Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
tlr3715

Drives: 2002 Z28, 2023 1LT RS Redline
Remove a Spoiler

Turns out I am actually number eight on the waiting list at my local dealer and they don’t even have allocation yet, so now am back to considering lot cars out of state.

I found one I like but has the blade spoiler that I don’t personally prefer. Is it possible to remove that spoiler or would the paint be messed up underneath or would there be holes in the body/trunk?
tlr3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
The paint would be fine, but the blade spoiler mounting holes aren’t in the same location as an ss or zl1 type spoiler so you would either need a bodyshop to fill them, or get a new decklid.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
tlr3715

Drives: 2002 Z28, 2023 1LT RS Redline
Figured. Appreciate the info. I would actually prefer to go without a spoiler at all. (Looking at LT1 trims) would it just be the trunk that has holes or would it also be the rear of the car? The spoiler on it now extends past the trunk.
tlr3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #4
vampire

Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr3715 View Post
Figured. Appreciate the info. I would actually prefer to go without a spoiler at all. (Looking at LT1 trims) would it just be the trunk that has holes or would it also be the rear of the car? The spoiler on it now extends past the trunk.
top of the trunk only
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:24 AM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
The little side pieces are held by 3m tape only.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:26 PM   #6
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr3715 View Post
Turns out I am actually number eight on the waiting list at my local dealer and they don’t even have allocation yet, so now am back to considering lot cars out of state.

I found one I like but has the blade spoiler that I don’t personally prefer. Is it possible to remove that spoiler or would the paint be messed up underneath or would there be holes in the body/trunk?
Find someone that has a same color car that desires the blade spoiler and trade trunk lids.
fj5gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Trading trunk lids would probably be the easiest, and I imagine cheapest, although I believe the true body pros on this forum would tell you that the paint technically wouldn't be ***EXACTLY*** the same, since it wasn't all painted at the same time, and that could allow for micro differences under the differing circumstances.

Am I right, true body pros on this forum? :-)

Would this be enough to ruin the look? Could you even notice? Probably not, but the worry would be that, if you ever DID happen to notice, say in a certain light or from some oddball angle, well, then you might never be able to NOT see it the next time you look...

Anyway, a data point of sorts: I have a convertible, and I want to remove both the stanchion spoiler and the Sirius antenna from the trunk lid, for that "boattail" look. (Functionally, to me, the idea of a stanchion spoiler on a droptop is a bit silly.)

A local dealership, which did some pretty agreeable mechanical work for me a little while back, wanted $1,100 for the job. This is definitely a couple of bucks but would, at any rate, hopefully assure that any broken parts (or other randoms) could be repaired easily and quickly with readily available OEM stuff.

Next, a deep check at a very reputable body shop said they could do it for something in the mid-$700 range. Even better!

Keep in mind that this is in Knoxville, TN, so your NY/LI prices would probs be higher. OTOH, I was also talking about the Sirius antenna, not just the trunk spoiler, so that's fewer holes and maybe fewer bucks.

Keep us posted here or shoot me a PM with your results!
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote