Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdar66 View Post
well the gm/ borla one is weld in i was asuming that some of them where weld ons. i just cut my suit case off and used 4 90s and cut the tips off the muffler then welded it all together

i was explaining that the stock system is all one piece no aftermarket!
100% my fault then. I figured since it was made by borla it would be clamp on like the rest of their systems.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
bdar66

Drives: 2016 camaro lt2 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
100% my fault then. I figured since it was made by borla it would be clamp on like the rest of their systems.
no problem! that's why we have this beautiful space of information! no one is going to know it all!
bdar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #17
Flavio

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 V6 Black
I would prefer to clamp the mufflers for one reason.
To weld, there is power current running in the metal parts of the car. some electronic components could be damaged. It happens on many cars, even id you disconnect the battery. Be careful!!

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
you'd have to clamp in a very wrong place when welding to create a circuit to any components from an exhaust location.

It could be done...but it is more of an instance of poor welding experience than the act of welding. Even on newer cars like our 6th gens... welding the exhaust shouldn't hurt anything when the ground clamp is attached to the exhaust correctly.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 02-03-2020 at 04:17 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #19
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I listened to different sound clips, reviewed pricing, etc. for the different available axle back systems. I also looked at the installation instructions to see if you cut, bolt on, etc. the system and how easy or difficult it was to put on.

I went with the MBRP axle back system. I had to cut the two pipes that lead into the stock muffler. I cut them as indicated in the instructions- I lined the cut up with one of the cross members. I thought I was going to have to use my sawzall but used my muffler pipe cut off tool- it was super easy. I then pulled off the front two rubber hangers, unbolted the hangers from the rear bumper and dropped the huge stock muffler. Then simply installed the MBRP system with the nice wide side tightening clamps. The hardest part honestly was installing and centering the nice 4" chrome tips. I had to adjust and rotate the pipes, where they connected to the stock system- I kept rotating them until the exhaust outlets were perfectly centered in the rear valance cut outs. I wanted the pipes perfectly centered. There was enough adjustment and it came out perfectly centered.