Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-01-2022, 02:16 AM   #1
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Switch '19+ front/rear fascias to '16-18 style: The de-fresh (DIY summary)

You can de-fresh a sixth gen!

Here is my "2021/18" RS, Liquid Steel

Name:  SM COOL FRONT IMG_20220707_191341~2.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  198.1 KB

Intro

If you have a 2019 or later Camaro and prefer the 2016-2018 front end, back end, or both, you will want to read on!

Apologies for this post being a bit lighter than a full-on DIY. It will not walk you through every step and detail of a "de-fresh" (my term for swapping 2016-2018 front and rear fascias onto a 2019+ sixth gen). But the DIY forum seemed like a good place to share a summary overview of my de-fresh project. I have posted more de-fresh photos (with explanatory captions) in my D-FRESH photo album, and I include some links to specific photos below.

My de-fresh specifically involved a 2021 3LT RS, so be prepared for other potential hurdles if you are working with a different trim.

Name:  SM REAR QUARTER IMG_20220625_143151~2.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  136.3 KB

Why de-fresh?

Whether you de-fresh the front, rear, or both, it will primarily be "for your eyes only" - because what you end up with looks identical to a 2016-2018 Camaro (or nearly so, for the front end). But if you hate the refresh changes as much as I did, a de-fresh may well be worth the time and effort! I will admit that it feels a bit odd to be driving a customized car that doesn't shout "look at me" - normally our cosmetic modifications are intended to attract attention. But a core concept of the de-fresh was to look as "factory" as possible. I think my de-fresh succeeded in that regard, and now I have a 2021 Camaro that looks (to me) just like a sixth gen RS should!

On the flip side, my de-fresh might also help chart the way forward for someone who would like to switch a '16-18 Camaro to the '19+ look.

Name:  SM FRONT QUARTER IMG_20220625_125202~2.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  164.3 KB

The Back End

Before and after:

Name:  SM REAR BEFORE 2021 rear crop IMG_20210117_140705.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  46.0 KBName:  SM REAR AFTER IMG_20220620_121508~2.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  49.4 KB

This is the "easy" end. In fact, if you don't have the high-trim-level backup sensors, the rear de-fresh is just a parts swap.

2016-2018 parts needed
* rear bumper cover (fascia)
* diffuser (optional, 19+ diffuser fits too)
* plastic "absorber" that mounts inside rear fascia
* LED tail lamps
* taillight mounting brackets
* Gen5DIY wiring harnesses to adapt tail lamps

Misc trim and body clips or fasteners may be needed, or perhaps can be transferred over from the 2019+ parts that are being removed.

Modifications needed
None, other than to remove the 2019+ parts and reinstall the 2016-2018 parts, unless you have the backup sensors.

The diameter of the backup sensors was changed in 2019. I posted some photos (L, R) in my D-FRESH album to give you an idea of what the shop did to fit the 2021 sensors to the holes in the '16-18 rear bumper cover. I did not try connecting the '16-18 sensors to the 2021 wiring harness, to avoid warranty issues, so I do not know if that would be an alternative approach. I just kept the complete 2021 bumper wiring harness. It needed to be removed from the refresh plastic absorber and attached to the '16-18 plastic absorber that mounts inside the bumper.

Diffuser options
Since I did not have a new-condition '16-18 LT diffuser available, I decided to just use the 2021 RS diffuser. There was a minor incompatibility encountered as a result - the tabs at the upper corners of the 2021 diffuser did not snap into the '16-18 plastic absorber that mounts inside the rear bumper cover, which caused there to be a small gap between the diffuser and bumper cover on the driver's side. Small cut-outs were made in the '16-18 absorber to allow the 2021 diffuser to mount flush against the rear bumper cover.

The Front End

Before and after:

Name:  SM FRONT BEFORE IMG_20210117_140836.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  57.9 KBName:  SM FRONT AFTER IMG_20220625_143223~2.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  44.2 KB

Oh yeah! No more refresh "smiley face" look - Liquid Steel has its "war face" back.

2016-2018 parts needed
* hood
* front bumper cover (fascia)
* styrofoam "energy absorber" insert (but see note below)
* upper and lower grilles
* Gen5DIY wiring harness for daytime running lights (optional)

Misc trim and body clips or fasteners may be needed, or perhaps can be transferred over from the 2019+ parts that are being removed.

Modifications needed
Because 2019+ models changed to computer control of the RS-style headlights, Gen5DIY advised me that it was not possible to swap over the '16-18 headlights. A bodywork solution was therefore required to make the refresh headlights fit into the '16-18 fascia. I posted photos in my D-FRESH album showing the modified upper grille and trim pieces that fit under the 2019+ RS-style headlights.

One styling note regarding the altered plastic trim pieces that fit under the headlights. As originally installed on a 19+ car, these trim pieces follow the inboard curvature of the headlights. On my de-fresh car, the trim pieces were adjusted so that they better align with the horizontal lines of the center grille (L, R photos). The shop achieved this by shimming the trim pieces at the inboard ends where screws had been added to help secure these trim pieces.

In hindsight, I would have probably gone with a non-RS grille for the upper grille - the shortened chrome trim pieces don't work as well here as they did in the '16-18 where the chrome ran all the way between both headlights. So I will probably be blacking out these two chrome strips in the upper grille. [I did end up making this update - see this post for photos of the result: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=15]

The 2019+ models use a differently shaped styrofoam "absorber" insert than the '16-18 models. This is a long styorfoam piece that goes somewhere in between the metal inner bumper and the fascia. The 2021 absorber would not fit the older fascia correctly. I am not 100% sure and do not have pictures, but I believe the shop mentioned that the '16-18 styrofoam absorber might have had to be trimmed/modified slightly.

I hadn't noticed that my 2021 RS lacked the separate daytime running lights that the '16-18 models have. You could leave the '16-18 LT DRL's non-functioning, or maybe even black them out to match the plastic trim. However, if you go with the Gen5DIY wiring harness to make the DRL's functional, you will need to modify the under-hood fuse box cover so you can run the power wire for the fuse tap.

Name:  Screenshot_2023-06-22-08-31-10-90_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  294.1 KB

Thanks!

Thanks to the various forum members who (sometimes unknowingly) helped me along the way with this crazy project, to Camaro6 for being an awesome resource, and to Gen5DIY for their invaluable technical assistance and custom wiring harnesses!

If you have questions about the de-fresh, let me know!
Attached Images

Last edited by The Maverick; 06-22-2023 at 10:33 AM.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Nice work
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #3
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
That's awesome! Even Chevrolet realized they made a huge mistake with the 2019 front end. Honestly why my search list skipped the 2019s when I was looking. Well done!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Ok so I followed your other thread on this…and your car looks great. You asked if anyone had questions, and I do. How much did you take out of pocket to make this work?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:05 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Ok so I followed your other thread on this…and your car looks great. You asked if anyone had questions, and I do. How much did you take out of pocket to make this work?
...before OP chimes in, a likely answer is "you don't wanna know"

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #6
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
...before OP chimes in, a likely answer is "you don't wanna know"
Oh, I do want to know…maybe he doesn’t want to share and that’s OK . But, if he’s going to share every detail about the refresh, then ask if there’s any questions, that would seem to be fair game. Especially for someone that wants to emulate his mod. Like I said, it looks great… so if the $ works for him, its not my place or anyone else’s to judge. I’ve spent tons of $ on things I like, that others think are silly (IE home stereo system)…and I don’t care!!!
Old 09-07-2022, 11:09 PM   #7
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Oh, I do want to know…maybe he doesn’t want to share and that’s OK . But, if he’s going to share every detail about the refresh, then ask if there’s any questions, that would seem to be fair game. Especially for someone that wants to emulate his mod. Like I said, it looks great… so if the $ works for him, its not my place or anyone else’s to judge. I’ve spent tons of $ on things I like, that others think are silly (IE home stereo system)…and I don’t care!!!
Heh, I totally hear you, just wanted to lighten the mood a bit I'm a big fan of anyone who takes on an ambitious project like this and powers through it. (And, for the record, if I had something newer than a 2018, I'd do the exact same thing as OP.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

Old 09-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Heh, I totally hear you, just wanted to lighten the mood a bit I'm a big fan of anyone who takes on an ambitious project like this and powers through it. (And, for the record, if I had something newer than a 2018, I'd do the exact same thing as OP.)
I love the project and the initiative - seeing someone take on an ambitious project... but I think the '19+ look better, more aggressive and less Chevy Malibu / Chevy Equinoxy.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #9
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
I love the project and the initiative - seeing someone take on an ambitious project... but I think the '19+ look better, more aggressive and less Chevy Malibu / Chevy Equinoxy.
I’m giving the nose a big thumbs up. As far as the backside, I prefer the 19+, but have no problem with 16-18 style. Like I said earlier, looks great.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #10
The Maverick

Thanks all for the comments! And I definitely anticipated that someone would ask about the cost.

Let's just say that the project cost me more than I wanted it to, but the result was still worth every penny!

Also, I'm pretty sure my total out-of-pocket figure would (hopefully) not be representative since I was paving the way on a project that we weren't even certain could be done at the outset. There are definitely DIY steps where costs could be cut, now that I know what I know! Hopefully my post will help others do their own de-fresh as economically as possible.

So more important than what mine cost (ouch, do I have to think about that again?) is what yours might cost, right?

My total parts cost, which I think does offer a representative estimate on what the hardware end of the project might cost you, was right around $1,500. Here's the breakdown on that figure.

The front and rear fascias and hood (all second-hand) cost me a total of $850 (plus they included the associated styrofoam and absorber internals I ended up needing). The two wiring harnesses from Gen5DIY (taillights and DRL's, you might not need the latter) totaled just under $200. Two taillight brackets were $56 at the local parts counter. I got the RS upper grille (new condition, in box) off eBay for $128. The lower RS grille came from the local parts counter for around $200 (it was cheaper from the online parts sources, but shipping quotes were a deal-killer). [Note that I needed these grilles because the used front fascia I bought had aftermarket grilles in it. As noted in the writeup, I probably should have gone with a non-RS grille for the upper one given how the chrome trim ended up being shortened. I'll be blacking out those two "chrome" pieces.] The LED taillights were brand new takeoffs I found via eBay for $90, shipped. I bought these before I even had my '21 - my first parts purchase for the de-fresh project!

Parts costs will be offset if you end up selling your original body panels, etc.

You should be able to guesstimate shop labor costs as follows: Figure time to remove and replace the front and rear fascias and absorbers, hood, and taillights (plus swapping over marker lights, wiring, etc., as necessary).

As for the custom modifying/fitting the three upper grille pieces and (if equipped) the backup sensors - maybe no more than 1.5 hours?

Then there are materials and labor for prepping and painting a hood, front and rear fascias, and upper grille pieces. You save on painting costs if you can obtain color-matched body panels (not possible for me, since satin steel was introduced on the 2019's).

Somebody here affiliated with a body shop might be able to offer the "standard" time estimates for these items - and broken down by front and rear would be most helpful, since it is possible to do a "half-defresh."

Last edited by The Maverick; 11-20-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Thanks all for the comments! And I definitely anticipated that someone would ask about the cost.

Let's just say that the project cost me more than I wanted it to, but the result was still worth every penny!

Also, I'm pretty sure my total out-of-pocket figure would (hopefully) not be representative since I was paving the way on a project that we weren't even certain could be done at the outset. There are definitely DIY steps where costs could be cut, now that I know what I know! One of the reasons for my de-fresh writeup was to hopefully help people figure out how to do their own as economically as possible.

So more important than what mine cost (ouch, do I have to think about that again?) is what yours might cost, right?

My total parts cost, which I think does offer a representative estimate on what the hardware end of the project might cost you, was right around $1,500. Here's the breakdown on that figure.

The front and rear fascias and hood (all second-hand) cost me a total of $850 (plus they included the associated styrofoam and absorber internals I ended up needing). The two wiring harnesses from Gen5DIY (taillights and DRL's, you might not need the latter) totaled just under $200. Two taillight brackets were $56 at the local parts counter. I got the RS upper grille (new condition, in box) off eBay for $128. The lower RS grille came from the local parts counter for around $200 (it was cheaper from the online parts sources, but shipping quotes were a deal-killer). [Note that I needed these grilles because the used front fascia I bought had aftermarket grilles in it. As noted in the writeup, I probably should have gone with a non-RS grille for the upper one given how the chrome trim ended up being shortened. I'll be blacking out those two "chrome" pieces.] The LED taillights were brand new takeoffs I found via eBay for $90, shipped. I bought these before I even had my '21 - my first parts purchase for the de-fresh project!

Parts costs will be offset if you end up selling your original body panels, etc.

You should be able to guesstimate shop labor costs as follows: Figure time to remove and replace the front and rear fascias and absorbers, hood, and taillights (plus swapping over marker lights, wiring, etc., as necessary).

As for the custom modifying/fitting the three upper grille pieces and (if equipped) the backup sensors - maybe no more than 1.5 hours?

Then there are materials and labor for prepping and painting a hood, front and rear fascias, and upper grille pieces. You save on painting costs if you can obtain color-matched body panels (not possible for me, since satin steel was introduced on the 2019's).

Somebody here affiliated with a body shop might be able to offer the "standard" time estimates for these items - and broken down by front and rear would be most helpful, since it is possible to do a "half-defresh."
Great follow up! The parts were actually cheaper than I thought they’d be.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #12
bereic

Drives: Camaro SS 2018 Convertible
Hello
Do you know if the 19-22 SS Headlights would fit in a 2018 SS?
I'm planning the opposite way. :-)
bereic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #13
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereic View Post
Hello
I doubt the new ones would be a direct fit, they're full LED and not HID+LED, so there must be significant electrical differences even if the headlight unit itself would fit mechanically, which I also haven't been able to check personally.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #14
The Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereic View Post
Hello
Per GEN5DIY, there was an incompatibility in the refresh RS headlights (computer control) that prevented a ready swap back to the old 2016-2018 style RS headlights. I am not sure if that incompatibility prevents the swap in the opposite direction that you are proposing - so I would suggest reaching out to GEN5DIY to see what they say!