Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-20-2022, 12:17 AM   #15
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
650 hp seems to be enough for me at the present time. I did put a RotoFab CAI on mine though a couple of years ago which made a slight difference in running and it looks good too! I have less than a year and it will be paid off and then maybe do some exhaust mods. I do understand people modding theirs and I have had a few modded cars over the years and it seems to be an addiction once you start mods!
Old 06-20-2022, 12:42 AM   #16
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
For me, I usually go Suspension first. But I also prefer to track the cars. I did a roto and axle back. Going to do headers and pulley next. prob call it good after that.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:37 AM   #17
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
For me I like having a cammed car. But in order to have that, you should also have supporting mods or it's just a waste of money to pull the engine just for a cam. Do I need or can I use all this power on the street, frankly no. It has been a dream of mine for many years to have the ultimate muscle car after Vietnam. This will be my last car I buy and mod as I am 74. I have modded every car and bike I have ever owned due to my many years racing cars and bikes. Some of us are just plain gearheads, it gets in your blood.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:12 AM   #18
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
I always mod my cars, but I won't mod this one. I only fitted a RotoFab cai and an AWE Touring axleback exhaust. It has plenty of power, all the way through the rev range and it's actually more than I need for the occasional road race in Mexico (oops, I am in the UK!). There are hardly any cars that can beat this beast stock. In a couple of years, when I get used to the power, I may consider some serious modding. But not now. This car has all I need - and actually more!
Old 06-20-2022, 07:22 AM   #19
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Because the competition has more power. When you come up on a GT500 or a Hellcat (especially a redeye) we want to make sure we don't get walked.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:34 AM   #20
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
The same reasons that folks modify any other car. To personalize the car, or to add more power, or for better handling or better braking. The list goes on and on. As someone said on this thread before it's addicting. The type of modifications may be different on say a ZL1 versus a Miata, but many people still want to mod them.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #21
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
I've been gridlocked on this subject personally.

I installed a Flex Fuel sensor and a RotoFab intake. i've been thinking about doing the Ported blower 103TB mods and possibly headers to make the car sound fantastic. However, in all fairness, I don't drive the car around with the traction control turned off.

I think that before I add more power I should probably make it a goal to keep traction off 100% of the time. I'm driving as fast as I can on the track but I feel like there are still a few areas where I can improve. I've gotten pulled off the corners by a GT3, and a Nissan GTR. Granted, architecturally those cars put the power down a little better than the Camaro and with 100 less horsepower. So I'm not sure that more power is the answer.

When running a log while in competition RACE mode I noticed that the ECM pulls about 3* of timing after 6,500rpm so power is being cut anyways. With that said, I think that adding power would be a waste of money if we're restricting ourselves with the TC. Just some food for thought. CarAndDriver and also Motor Trend set their fastest laps with the TC completely turned off. It's that restrictive!

So in my humble opinion, for those of us taking corners, I'm not sure that more power is the answer. I've also seen SS 1LEs setting fast laps at my local tracks that I have yet to crack, and with much less power.

I do think that the ZL1 1LE could benefit from maybe some more downforce and a weight reduction.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #22
Owl3

Drives: 24 Sliverado 1500 ZR2, 2017 ZL1
Ever driven a car with over 1,000 HP at the wheels?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:56 AM   #23
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
For me I like having a cammed car. But in order to have that, you should also have supporting mods or it's just a waste of money to pull the engine just for a cam. Do I need or can I use all this power on the street, frankly no. It has been a dream of mine for many years to have the ultimate muscle car after Vietnam. This will be my last car I buy and mod as I am 74. I have modded every car and bike I have ever owned due to my many years racing cars and bikes. Some of us are just plain gearheads, it gets in your blood.

Out of curiosity... did you do your cam install yourself?
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #24
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Out of curiosity... did you do your cam install yourself?
I did not but, some of the other components yes.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #25
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Fair question… for me there are a couple answers. Number one, part of the enjoyment I get from owning this vehicle is not just from waiting all week until Saturday morning when I get to wipe it down and take it out for a drive, but equal part detailing it, and modifying it. Looking back at the cards that I found this one is no different, I get an equal part of pleasure researching, planning, and doing the work myself, I get just as much fun out of doing that as I do actually driving in. The second reason is, this is still a pony car. This is not a supercar. We will never be able to say that Chevy spared no expense. It’s actually quite the opposite, Chevy had to pinch a lot of pennies to make a car that’s great at this price point. For me, 650 fly wheel horsepower is not enough for a car this heavy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very quick car in stock form. But after you drive that car for a while and you start getting used to the power level, I don’t know how people don’t start wanting more. I can tell you that once I went from 650 fly wheel horsepower to 650 rear wheel horsepower, this thing is so much more fun in every way, and I see no reason that GM could not have done this from the factory. Even if they would’ve at least given us a flex fuel sensor with the capability of running 85 or a blend, this car would’ve been at a whole new level. I guess that’s also why I’m planning my third round of mods which will add another hundred horsepower. Pulling the engine to add the cam it’s going to be so much fun for me. Hopefully that gives you some insight. I think it all comes down to peoples aptitude, interests, and how their hobbies and skill sets intersect with the toys that they have. For many of us on the forum, modifying our cars is 50% of the fun of owning one. Hopefully that helps you understand. Good luck on your journey.

My car is completely stock and I feel every bit of what this man said

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #26
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Because you don't get 650hp half the time with a stock ZL1...what you have is the ECU limiting power due to heat, lack of octane, and lack of traction. Tire, flex sensor, e60, and tune...then you will have a legit 650hp car all the time. And even then it's not enough power for some. These cars are so well built that they can handle another 200hp reliably.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #27
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedAway View Post
Curious about why the heck some (a ton apparently) people modify their ZL1s for even more power/louder exhausts.

Like, who says 650hp is not enough 😂?

I’ve modified slower cars before so I get it, but I struggle to hold onto the steering wheel while WOT + changing gears lol.

It’s pretty dang loud stock, but I also drive a ‘Vert so it’s more raw for me probably. Interested in seeing people’s responses
I don’t understand it either?! All that horsepower is fun, but quite useless
In this country, unless your a cop, and even then, I’ve seen cops give
Tickets or worse, to other cops!….I guess it comes down to whoever has
The biggest set of balls and thickest wallet!
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:23 AM   #28
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Fair question… for me there are a couple answers. Number one, part of the enjoyment I get from owning this vehicle is not just from waiting all week until Saturday morning when I get to wipe it down and take it out for a drive, but equal part detailing it, and modifying it. Looking back at the cards that I found this one is no different, I get an equal part of pleasure researching, planning, and doing the work myself, I get just as much fun out of doing that as I do actually driving in. The second reason is, this is still a pony car. This is not a supercar. We will never be able to say that Chevy spared no expense. It’s actually quite the opposite, Chevy had to pinch a lot of pennies to make a car that’s great at this price point. For me, 650 fly wheel horsepower is not enough for a car this heavy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very quick car in stock form. But after you drive that car for a while and you start getting used to the power level, I don’t know how people don’t start wanting more. I can tell you that once I went from 650 fly wheel horsepower to 650 rear wheel horsepower, this thing is so much more fun in every way, and I see no reason that GM could not have done this from the factory. Even if they would’ve at least given us a flex fuel sensor with the capability of running 85 or a blend, this car would’ve been at a whole new level. I guess that’s also why I’m planning my third round of mods which will add another hundred horsepower. Pulling the engine to add the cam it’s going to be so much fun for me. Hopefully that gives you some insight. I think it all comes down to peoples aptitude, interests, and how their hobbies and skill sets intersect with the toys that they have. For many of us on the forum, modifying our cars is 50% of the fun of owning one. Hopefully that helps you understand. Good luck on your journey.
I see you have a ZLE in So Cal with "Remote Tune and Moral Support from TED @ JRE". Do you run this car at Auto Club Speedway, Willow Springs, etc? That's how I use my 100% stock ZLE, I'm in LA.

I'm wondering how this JRE kit holds up under hard track use in the CA heat, and if you have any issues/codes from the tune or parts that require remote tech support from JRE. It seems like a good option for circuit use, but with more power comes more heat and this puts many car's cooling to the test.

Thanks!
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote