#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #337
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
i have to look at it again, but i think i didnt use stealth cause it may have closed it beyond the 3k rpm threshold i desired.

I will say in Track mode my exhaust gets really deep! I will try to get some audio soon. Not sure how well my cell phone will pick up the differences.

I will also say i think the tuning of the valves was made more complicated then needed. Why do we need a table for Open and a separate for Closed? Seems like the possibility of causing a tuning conflict increases if not paying attention. With one table if set to close 70% lets say at 1k rpm, then we know 30% is left open. Why the second table?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Stealth keeps the valves closed under all conditions even Wot.

I setup touring so it keeps the valves closed under all conditions below 4k rpm. That way you never need to use stealth and if you happen to go wot the valves will still open and not put any strain on the system.

I set sport to not close until 10th gear below 3k rpm. That way when you are highway cruising the valves are closed and you can crank the tunes up without fighting the exhaust note.

Track I set to never close under any conditions.
This is actually really good info to move forward with as I'm probably going to pick up the credits to tune the FSCM (not the CCM, that was my screw up in previous post) here this next month.

I don't know why they would allow the valves to be open 30% in stealth, but I do notice that mine doesn't fully close up and allows some exhaust to escape out of the "loud" side.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust it almost seems like tuning of the NPP valves is almost mandatory in order to really make the most out of your setup and to have complete control over the way the valves behave which seems to me that GM tuned with sort of funky.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #338
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Bringing this back alive... I just removed my cats, its loud .

My Setup

2" Kooks Headers
3" Borla Cat back w/Stype Mufflers

My question is, what kind of fabrication is needed to fit the magnaflow in place of the 2x pipes that come with the borla kit for each bank? Almost seems like by looking at the lenth of the magnaflow and the straight pipes it might be a simple swap?

If anyone has similiar setup let me know. Thanks.. I have the magnaflow in the garage.

Was this still loud even in touring or stealth mode? I thought that was the point of having the exhaust valves to control the sound level.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #339
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Was this still loud even in touring or stealth mode? I thought that was the point of having the exhaust valves to control the sound level.
If you compare having cats and removing them the decibel increase was across the board. When valves closed it was still substantially louder then when I had cats on it, same when valves were open.

There’s quite a bit of decibel difference between open and closed in both cases. The problem wasn’t with the valves, Just removing the cats it was just too loud.

High pitched and raspy too. I would say on stealth it was tolerable, but any throttle when valves are open you can hear me a mile away.

It’s just too much with headers no cats, full 3” exhaust and an aggressive muffler.

Some guys like it obnoxious like that, I’m Over that. My car is still loud but at lower rpm’s and throttle it’s much more tolerable.

Honestly having the cats is pretty much like adding decent resonators like the mbrp ones, changes the tone and lowers decibels a bit.

I actually added them when I had no choice after blowing 3 cats but removed them after adding the gen 2’s because I thought it got too quiet

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #340
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
If you compare having cats and removing them the decibel increase was across the board. When valves closed it was still substantially louder then when I had cats on it, same when valves were open.

There’s quite a bit of decibel difference between open and closed in both cases. The problem wasn’t with the valves, Just removing the cats it was just too loud.

High pitched and raspy too. I would say on stealth it was tolerable, but any throttle when valves are open you can hear me a mile away.

It’s just too much with headers no cats, full 3” exhaust and an aggressive muffler.

Some guys like it obnoxious like that, I’m Over that. My car is still loud but at lower rpm’s and throttle it’s much more tolerable.

Honestly having the cats is pretty much like adding decent resonators like the mbrp ones, changes the tone and lowers decibels a bit.

I actually added them when I had no choice after blowing 3 cats but removed them after adding the gen 2’s because I thought it got too quiet
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:00 PM   #341
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
25 pages and finally got an idea of what route to go with, I'll be going with the JonesMF2469, using Amazon as Zoh6 did. My exhaust option is probably different than most around... Stock headers, New Era Cat delete (all4), Speed engineering X pipe into a Corsa sport axle back. The speed engineering Xpipe has the x right in the middle so I'm guessing the MF will take the place of the current X. Will get it welded in hopefully before too long.

After the cats were deleted and SE xpipe installed....First start up and it barked loud and very aggressive. On the first drive it was somewhat enjoyable scaring the shit out of people but I got in the car the second time and I found myself barely touching the gas so it wasn't obnoxiously loud.

I'll try and get a before and after video of the difference in sound. Good thread and lots of useful info in here.

2022 zl1 740hp / 730tq stolen
2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #342
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
In case you missed this...search Amazon for "Jones Exhaust 5X8OVAL18 MUF24 OVRALL"
then select more buying choices (62.34). Be sure to select the one from Verocious Motorsports. According to the prior posts, these guys have the correct one.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #343
WillyZ83

I used the link you posted as a matter of fact. I then asked around some more and found some Kooks Green cats that I'm picking up. Thanks Grampa

2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
Old 11-07-2022, 07:05 PM   #344
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Please post up sounds clips and videos planning on going with some headers and intake in December

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:58 AM   #345
WillyZ83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
Please post up sounds clips and videos planning on going with some headers and intake in December
Will do, if you check my Instagram, you’ll see a few videos of startup videos of the current Catless setup. I should have the kooks installed by Thursday and will update the thread

Old 11-08-2022, 05:31 AM   #346
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZ83 View Post
Will do, if you check my Instagram, you’ll see a few videos of startup videos of the current Catless setup. I should have the kooks installed by Thursday and will update the thread
You will still have a deep throaty tone with the Kooks cats, but it won't have any of the nasty resonance that you get with a catless setup and of course no more stink.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #347
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I currently have the Magnaflow muffler, I can do a before sound clip and then an after sound clip when I get the Jones muffler installed. It might be a week or two though, my exhaust guy is also a baseball coach and heavily into the season traveling around the southeast right
Hi ZOH6,
Did you ever get a chance to do some before and after sound clips? If so, would you mind throwing them up so we can hear what that Jones system sounds like compared to the magna flow? Thanks brother
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #348
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
Hi ZOH6,
Did you ever get a chance to do some before and after sound clips? If so, would you mind throwing them up so we can hear what that Jones system sounds like compared to the magna flow? Thanks brother
I did not do a before and after but I can tell you I was not happy with the sound after the Jones muffler install. I was actually happier with the previous Magnaflow muffler even though it was probably more restrictive. It still sounded raspy and "sloppy" is the best description I can give you with the Jones muffler installed. I really really hated it. I've come to the conclusion that these cars just don't sound that good with cats removed so I went back to a high flow cat setup. High flow cats really clean up the exhaust tone, remove the raspyness and obviously get rid of the obnoxious fumes. I will not pursue running this car without the cats anymore unless it was a 100% drag car. It costs more to use a high flow cat setup but the benefits are worth it to me. My exhaust guy teases me because I tried so many different combinations of mufflers and resonators trying to make it sound right without the cats. I gave up.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #349
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
S*#T!!!! I just ordered the Jones X today. But, after reading through your post, it’s got me thinking that I need to cancel it. In any case, did you end up keeping the Jones muffler after adding the high flow cats back to your set up? If so, would you mind throwing a sound clip up of how it sounds now? Thanks bro
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #350
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE'Z 18 View Post
S*#T!!!! I just ordered the Jones X today. But, after reading through your post, it’s got me thinking that I need to cancel it. In any case, did you end up keeping the Jones muffler after adding the high flow cats back to your set up? If so, would you mind throwing a sound clip up of how it sounds now? Thanks bro
Nope, I ditched the Jones muffler and went back to my original setup of Kooks headers, Kooks high flow cats, and AWE resonated touring catback exhaust. Very happy with it again.