Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #43
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I have never seen somebody so butt hurt over a supercharger choice...get over it already.
I can’t believe 2 years later he’s still on this subject. I had to
Block Him on FB because the nonsense wouldn’t stop there either.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #44
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I completely disagree as well.

If you watch Bill Wise around the Nurburgring in the 1LE, he shifts from 4th to 5th gear in the low to mid 130s, hit 167 mph in 5th and topped out at 177 mph in 6th. The A10 ZL1 around the ring hit a top speed of 180 on the same straight away. The 3 mph difference can easily be attributed to the difference in aero and/or weather conditions. So please explain how the M6 is such a dog at higher speeds.
As I said numerous times, the 6speed is more fun to drive but you can’t deny the 10sp is still faster.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single one beat the 10sp at the track power for power. The shift from 4th to 5th is nothing desirable either.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 06-24-2022, 09:04 PM   #45
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedAway View Post
Getting this car in auto is a waste, just get a C8. C8 doesn’t come in manual, they’re also a dying breed.

Auto is a lot less engaging, does everything for you.
I will agree that it is less engaging than a manual but the A10 is actually quite entertaining for an auto since it senses the way you drive, will hold gears and has a pretty cool performance shift mode that will hold the rpm up around 4000 rpm with rev matched downshifts as you brake. The fact that you enable it with a quick tap of the accelerator is pretty cool.

Then as other mentioned, with all those gears tightly spaced the A10 keeps you in the sweet spot of the power band enabling you to extract all the power the LT4 has to offer. Lastly, you can have some fun with the paddles if the mood strikes but it is a lot of gears to manage on the street. You are better off letting it shift on its own.

One of the big struggles I have with M6 in the ZL1 is that while the M6 is more engaging, the A10 is so good that you have to give up quite a bit of performance if you go M6. Based on the times below, the ZL1 M6 is not much quicker than an SS M6?

So, if I make the switch back to an M6 at some point I think the shorter gearing in the SS 1LE would be more fun on the street while not giving up that much performance. While the ZL1 M6 has a lot more power I assume the taller gearing doesn't make it feel much faster from a seat of the pants perspective. The A10 just feels fast everywhere as it rips through the gears.

it is nice that we still have options but probably not for much longer.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.42.52 PM.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.42.17 PM.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  122.2 KB
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #46
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
OP, I've tried both the A10 and the M6. In this car, I would most definitely go M6 without hesitation. Yes the A10 is nice and a great transmission but when driving the M6 version...my God I fell in love. It was so much more entertaining. Check out this short video as it really makes you feel you want the manual version.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPeSluP8jLM
Thanks, I have seen this video. Best pov for sure.

Realistically, how bad is 1st gear in ZL1 M6 vs. an SS? I have owned manuals in both the C7 Grand Sport and Camaro SS but I always hear complaints about the tall 1st gear in the M6 in the ZL1. I hear you have to slip the clutch pretty good to get it moving. Just wondering if it is really as bad as it is made out to be.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 PM   #47
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post

Realistically, how bad is 1st gear in ZL1 M6 vs. an SS? I have owned manuals in both the C7 Grand Sport and Camaro SS but I always hear complaints about the tall 1st gear in the M6 in the ZL1. I hear you have to slip the clutch pretty good to get it moving. Just wondering if it is really as bad as it is made out to be.

I remember when I drove a 2018 SS 1LE M6 and it was fun but felt like it could use more punch. With the M6 ZL1, the punch that I was looking for was there. I get that both cars have different gearing but first gear in the Z is not bad at all. You can still have some fun and go through the gears on the street. It’s not like it’s useless and that’s it… no fun to it. You definitely will have a lot of fun with it.

The A10 ZL1 is obviously faster than the M6 ZL1 since it will shift faster but between the two I was honestly catching feelings for the M6 in the Z lol. The whole engagement with the clutch, shifter, rev match, etc. is great. The A10 is good in its own way and depends on the individual’s preference and what they do with the car but the M6 I swear just suits me. I can’t say anything bad about the A10 but to me it felt like you know….the car is driving and ok…..but I’d prefer the M6 for the engagement and fun factor especially in a sports car.

I believe the 2017-2018 ZL1 cars had the bog issue but when I drove a 2019 ZL1 there was no issue on the start from first gear. I don’t think there was an issue with having to slip the clutch pretty good to get it moving, it felt very easy to drive and was seriously fine.

I can understand you’d like to hear opinions from everyone to get a general idea and I get that. Honestly all the answers and curious questions that you have will be answered once you get the feel for it. Try the M6 if you can find one around you and try everything that people may say about it and see how the transmission feels to you. I can’t say bad things about neither transmissions but I would just definitely prefer the M6 in the Z.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #48
raptor5244

Quote:
I remember when I drove a 2018 SS 1LE M6 and it was fun but felt like it could use more punch. With the M6 ZL1, the punch that I was looking for was there. I get that both cars have different gearing but first gear in the Z is not bad at all. You can still have some fun and go through the gears on the street. It’s not like it’s useless and that’s it… no fun to it. You definitely will have a lot of fun with it.

The A10 ZL1 is obviously faster than the M6 ZL1 since it will shift faster but between the two I was honestly catching feelings for the M6 in the Z lol. The whole engagement with the clutch, shifter, rev match, etc. is great. The A10 is good in its own way and depends on the individual’s preference and what they do with the car but the M6 I swear just suits me. I can’t say anything bad about the A10 but to me it felt like you know….the car is driving and ok…..but I’d prefer the M6 for the engagement and fun factor especially in a sports car.

I believe the 2017-2018 ZL1 cars had the bog issue but when I drove a 2019 ZL1 there was no issue on the start from first gear. I don’t think there was an issue with having to slip the clutch pretty good to get it moving, it felt very easy to drive and was seriously fine.

I can understand you’d like to hear opinions from everyone to get a general idea and I get that. Honestly all the answers and curious questions that you have will be answered once you get the feel for it. Try the M6 if you can find one around you and try everything that people may say about it and see how the transmission feels to you. I can’t say bad things about neither transmissions but I would just definitely prefer the M6 in the Z.
Good stuff, thanks for the feedback. If money was no object I would probably have one of each. I was considering a swap from the A10 to M6 just for the fun of it but with the big $3,900 price increase for 2023 and interest rates doubling, and of course the depreciation hit on my current car, it is more than I want to pay. I have considered stepping down to a SS 1LE with the M6 but now that I am used to ZL1 power I feel I might regret the power loss even if the M6 in the SS 1LE is more engaging. That said, since this is a street car I can't really use the power of the ZL1 anyway, even though it is fun having it available at a moments notice. Tough decision.

I am also considering keeping the A10 ZL1 and maybe pick up a Miata or GR86 with a manual that I can thrash around. They are obviously very different when it comes to power but that also makes them a lot fun to wind out gears on the street.

And then there is option of waiting for the recession to take hold and see C8 Corvettes at MSRP become commonplace. Obviously no manual but experiencing the DCT, mid-engine driving dynamics, improved interior and visibility could be entertaining for a while.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 06-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #49
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I completely disagree as well.

If you watch Bill Wise around the Nurburgring in the 1LE, he shifts from 4th to 5th gear in the low to mid 130s, hit 167 mph in 5th and topped out at 177 mph in 6th. The A10 ZL1 around the ring hit a top speed of 180 on the same straight away. The 3 mph difference can easily be attributed to the difference in aero and/or weather conditions. So please explain how the M6 is such a dog at higher speeds.
You're comparing the standard ZL1 A10 to the 1LE M6 in those Nurburgring vids. The aero of the 1LE takes a little off the top end. Also the M6 has taller gearing ratios which is done for fuel economy and emissions. Yet, in spite of those trade offs, it still trounces the ZL1 A10 by several seconds.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #50
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:

Mine is horrible to move. It isn't my first manual, but I had to really pay attention to stop killing the engine. 3 months later I still can't start smoothly, 90% of time RPM dips from 1200 to 700-800 which makes it feel and sound like 60 HP grandma mobile. But once moving - OMG - never gonna sell it

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #51
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Because the A10 is faster the 6 speed is also a dog at higher speeds, the gearing is just bad. It’s fun to drive yes, but that’s where it ends.
Question: do you think that some gearing options for the rear end would mitigate the "dog" somewhat? And if so, do you see anything on the horizon? And, for what it's worth, doesn't the M6 hold its own on Nurburgring?
DSX Flex fuel/Low side
NW 103mm TB/Roto-Fab CAI
Monster S Series
Elite E2-X
2" TSP LT's
BMR:BK063, BK060,TCA061, UTCA060, UTCA063
Weld Beadlocks/17" NT5R2
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #52
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
Question: do you think that some gearing options for the rear end would mitigate the "dog" somewhat? And if so, do you see anything on the horizon? And, for what it's worth, doesn't the M6 hold its own on Nurburgring?
Not really. You will make the top end slower basically to account for the long shift from 4th to 5th. You can see the 6th speed struggle in many videos because it’s outside the power band range.

As far as the Nurburgring, how many of us are tracking our cars on a track like this? For me the answer is easy. If I was to be tracking my car on tracks like this I would pick the 6speed. If I’m looking for speed and to be the fastest I’m Going to choose the 10sp. The tight gear ratios have you in the power band every gear.

I’m also a bit older now, I drive my car a lot and sitting in traffic with a manual isn’t fun anymore.

Regardless staying on topic, the 10speed is just simply faster then the manual.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:09 AM   #53
Maro_89

Quote:
Good stuff, thanks for the feedback. If money was no object I would probably have one of each. I was considering a swap from the A10 to M6 just for the fun of it but with the big $3,900 price increase for 2023 and interest rates doubling, and of course the depreciation hit on my current car, it is more than I want to pay. I have considered stepping down to a SS 1LE with the M6 but now that I am used to ZL1 power I feel I might regret the power loss even if the M6 in the SS 1LE is more engaging. That said, since this is a street car I can't really use the power of the ZL1 anyway, even though it is fun having it available at a moments notice. Tough decision.

I am also considering keeping the A10 ZL1 and maybe pick up a Miata or GR86 with a manual that I can thrash around. They are obviously very different when it comes to power but that also makes them a lot fun to wind out gears on the street.

And then there is option of waiting for the recession to take hold and see C8 Corvettes at MSRP become commonplace. Obviously no manual but experiencing the DCT, mid-engine driving dynamics, improved interior and visibility could be entertaining for a while.

No problem man. I can see the pros and cons you’ve listed and the back and forth thoughts you’re having in your head lol and I understand. First off I totally hear ya on the price increase and all that as it is kinda ridiculous so I definitely feel it’s not worth you having to get out of your financial budget just to get into a whole new ZL1 with the M6. Even though the auto is not as engaging as the manual…I would definitely not step down to the M6 SS 1LE as like you mentioned I feel you would regret the power loss.

I’ve looked at M6 SS 1LEs before and then A10 ZL1’s and drove them both back to back. While the SS 1LE was more engaging and fun with the manual, I’d still would choose the ZL1 with the A10 because to me it’s just simply the top dog and the faster car with more potential. Nothing against the 1LE but most would definitely go for the ZL1 just like most would go for the Hellcat as opposed to the 392. With the fun from the M6 SS 1LE I drove and the power from the A10 ZL1, it’s no question for me an M6 ZL1 is the perfect combination.

I totally get that you can’t use the power all that much on the street with the ZL1 unless you have the occasional on and off ramp where you can floor the car (if no one is in front of you and you have the open space to do so) and there’s hardly any curvy roads in Florida. I’m not sure if you track your car but if you really want to make the most out of the power from your ZL1…then you definitely have to take the car to the track and race your heart out over there. Whether it’s the drag strip (perfect since you have an A10) and or the road course. You’ll be on the throttle all the time at the track and you won’t even feel like getting on it on the street as you’ve gotten it all out of your system at the track.

I duno where your located at in Florida but you have some ¼ tracks like in Gainesville, Orlando, and Bradenton. Unfortunately the PBIR track recently closed in South Florida. So us South Floridians have to go to the next nearest one which is Orlando Speedway in Orlando.

Now this is totally your decision but if I was you, I would definitely keep the A10 ZL1 and get a little side car with the manual. You won’t sacrifice the ZL1 for a lower trim Camaro and have the best of both worlds with the auto in the Z and a manual in your other vehicle to have fun with on the streets or wherever.

As for the C8, that’s totally up to you. I had a friend who had one and I drove it for a little while. It’s definitely a good little car and great in it’s own way but not really my cup of tea. I’m not really a fan of both the interior and exterior styling. It will not rival the power of the ZL1 and be as raw. I’d prefer the ZL1 IMO but it’s your decision and you could always get the feel for the cars and go from there. Hopefully this was helpful and maybe I’ve given you some well rounded guidance as to what I may see best fits your situation.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #54
raptor5244

Quote:
No problem man. I can see the pros and cons you’ve listed and the back and forth thoughts you’re having in your head lol and I understand. First off I totally hear ya on the price increase and all that as it is kinda ridiculous so I definitely feel it’s not worth you having to get out of your financial budget just to get into a whole new ZL1 with the M6. Even though the auto is not as engaging as the manual…I would definitely not step down to the M6 SS 1LE as like you mentioned I feel you would regret the power loss.

I’ve looked at M6 SS 1LEs before and then A10 ZL1’s and drove them both back to back. While the SS 1LE was more engaging and fun with the manual, I’d still would choose the ZL1 with the A10 because to me it’s just simply the top dog and the faster car with more potential. Nothing against the 1LE but most would definitely go for the ZL1 just like most would go for the Hellcat as opposed to the 392. With the fun from the M6 SS 1LE I drove and the power from the A10 ZL1, it’s no question for me an M6 ZL1 is the perfect combination.

I totally get that you can’t use the power all that much on the street with the ZL1 unless you have the occasional on and off ramp where you can floor the car (if no one is in front of you and you have the open space to do so) and there’s hardly any curvy roads in Florida. I’m not sure if you track your car but if you really want to make the most out of the power from your ZL1…then you definitely have to take the car to the track and race your heart out over there. Whether it’s the drag strip (perfect since you have an A10) and or the road course. You’ll be on the throttle all the time at the track and you won’t even feel like getting on it on the street as you’ve gotten it all out of your system at the track.

I duno where your located at in Florida but you have some ¼ tracks like in Gainesville, Orlando, and Bradenton. Unfortunately the PBIR track recently closed in South Florida. So us South Floridians have to go to the next nearest one which is Orlando Speedway in Orlando.

Now this is totally your decision but if I was you, I would definitely keep the A10 ZL1 and get a little side car with the manual. You won’t sacrifice the ZL1 for a lower trim Camaro and have the best of both worlds with the auto in the Z and a manual in your other vehicle to have fun with on the streets or wherever.

As for the C8, that’s totally up to you. I had a friend who had one and I drove it for a little while. It’s definitely a good little car and great in it’s own way but not really my cup of tea. I’m not really a fan of both the interior and exterior styling. It will not rival the power of the ZL1 and be as raw. I’d prefer the ZL1 IMO but it’s your decision and you could always get the feel for the cars and go from there. Hopefully this was helpful and maybe I’ve given you some well rounded guidance as to what I may see best fits your situation.
Thanks for the feedback. As car enthusiasts we are never really satisfied.

I plan to stick with the ZL1 and pickup something small and lightweight that is manual and toss-able. I drove the C8 on track and it handled fantastic but I can see how it could get boring on the street.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 06-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #55
Maro_89

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. As car enthusiasts we are never really satisfied.

I plan to stick with the ZL1 and pickup something small and lightweight that is manual and toss-able. I drove the C8 on track and it handled fantastic but I can see how it could get boring on the street.
Sounds like a plan. Good choice. 👍
Old 06-26-2022, 08:53 PM   #56
raptor5244

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Good choice. 👍
I just got back from a "spirited" drive in the ZL1. It is amazing how much power is in the last 1/4 travel of the accelerator pedal. It feels like there is and extra 150hp there but you have to go deep into the accelerator to access it. Like pinned to the floor.
2019 Tesla Model 3