Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Performance air intake

I am curious what every one thinks or have seen from other model camaro or corvette if the GM cold air intake is going to be worth it. I ordered the NPP exhaust and maybe do headers later on with this exhaust. Say around 100k miles do a cam swap to freshen the performance and rejuvenate my interests. With the mag ride suspension doubt I will ever do anything with that other than maintain stock. This might be the first car I do not want to do much other than drive it to 200k miles and quit. Here is the description.

Performance air intake – This kit, available in early 2016, helps reduce air restriction and includes an open-element air filter, a sealed compartment with all the necessary installation hardware for the Camaro SS with the LT1 V-8.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
It will be a much better intake system than the stock however it won't be anywhere near as efficient as an AFE system. Another thing, the TRI stock headers are actually fantastic so if you do not wanna touch stuff with this car... Especially do not touch the headers.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Don't plan on gaining much more then a few hp with ANY intake. They really need a tune to show any measurable gains. Newer OEM airboxes are much better, and adding an intake is not going to get the 20 hp some think or claim. I gained on my current 5.0 Mustang 9 rwhp with and good intake and getting my tune revised at the time.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Don't plan on gaining much more then a few hp with ANY intake. They really need a tune to show any measurable gains. Newer OEM airboxes are much better, and adding an intake is not going to get the 20 hp some think or claim. I gained on my current 5.0 Mustang 9 rwhp with and good intake and getting my tune revised at the time.
Aye, slapping an intake on isn't going to give HP. However when you combine a much better air flowing intake and the tune... You are talking good numbers. AFE on LT1 (c7) results were 18rwhp and 20 rwhq.
Build thread HERE!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
10mm_

Drives: 2015 Stingray (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Aye, slapping an intake on isn't going to give HP. However when you combine a much better air flowing intake and the tune... You are talking good numbers. AFE on LT1 (c7) results were 18rwhp and 20 rwhq.
AFE on a C7 is proven 8-9 hp with no tune
10mm_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L&&brandID=136
Build thread HERE!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

The manufacturer can say whatever they want, 9 times out of 10 it's incorrect, or done at some odd peak rpm, or with non SAE numbers, or uncorrected numbers, etc. The intake on my Mustang is an AFE as well, they claimed 22hp and 27tq, which I knew was a joke, but people believe it. I have (along with about 100 others on the forum) proven that the AFE (nor any other) doesn't make anywhere near the claimed power on a dyno, and my car isn't stock, so therefore if anything would have made more power. I'm just saying don't expect crazy numbers on the SS either from these, I would say expect a solid 5-8 hp at the wheels or so, some intake noise, and be happy.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
The manufacturer can say whatever they want, 9 times out of 10 it's incorrect, or done at some odd peak rpm, or with non SAE numbers, or uncorrected numbers, etc. The intake on my Mustang is an AFE as well, they claimed 22hp and 27tq, which I knew was a joke, but people believe it. I have (along with about 100 others on the forum) proven that the AFE (nor any other) doesn't make anywhere near the claimed power on a dyno, and my car isn't stock, so therefore if anything would have made more power. I'm just saying don't expect crazy numbers on the SS either from these, I would say expect a solid 5-8 hp at the wheels or so, some intake noise, and be happy.
Oh for sure, no one should expect 100hp/tq with an intake. It is just a supporting mod. Couple the intake with ported tb/im, less restrictive exhaust (getting rid of 2 cats via xpipe in my case), a tune... You'll be sitting at 430+ rwhp which is great to keep me going for a while and when the itch returns, procharge.
Build thread HERE!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
The only intake that will be worth anything will be one that collects the air from the front grills and removes that elbow in the intake tract.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
ALL good points and what I was thinking about. i think the current hp will take me some time to lose any interest or get used to. It has always happened and I want more as time goes. Although I am really impressed with the stock performance numbers of the ss. stock for stock we are almost getting a 70k car for high 30's if you bought the 1ss. This is why I love chevrolet v8's! So glad we still have them! I missed the boat on the 2004-07 CTS-V. That was a true sleeper. Crappy interior panels though. Last v8 manual sedan though.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
The second gen CTS-V, the G8 GXP, and the SS are all V8, manual sedans, too.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
Raybreiding

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS2
Looking for suggestions for air intake system for 2016 SS. K&N does not have one yet and does not seem to be in any hurry to offer one.
Raybreiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybreiding View Post
Looking for suggestions for air intake system for 2016 SS. K&N does not have one yet and does not seem to be in any hurry to offer one.
Right now... There is ONLY ONE that is out in the "market" and you cannot even order it yet. And that is the Chevrolet Performance air intake that costs $415 bucks but cannot order it, YET. No ETA either. Oh and we know it is %14 more efficient than the stock intake.

K&N took almost 2 years to release their intake on the c7... Plus I'd never get a K&N intake, only because they will never have the best intake out there. It is still a legit intake but not the best. And since they did already design the intake on the STOCK car (Confirmed by AO himself), I am sure due to their agreement they cannot release their product in X amount of time.
Build thread HERE!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #14
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Right now... There is ONLY ONE that is out in the "market" and you cannot even order it yet. And that is the Chevrolet Performance air intake that costs $415 bucks but cannot order it, YET. No ETA either. Oh and we know it is %14 more efficient than the stock intake.

K&N took almost 2 years to release their intake on the c7... Plus I'd never get a K&N intake, only because they will never have the best intake out there. It is still a legit intake but not the best. And since they did already design the intake on the STOCK car (Confirmed by AO himself), I am sure due to their agreement they cannot release their product in X amount of time.
Thought I read the new one was "17% more efficient"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybreiding View Post

Either way, no need to rush into it, and I would not want to be first to put on an aftermarket intake anyway. For two reasons, one to see if they actually do anything, as on some new cars they really do nothing but make more intake noise. Two, I would want to make sure there are no side effects of adding one without a tune. As some cars ECU's may not properly compensate for the extra air. Give it 6 months, then go for it...