/company.

Glad to see Mike here on the forum! Great to have them here , I had originally started another thread asking about this throttle body so I'll update both with a more "formal" review soon.

BUT,

I'll leave you guys with this: This product is well worth the money and it is a substantial improvement! Couldn't be happier!

Any difference in wide open throttle on a hot day?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #59
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Any difference in wide open throttle on a hot day?
If you don't have a ported throttle body on your car right now, I can tell you with 100% certainty, you will notice a significant difference in the feel of the car when you step on the gas. I remember before I had this SS I had a 16 V6, when I went from stock to CAI + Ported throttle body, the difference when I hit the gas was night and day. I don't see this being any different. All of our cars stock have a delay, it's just unfortunately a characteristic of the car.

Give it until after the weekend if you can, and I'm sure other members and myself will provide reviews. Only other thing I have on my car ATM is a CAI, so we shall see the difference.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #60
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Did a lot of reading about these over on CorvetteForum. Just submitted my order. Looking forward to the results and posting them here!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #61
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Have there been any CEL issues or any other problems on the ones you've sold ones the corvette forums?
Absolutely, everyone in this business has had them. The good thing is that we have 12ea pre-sales test samples running out there, and we've weeded codes and other issues out.

We aim for the highest possible airflow for the stock calibration, and if we ever were to cross the line and you get a code, we'll send you a custom made TB to match your calibration. This is rare, but it does happen. I wish I could give you an absolute "NO" to your question, but I'd be lying.

Thanks,
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #62
Z650HP

Drives: 2019 Black ZL1 M6
Looks like a quality product. However I choose to go with Tony Mamo.
His experience and knowledge of these throttle bodies are second to none.
Sure yours are fine as well.

Z650HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #63
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Looks interesting and I'm looking forward to the feedback, I'm using a Tony Mamo with a throttle controller on an M6 2SS 1LE and it transformed the car as far as drivability, no more stalling, and lurching takeoffs. I've been driving manual transmissions for 40+ years and after 4K miles in this car I threw in the towel, it wasn't me that was the problem. For you guys trying these out, keep in mind it will take 100-300 miles and several start cycles before your going to realize any benefits as the cars ECM needs to learn it.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #64
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Great to see another trickle down of tech from the C7 to the Camaro.

First the MightyMouse Catch Can.. Now the Soler Performance Premium Modified, Ported, and Calibrated Throttle Body...

Ordering this product was a no brainer.
I'm looking forward to changing my life in 15 minutes or less.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #65
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z650HP View Post

Looks like Solar is cutting away more metal than Mamo for more flow.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #66
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
There is a much debated problem w/ the throttle response of the LT1/LT4 engines, manual or auto, the issue has been described in this and other forums (Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V, Trucks, SUV’s), just to mention a few descriptions:

- Throttle Lag
- Delayed response
- Car feeling heavy or not nimble
- Difficulty climbing hills at low/moderate throttle
- Uncertainty when passing other cars or unpredictable response at low/moderate throttle
- Stumble when shifting on manual transmissions

You name it, this has been my issue w/ my Corvette 7 since test driving at the dealership. I've tried a Throttle controller, AFM disabler, ECM Tuning, and arguably the three most talked about ported throttle bodies (PTB) out there. I have also combined some of the above w/ some success but still not enough. One just needs to hop into almost any other comparable car to feel they respond better.

After spending so much time/money, I decided to take it upon myself to find out, I also have all the equipment needed at work (measuring, testing, simulating, machining etc.)

Long story short; it is the throttle body. Between idle (~5 degree throttle) to ~30 deg throttle angle the amount of mass air flow (which is proportional to power) puts our cars at a weigh to power ratio similar to that of trucks and SUV’s, both in terms of absolute value and rate of change. Not to be confused w/ the weight to power ratio that is usually published, which is calculated at WOT, above 35 deg throttle angle our engines shine. It is on the part throttle range (idle to 30 deg) that the issue exists.

I’m not going to speculate on the reasons, but I can tell you that our throttle body p/n 12678223 or 12620263 is used in many GM vehicles and that such throttle response helps w/ fuel economy. That helps to keep parts cost low and meet EPA requirements for the fleet. However, I do not think one size fits all and that a high performance car needs to sacrifice performance for economy.

The throttle controller and the tune improve response by making the throttle plate move faster between the 5-30 deg range. Faster, but it still needs to go through a tortuous path for the air flow, and the manifold pressure doesn’t recover as fast. It is a transient process, and it is from the intake manifold where the pistons suck the air from. Notice that this is not true throttle response, it is just tricking the ECM into thinking you have pushed the accelerator pedal harder. The actual throttle response is the same, only physical changes to the throttle can make for a true throttle response.

The existing aftermarket ported throttle bodies also helped, they do change the throttle physically, but their effect only starts to take place at about 25 deg in what I thought was the best one of them. Definitely a step in the right direction, but I noticed they were not optimized and that more could be extracted from them, that is a throttle body that can increase the absolute value and rate of change of mass air flow right from idle and up to 35 degrees to achieve the same weight to power ratio (in that range) of similar high performance cars that feel nimble and fun to drive at part throttle.

Another long story short, I reversed engineered 10ea OEM throttle bodies, 3ea aftermarket ported throttle bodies, and a benchmark (competing car maker model) OEM throttle body. Optimized/modified the OEM throttle body to meet the benchmark throttle response as well as the goal stated above.

Our modified throttle bodies (MTB) are made (CNC machined) from a brand new OEM throttle body, flow and engine tested. Our design has been fully vetted by Corvette 7, Camaro 6, CTS-V owners, fully and openly tested by Corvette Forum members mainly. Driven in different conditions/modes for a few thousands of miles now at extreme temperatures and altitudes.

See pics below for more insight into what I’m talking about…and most importantly what do you think? All comments welcome.
Please visit us at : SolerEngineering.com

Thanks,

What do the cut out notches in throat of body do exactly?
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:39 AM   #67
Hilltopper

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2017 Z06/Z07
Quote:

The Mamo TB gives a slight improvement over the OE TB. The Soler is on a whole different level, and much better bang for the buck. I swapped my Mamo TB on my C7 Z06 for one of Mike's TB and never looked back. Not really even a comparison......the Soler is much better TB without any doubt. I liked it so much, I put one on my 2018 ZL1 with under 300 miles on it. It really is THAT good!!

2018 ZL1, Kong Ported LT4 SC, Kooks 2" Headers and X-Pipe, NW103mm TB, ATI Underdrive Pulley 673/688, 2017 Z06/Z07, Kong Ported LT4 SC, Kooks 2" Headers and X-Pipe, NW103mm TB, IW 18% Underdrive Pulley 640/664, 2019 Mustang GT Perf Pkg. 1
Hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:53 AM   #68
Z650HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
The Mamo TB gives a slight improvement over the OE TB. The Soler is on a whole different level, and much better bang for the buck. I swapped my Mamo TB on my C7 Z06 for one of Mike's TB and never looked back. Not really even a comparison......the Soler is much better TB without any doubt. I liked it so much, I put one on my 2018 ZL1 with under 300 miles on it. It really is THAT good!!
Placebo effect. Highly doubtful.
Then again you can train your mind to believe anything. Just got to believe.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 AM   #69
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Placebo effect. Highly doubtful.
Then again you can train your mind to believe anything. Just got to believe.
No placebo here, we provide hard numbers. Anyone with a simple data streaming tool can measure it.

When you went from stock TB to a PTB; did you feel a difference? Was that the placebo effect too? In any case; how do you know?
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:43 AM   #70
Z650HP

Quote:
No placebo here, we provide hard numbers. Anyone with a simple data streaming tool can measure it.

When you went from stock TB to a PTB; did you feel a difference? Was that the placebo effect too? In any case; how do you know?

Just because your the new guy on the block and people want to drink your kool aid doesn't mean I'm going to partake.
Especially when guys are putting you up against a guy that has the knowledge and experience to back it up.
Rather me answer your questions how about you answer mine?
Supply some real fact and or data that yours out performs Tony's.
Until then when some guy quotes me saying how much better yours is over Tony's with no real evidence or actual proof I'm going to reference the Placebo effect.
Not saying your TB is crap or not good. Just not saying its anything. You haven't showed anything but throw around a few fancy words.