Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #267
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBumblebee View Post
Hey all, been following this thread for past few months. Upgraded my negative cable with a 1/0 gauge wire 24”. However I just replaced my battery about 2 weeks after installing additional ground and I still get a slow crank.

I’m considering getting rid of my dream car because this problem has continued ever since I bought it back in January. This is my 2nd battery in 6 months. 1st replacement read as bad from an Autozone battery test. Any idea how to move forward? Install pics included. Any advice very much appreciated.
Only thing left is the starter. Maybe it’s tired
Old 06-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #268
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Bumblebee- I’m sorry you are still struggling with a slow crank. What are the conditions when it happens- cold engine, warm engine, or both? As mentioned- the starter may be on its way out.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:44 AM   #269
BlackBumblebee

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Bumblebee- I’m sorry you are still struggling with a slow crank. What are the conditions when it happens- cold engine, warm engine, or both? As mentioned- the starter may be on its way out.
Glad y’all are still active and quick. Warm/hot starts are slow, gas fills, grocery trips, etc. I feel it works best when remote started. I like to limit my start/stops on a day to 3 to be safe. Checking my vin service record, there had been no starter replacement in sight after 79k. I’m just over 80k now and I rarely drive (maybe 10-15 miles a week). I keep it in a garage with a battery tender on. Odds are my battery is dead dead again so I’ll have to replace that a third time. I pray and hope replacing the starter will solve this whole thing. Fingers crossed my extended warranty will cover this starter replacement. Thank you

-Nate
BlackBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #270
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Hey all, been following this thread for past few months. Upgraded my negative cable with a 1/0 gauge wire 24”. However I just replaced my battery about 2 weeks after installing additional ground and I still get a slow crank.

I’m considering getting rid of my dream car because this problem has continued ever since I bought it back in January. This is my 2nd battery in 6 months. 1st replacement read as bad from an Autozone battery test. Any idea how to move forward? Install pics included. Any advice very much appreciated.
If installing the additional ground didn’t solve it then that means your starter/starter solenoid is fried from all the hot starts. You probably just need a new starter at this point. Make sure to keep the additional ground installed when you replace the starter.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #271
SSDan

Quote:
I keep it in a garage with a battery tender on. Odds are my battery is dead dead again so I’ll have to replace that a third time. I pray and hope replacing the starter will solve this whole thing. Fingers crossed my extended warranty will cover this starter replacement. Thank you

-Nate
Glad to help where possible. Here are a few thoughts and note I have a good basic understanding of electricity but I am not an electrical engineer so my logic could be off.

- The slow crank on a hot start is the result of too much resistance in the circuit between the battery and the starter for the battery to overcome.

- What are the drivers for this extra resistance? - here are a few:

- The windings in the starter have become hot because the starter location
has poor ventilation/cooling. This is called heat soak. Note that if you hot
crank a starter long enough or often enough there can be damage to the
windings which is why a starter replacement can become necessary.

- The engine to body ground is poor or inadequate and this creates added
resistance that the battery can not overcome when combined with the
heat soak. That's why the engine starts fine on a cold start and that is
why my solution of adding another ground cable has helped me and
many others.

- The battery is too weak under the cranking load to overcome the circuit
resistance caused by the heat soak and/or poor ground. This is why a
new battery will work for a while but as soon as the cranking amps start
to drop off you'll get the slow crank.

Something beyond the thoughts offered above may be at play if you keep ending up with dead batteries. Do you have any type of aftermarket amps/stereo equipment, radar detector - etc. hardwired that could be causing a parasitic drain?

Before you take the car to the dealership remove the extra ground cable. Even though it can't hurt anything you don't want to give the dealership any excuse to deny service because they believe you have tried to fix this yourself.

Here is my best take for you:

Get the dealership to replace the starter and the starter relay. Make sure you have a strong battery and no parasitic losses somewhere. Then once you get the car back add back the ground cable. I believe this is the best path for you to get this problem behind you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 06-13-2022, 10:32 PM   #272
Dieseldoug22

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Conv.
Hi guys just want to point out 1 small addition the the parade of improvement. First, I want to say I completely agree with Grounding the car better. These aluminum engines don't conduct electricity like the old iron blocks. I've been doing it on all of my cars since I learned about it in 2009.

Only thing I would suggest is that you run any new ground cables from the battery negative post to the body, run them thru the ammeter that the stock cable is running thru. It measures the amperage running thru the electrical system and it lets the car know the health and ability of the battery. If you bypass the meter, the car can't factor the correct calculations. As we know, EVERYTHING is metered in these cars nowadays.

Either try and stuff the new cable thru the hole, as I barely accomplished in my car. haha Or get a bigger cable altogether and just replace it.

I will admit, I don't know exactly what the car uses the info for. But, like adding the cable, It will help the car to optimize the new found energy.
Dieseldoug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #273
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
Works! batterycablesusa 21" in 0/2 awg. The Autozone bolt, nut and washer. Total price about 28 bucks. Thanks SSDan and the rest!
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:07 PM   #274
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Replaced mine, and it definitely cranks faster, time will tell on the hot starts, I only had it happen once a week ago.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:23 PM   #275
chovaz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Just ordered a new cable for my 2017 2SS. Stranded for the 2nd time today (first was a month or so ago) with this hot start issue....Will report back once it's installed.
chovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #276
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovaz View Post
Just ordered a new cable for my 2017 2SS. Stranded for the 2nd time today (first was a month or so ago) with this hot start issue....Will report back once it's installed.
I'm glad you found this thread. Adding this cable has been a true blessing for me and many others. I hope the same for you and please do report back.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 08-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #277
chovaz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
I'm glad you found this thread. Adding this cable has been a true blessing for me and many others. I hope the same for you and please do report back.
Installing it today. Upon doing an initial inspection I also noticed that the main ground cable from that front post is in REALLY, REALLY bad shape. I'll post a pic with my update later today.
chovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #278
305_to_310

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Hey guys. I just gotta say that I've read all 20 pages of this page for the past hour and I'm very much looking forward to trying this on my 2019 2SS. Thanks for all your work SSDan!

To give insight on my current issues I've been facing, can someone chime in if in fact, my ground cables are having a bad connection? So here's my situation...

2 weeks ago the car completely shut off on me while driving. About 5 seconds later the engine and all electrical components came back on and I drove off. A week prior to that, I replaced the battery with a brand new one because the voltages were reading below 12. So after that situation happened I took the car into the dealership thinking maybe it was the alternator. They did all the diagnostic tests they could do and told me the alternator and battery were just fine. So I just picked up the car from the dealership yesterday, but the voltage meter in my car is still fluctuating between 12-12.5 and barely ever touching 14 most of the time. I'm afraid that problem will happen again while I'm driving somewhere. So today I read one of the threads from another guy who had a similar issue and his fix was a loose ground wire [https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607668]

I'm headed to a local mechanic sometime tomorrow and I wanna point him in the right direction on where to look so can someone give any insight/suggestions that checking my ground cables, and even adding a ground being the viable solution?

To give more clarity on that issue that happened 2 weeks ago, it was super hot that day (over 110 degrees here in the L.A. area during a week-long heat wave which we rarely get) and I was driving regularly on the highway with the A/C on, radar detector connected to the cigarette lighter, and dashcam on which is hardwired.

Any input is greatly appreciated...
MODS: GM Cold Air Intake, GM Strut Brace, E85 Flex Fuel Kit, HP Tuners MPVI 2, Custom E85/91 Tune by Ben Charles (HP Tuners senior member), NPP Dual Performance Exhaust, cat + muffler delete, Elite Engineering Catch Can, ZL1 Spoiler w/Wicker bill

Last edited by 305_to_310; 09-30-2022 at 09:27 PM.
305_to_310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:23 AM   #279
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305_to_310 View Post

To give insight on my current issues I've been facing, can someone chime in if in fact, my ground cables are having a bad connection? So here's my situation...

2 weeks ago the car completely shut off on me while driving. About 5 seconds later the engine and all electrical components came back on and I drove off. A week prior to that, I replaced the battery with a brand new one because the voltages were reading below 12. So after that situation happened I took the car into the dealership thinking maybe it was the alternator. They did all the diagnostic tests they could do and told me the alternator and battery were just fine. So I just picked up the car from the dealership yesterday, but the voltage meter in my car is still fluctuating between 12-12.5 and barely ever touching 14 most of the time. I'm afraid that problem will happen again while I'm driving somewhere. So today I read one of the threads from another guy who had a similar issue and his fix was a loose ground wire [https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607668]

I'm headed to a local mechanic sometime tomorrow and I wanna point him in the right direction on where to look so can someone give any insight/suggestions that checking my ground cables, and even adding a ground being the viable solution?

To give more clarity on that issue that happened 2 weeks ago, it was super hot that day (over 110 degrees here in the L.A. area during a week-long heat wave which we rarely get) and I was driving regularly on the highway with the A/C on, radar detector connected to the cigarette lighter, and dashcam on which is hardwired.

Any input is greatly appreciated...
First, I can understand your frustration. Troubleshooting electrical gremlins is the worst. While adding another ground cable has helped many people with the slow crank on a hot engine - that solution has not fixed all electrical gremblins that people have had. However, it is such an easy and cheap thing to do you have nothing to loose. By adding the ground cable you will know for a fact that you have a good engine to body ground. That is never a bad thing. Our Camaros are finicky beasts when it comes to voltage and any fluctuations of voltage seem to cause fits with the ECU and the BCM,

My suggestion is to add the ground cable and then check every modification you've made (E85, dash cam - etc.) to see if you have a bad connection. Have the local mechanic also load test that battery and check the alternator output again. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:51 AM   #280
305_to_310

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
First, I can understand your frustration. Troubleshooting electrical gremlins is the worst. While adding another ground cable has helped many people with the slow crank on a hot engine - that solution has not fixed all electrical gremblins that people have had. However, it is such an easy and cheap thing to do you have nothing to loose. By adding the ground cable you will know for a fact that you have a good engine to body ground. That is never a bad thing. Our Camaros are finicky beasts when it comes to voltage and any fluctuations of voltage seem to cause fits with the ECU and the BCM,

My suggestion is to add the ground cable and then check every modification you've made (E85, dash cam - etc.) to see if you have a bad connection. Have the local mechanic also load test that battery and check the alternator output again. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.

Not a problem and much appreciated for your input! I'll definitely have him check all of those things. He's a former service tech with a local Chevy dealership and shortly after I wrote my post last night he sent me an email pretty much confirming how common of an issue ground cables were on a lot of the 6th gen Camaros he's worked on. It begs to question why the hell there hasn't been a recall . Anyways, thanks again for your input and this gives me the confidence to finally crack down on my issue.
MODS: GM Cold Air Intake, GM Strut Brace, E85 Flex Fuel Kit, HP Tuners MPVI 2, Custom E85/91 Tune by Ben Charles (HP Tuners senior member), NPP Dual Performance Exhaust, cat + muffler delete, Elite Engineering Catch Can, ZL1 Spoiler w/Wicker bill
305_to_310 is offline   Reply With Quote