Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #323
Ivanscamaro2016ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro ss
Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Like many I have dealt with a slow crank on a hot start pretty much since one year of ownership until now. So that is for about 3.5 years. 1.5 years ago the dealership replaced the battery under warranty for this issue. That kicked the can down the street for about a year. So, for the last 6 months I've been dealing once again with slow cranking on a hot engine.

I saw four paths to follow to attack this problem:
- add a new ground cable
- replace the starter
- replace the battery again
- sell the car

I decided last week to take the path of least resistance and add a new ground cable. So, I spent $40.00 to get one from Lethal Garage. I didn't have high hopes but miracles of miracles - it worked. I have driven the car about 8 times since adding the cable and I have not had anything even close to a slow crank on a hot engine. I have tried to make it happen by adding in short stops with each drive. Today I had four short stops and restarts in one trip. It cranked fine every time. Prior to adding the new ground cable I wouldn't have dared try that! Its the best $40.00 I have ever spent on this car.

If you too are dealing with this - I highly recommend you try adding a new ground cable.

Here is a cold start:
[https://youtu.be/n8Honktafms]

Here is the first hot start:
[https://youtu.be/Z_cqf_TfAm4]

Here is the second hot start:
[https://youtu.be/nyA-AfeJCmk]

I didn't add videos for the 3rd and 4th hot start as they were the same as the first two.

This video shows where I added the new ground cable:
[https://youtu.be/x1Q0s1vw9a8]

Edit: I just went back and listened this video and realized I failed to mention that the engine bolt I used is part of the serpentine belt system. I didn't take the bolt all the way out. I just loosened it and then cut a small piece out of the ear of the lug and slid the lug under the bolt and tightened it down. If you take the bolt out all the way you will lose tension on the belt.

Update 12/30/20: With the saying in mind that if one is good then two would be better - I added another ground. This time I took on the other end of the car and added another ground from the battery's negative post to the floor of the trunk. This cable is a little smaller (2.0 guage) and I bought it off of Amazon for $14.00. I placed the body end of the ground on a unused threaded stud sticking up out of the trunk floor (look to the lower far left in the photo). I have no idea if another ground is helpful and needed . I just added it for peace of mind - plus it was easy and cheap.

Please pay attention to the edit I added with the last video on cable location for the engine ground. Do not remove the belt tensioner bolt I used. If you do you will lose tension on the serpentine belt. Instead cut a small piece out of the cable's terminal lug making it look like a U and then slide it under the bolt. You can back that bolt out enough to slide the lug under it and tighten.

I continue to have normal starts whether the engine is cold or hot.

Attachment 1054234

Thank you man I’ve been dealing with this for over a year now and I copied the same way you did it and works like new , I couldn’t go to places without Turing off my car but now i can turn on and off whenever !
Ivanscamaro2016ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #324
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanscamaro2016ss View Post
Thank you man I’ve been dealing with this for over a year now and I copied the same way you did it and works like new , I couldn’t go to places without Turing off my car but now i can turn on and off whenever !
That’s great! So glad this helped you. Since I first started this thread I have added one more thing I do. I now keep my car’s battery on a charger any time the car is going to sit for a couple of days. I only drive it 1-2 times per week. I do this as I’ve found keeping the battery fully charged really compliments the ground cable to make the hot start anxiety go away.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #325
jacogoodman

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I tried installing the same way OP did by cutting a slot in the ear and sliding the cable under the same serpentine belt bolt, but when I attempted to tighten that bolt back in to spec it destroyed the end of the cable. I'm gonna order a new one, but is there a good alternate location that I can attach the cable to this time?
Attached Images

jacogoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:10 PM   #326
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacogoodman View Post
I tried installing the same way OP did by cutting a slot in the ear and sliding the cable under the same serpentine belt bolt, but when I attempted to tighten that bolt back in to spec it destroyed the end of the cable. I'm gonna order a new one, but is there a good alternate location that I can attach the cable to this time?
Browse this thread. I know it’s several pages long but there are several examples that others have illustrated showing alternate locations.

Just curious - how much torque did you put on that bolt? I tightened mine by feel - no torque wrench used. I haven’t needed to touch that bolt in three years.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:37 PM   #327
jacogoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Browse this thread. I know it’s several pages long but there are several examples that others have illustrated showing alternate locations.

Just curious - how much torque did you put on that bolt? I tightened mine by feel - no torque wrench used. I haven’t needed to touch that bolt in three years.
Found this document online that says 43 ft-lbs
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2023, 09:52 AM   #328
jacogoodman

Update: Instead of ordering a new cable I cut off the damaged ring terminal and took it to an audio electronics store where they put a new ring terminal on for only $6. Then I put in on the water pump using a 1/2 inch longer bolt like the other posts have talked about. So far it's worked great. Thank you to everyone on this thread!
Attached Images